Canadian Money Forum banner

Introduce Yourself!

292K views 552 replies 471 participants last post by  FinFresh 
#1 ·
I thought I would start a thread so that we can get to know a little about the contributing community.

I'll kick things off. I am FrugalTrader (twitter), the blogger behind Million Dollar Journey and co-founder of Canadian Money Forum. To say the least, I am a personal finance and investing enthusiast who is on a journey to financial freedom.

Tell me a little about you!

#488 ·
Hi this is Brain Chris Manager at Promotional USB Drives Canada. I'm a computer science graduate and simple human beign. I believe in heping others and peace. I love humanity and want equal rights for all human beigns wirldwide.

We at our Business site, provides great oppertunity to business community to grow more telling them about latest marketing trends. we fel best for all domestic as well as business societies. I hope i'll be keep trying to help others.

Cheers

#Brain

#489 ·
Hi everyone, I'm a 59 year old sales executive who is itching to retire in the next few years. I started seriously investing about ten years ago and now I'm hooked on it.

Also I'm very interested in all the FI blogs and sites, I wish they (and the internet) were around thirty years ago!

#495 ·
Hi there,
I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to register! I'm living up in Yellowknife, NT.
I've been interested in PF for the past few years and I'm looking forward to joining the awesome discussion that goes on here.
Welcome to CMF. It can be a bit overwhelming at first but if you read often enough you will see a thread of common ideas as well as the less common.
At -27deg C and snow, its a safe bet you aren't outside washing the vehicle today. :)

#497 ·
Hi,

27 year old guy here from Grande Prairie. I'm slowly getting my feet back under me after a major financial mistake that cost me $20,000. I'm hoping I can learn alot here so when as I get my finances built back up I don't make stupid mistakes again. :)

The money diaries are very inspirational. I may do one down the road, but I'm no where even close to where alot of you folks are. LOL

#499 ·
Hey all you lovely people,

I am Sagar from Toronto, Canada. I am a huge blog enthusiast, a financial investor and software developer.

Recently I started my financial blog - personalfinancefreedomdotcom Do checkit out and please post your comments it helps me grow as a person. I am seriously very passionate about sharing my knowledge financially. I have been investing since early age and got into blogging recently.

Many thanks and god bless you all .. keep investing !!

#501 · (Edited)
Hello

Hi, I'm new here too!

I work with consumer loans, where I advise in the development of IT systems that optimizes the customers ability to find the best loans on the online market. The market is increasingly demanding cheap cosumer loans, that we try to provide them with. The goal is to make the loaning process as quick and simple as possible for our costumers! At Moneybanker, the costumer enter requirements to a new consumer loan, then the page will automatically find the loan that meets the customer's requirements.

Anyway, I look very much forward to contributing to the many threads on this site - and let myself be inspired by you!

Have a nice day :)

#503 ·
Late Comer to DIY Investing

Hello All,

I'm a late comer to the idea of DIY Investing. Started out the usual route when I was younger dumping money irrationally into mutual funds and not really paying attention to what my RRSP's were doing. I skipped several years contributions while raising a family but have come back to investing in earnest.

I've been reading lots of articles and books on investing in the past several years. I finally took the plunge into individual stock picks in the past few years by obtaining an initial company share and adding to it via the transfer agent. At this stage of my life, I don't expect to be able to retire financially independent on my dividend portfolio however I would like to supplement my retirement income via the dividends I am earning.

I suppose my children will reap more of the rewards from my investments than I will, but it will be nice to help cushion my retirement even just a little.

Thanks for reading.

JR

#504 ·
New

I am Matt from Toronto.

I am getting my finances in order very late in life -- I am in my 40s. I have zero savings. Yet, I have a decent job. Just frittered money away.

I want to change that, but investing is not an interest of mine; I am not in this for fun. Want to invest some $$$ without paying fees, learning to do it all myself.

I tried to sign up for Quest trade to get started with $1000 invested to learn the ropes, but the questions to register were too complicated to even get started. I do not want to go to a bank and get screwed paying someone else to manage stuff. I am registering here hoping to get simple answers to jump in.

Wish me luck!

Matt

#505 ·
I am Matt from Toronto.

I am getting my finances in order very late in life -- I am in my 40s. I have zero savings. Yet, I have a decent job. Just frittered money away.

I want to change that, but investing is not an interest of mine; I am not in this for fun. Want to invest some $$$ without paying fees, learning to do it all myself.

I tried to sign up for Quest trade to get started with $1000 invested to learn the ropes, but the questions to register were too complicated to even get started. I do not want to go to a bank and get screwed paying someone else to manage stuff. I am registering here hoping to get simple answers to jump in.

Wish me luck!

Matt
Good luck! You might like to try Tangerine for investments, they're excellent for beginners.

#506 ·
Hi, I'm Bill G.

I live in Toronto and have been here for 10+ years. I grew up mostly in Ottawa and lived/worked in Calgary for 10 years after University. I'm 43. Long-time follower of finances - read the Wealthy Barber, Peter Lynch "Beating the Street" (and others) and "Worth" magazine (any body remember that one?) in my early 20s. Self directed investor, have refocused my mutual fund portfolio to ETFs in the last 5 years. Cheers!

#508 ·
Hi, I'm Linda from Calgary. I went through a separation last year, and I'm trying to figure out my finances and taxes as a single mom, rather than as a couple with kids. I've been doing DIY investing, of the Couch Potato variety, for the last several years, but recently branched out to buying a few individual stocks to balance things out, since I felt the ETFs I had were weak in certain sectors.

#509 ·
Hi,

Names Girish, I have a diploma in Business-Accounting, just finished a BA in Psych and am working on a CPA designation. Switched careers after 10+ years in Hospo. I had some mutual funds for a couple years and got into value investing with my own portfolio last year. Pretty happy so far with the results. Looking to share some analysis and discussion with other investors.