What would you do with $15M? - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with $15M?

Wow…. That’s some serious money mate. I would say bonds would be great idea with potential of gaining nearly 1-2% returns per month which is scary with the upfront money of 15M! You should not be required to worry about anything at all with that mate…. Your life is already set and so is your family’s.

Quote Originally Posted by ValMiks10 View Post
    Wow…. That’s some serious money mate. I would say bonds would be great idea with potential of gaining nearly 1-2% returns per month....
    You cannot be serious.

Quote Originally Posted by ValMiks10 View Post
    .... bonds would be great idea with potential of gaining nearly 1-2% returns per month ......
    retailers and investment houses would kill for those returns, not even the Iron Bank of Bravos gives that kind of returns with their bonds...let alone stocks....

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jerryhung View Post
    Wow, I know we have had $1M, $2M threads, but $15M? CONGRATS

I would not be online anymore, go enjoy life

But seriously, look into active/wealth management, Mawer is good
    Can you please point me to these $1M and $2M threads if they've been particularly vibrant discussions? I haven't found much via searching. Thank you.

We sold our business in stages 3-4 years ago for nowhere near your money but it was 7 figures.We have done the same with the large amounts as we did with lower amounts , still slowly moving cash into non registered accounts and buying dividend paying stocks .FYI the bulk is at TD Direct Investing but recently opened an account with CIBC.

Quote Originally Posted by janus10 View Post
    If I suddenly found myself in the position to have many, many millions, I would NOT come here seeking input. What exactly suggests that people here are qualified to understand and offer professional advice taking into account all that would be appropriate for a sound financial plan?
    It seemed clear the OP was looking for ideas ... and was planning on taking it slow. The ideas might not be scale able but would at least give independent confirmation, should a pro give similar input. Sort of like being able to be confident of the cost base numbers when one's independent calculations and the broker's numbers agree.

Quote Originally Posted by janus10 View Post
    ... I would be shutting off almost all online activity unless it was research.
    Very odd behavior IMO.
    The flip side of the coin is the Quebec gas station owner who handed off to his "pro" broker. The broker churned though the $2 million from the business sale in trading fees in a couple of years, despite the family's protests of how the stocks selected didn't match was he asked for.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tygrus View Post
    This thread is fishy for another reason. Nobody would buy a 15M business that doesn't have an established revenue stream. So why would you sell a revenue stream to put it into another revenue stream you know nothing about. You know your business better than any alternative investment.
    And if no one in the family wants to keep running the business where the owner also wants to step down ... what then?

Some want to work until they drop and other's don't.

Quote Originally Posted by tygrus View Post
    Dividends are definitely the way to avoid as much tax as possible, but they come with a catch....volatility ...
    ??? ... with $15 million, likely one is going to be above $85K to $91K of income.

Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia, to name a few tax jurisdictions, at these income levels are taxing eligible dividends more than capital gains. Top end spreads are around 13% more tax on dividends.

Cheers

Cheers
    Last edited by Eclectic12; 2017-03-20 at 04:03 PM.

$15 M is a crazy amount of money, if still true.

I stand by a simple 50/50 bond/equity split. That should yield about 3% or so. That's $450,000 per year every year for life....and your kid's and your kid's kids....

Otherwise, MAW105 http://www.mawer.com/our-funds/fund-...balanced-fund/
    ...is great as well.

Just keep your investing fees very low and don't trade!

Geez....$15 M. Wild. Some big fun parties in your future with $450k per year.
    Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

why would anyone go on about this old thread today, months after the fact, though.

the OP was for real. Had a partnership where he was the sole rainmaker, the others weren't pulling their weight & everybody knew it.

he sought advice on how to wind up the partnership without causing ill feelings under another name in this forum. Then returned in this thread with the $15M after the partners decided to liquidate. But at $15M, he was totally out of our league. As mukhang pera said, when has a cmffer ever had 15 million dollars?

our friend is gone now, gone to that fabulous playland of the truly hyper-rich. Leaving us to slog on in the mud about our wretched little dividends & our miserable XIRRs .

ego borago gaudia semper ago

Quote Originally Posted by humble_pie View Post
    .why would anyone go on about this old thread today, months after the fact, though...
    They shoot first, read later?

Last edited by OnlyMyOpinion; 2017-03-20 at 07:06 PM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast