Canadian Money Forum banner

MBNA Smart Cash

25K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Barwelle 
#1 ·
MBNA is offering a $50 rebate if you apply for and are approved for a Smart Cash credit card through Great Canadian Rebates. For the first 6 months the card returns 5% on purchases of gas/ groceries up to $600 spending per month. After 6 months the cash back drops to 3%. The card has no annual fee.

www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/display/Finance/

Great Canadian Rebates is a portal to which a number of merchants are linked. If you buy through them you receive a cash rebate. I suspect the merchants and site collect data on our spending habits, but I shop with credit cards, so my spending is already tracked. You can receive the rebate as a cheque or as payment to your PayPal account. I have no affiliation to Great Canadian Rebates except as a consumer.

If you plan to apply for the card anyways, why not get $50 for it?

#4 ·
Anyone else have a problem applying for MBNA cards on their site? Their 3rd party site asks you 3 personal questions and after I answer correctly it says I can not be verified (or something like that). Anybody else know if there is a way to apply and still get the rebate?

#9 ·
I have exact same issue as you do, I have tried 4 times from different computers on diffrent days, always get this issue. I contacted MBNA, they have no clue but suggest me to do the application online with warning of that I would not receive the rebate from GreatCandadianRebate.... :confused:.... I am thinking to give up....it is not worth spending such amount of time struggling with this issue....

Does someone have solution?

#11 ·
It is also my favorite card. Got back 300$ in cash in 2011 and you do not have to wait 12 months, the checks come in automatically. My financial advisor for my corporate account does not understand why I do not want the bank's card. But you can exchange those points for anything you want... yeah right, why the additionnal hassle ?

#18 ·
No- it's a straight up good deal (for a credit card). It's always on the top of 'best Canadian credit card' lists. I also like the extras aside from the cash back- extended warranty, insurance, etc. And no fee, with no minimum income level. I got one last year and use it for everything I can, even small purchases- it's a great way to track your monthly spending, and of course you are also getting a discount on everything you buy because of the cash back.

After reviewing all the cards available, I decided that paying a fee for a travel points card negated the points earned- or there are almost always stipulations as to when or with whom you can fly- I'd rather stick my cash back refunds into a designated travel fund or spend it/invest it where I want. Why not use the $25-$75 or whatever refund per month to bump up your automatic RRSP contribution?

#20 ·
I decided that paying a fee for a travel points card negated the points earned- or there are almost always stipulations as to when or with whom you can fly- I'd rather stick my cash back refunds into a designated travel fund or spend it/invest it where I want.
I've had a points card for a few years now, but just applied for an MBNA card this week. With the points card I had, they gave you 1% back in points, which is decent. But then there is a $24 annual fee, so my first $2400 in spending essentially made up for the fee, then they charged me $40 or $50 to redeem the points to buy flights! I'm keeping that card but going to the no-fee version that gives me 0.5% back, just to keep the credit history.

#21 · (Edited)
I've had a points card for a few years now, but just applied for an MBNA card this week. With the points card I had, they gave you 1% back in points, which is decent. But then there is a $24 annual fee, so my first $2400 in spending essentially made up for the fee, then they charged me $40 or $50 to redeem the points to buy flights! I'm keeping that card but going to the no-fee version that gives me 0.5% back, just to keep the credit history.
With my old Amex Airmiles card, I got 1 mile for every $20 that I spent. So to fly from Vancouver to Edmonton @ roughly 700 miles one way, it would cost me $14,000- but you can't use the miles at Xmas due to a blackout period, the only time I usually go. Or else you can't use them in conjunction with other offers, or it's used against the full fare value (not seat sale price), or only with such and such airline, or you have to stand on one foot while playing Purple Haze on a kazoo held in your left hand only, etc etc. Bullspit! With a card like MBNA, I can stick my refund into my bank account and use it for any ticket any time I want. So if i see a seat sale, I can just jump on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.