TFSA contribution for new resident

Thread: TFSA contribution for new resident

TFSA contribution for new resident

Hello,

I landed in Canada in Dec 27th, 2010 as temporary worker, and got my SIN on Dec 29th, 2010. Apparently, I did not file taxes for 2010.

My question is, what would be my TFSA contribution on Jan1st, 2012.

Thanks

I think you would be better to direct your question to CRA, and let us know what their answer is.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t...trbtn-eng.html

But TFSA contribution room depends on your age and your status as a resident for tax purposes, not whether or not you filed an income tax return in any given year. So assuming you were a tax resident for 2011, you already have $5K of contribution room for 2011, and in Jan. 2012 you will get another $5K (unless it is increased to $5.5K - that hasn't been announced yet.)

I don't think you would be considered a resident for 2010 arriving so late in the year, but it can't hurt to ask.

I got the contribution for 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by mina124 View Post
    I got the contribution for 2010.
    That is interesting fact to share with the forum readers! I assume that this was based on the date of arrival? Not the date that you got your SIN?

Quote Originally Posted by OhGreatGuru View Post
    I don't think you would be considered a resident for 2010 arriving so late in the year, but it can't hurt to ask.
    That doesn't matter. Any contribution room for TFSA/RESP etc is based on any eligibility for a calendar year. A baby born on Dec 31 of 2010 would still get the full RESP grant-eligible contribution for 2010 for example.
    Mike Holman
    Money Smarts Blog Investing and Personal Finance

Quote Originally Posted by Guban View Post
    That is interesting fact to share with the forum readers! I assume that this was based on the date of arrival? Not the date that you got your SIN?
    From CRA Web Site: TFSA contribution room

Starting in 2009, TFSA contribution room accumulates every year, if at any time in the calendar year you are 18 years of age or older, have a valid Canadian social insurance number and are a resident of Canada.

According to OP, he landed Dec.27, 2010, received his SIN Dec. 29, 2010, and I presume was over 18. So he qualifies on all 3 conditions for 2010.

It would be an interesting question what CRA would have done if there had been an administrative delay in processing his SIN. I suspect they would stick to their rule and disqualify him for 2010, because it's a decision-making discriminator that is very easy to apply, and they wouldn't want to set precedents for exceptions.

Last edited by OhGreatGuru; 2013-03-12 at 07:24 PM.