What would you do with $15M? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do with $15M?

I would buy a blue water sailboat and go cruising till it's all gone.

i think he should buy a small island & then secede from canada

it'd be a blast to have your own country

Wow, I know we have had $1M, $2M threads, but $15M? CONGRATS

I would not be online anymore, go enjoy life

But seriously, look into active/wealth management, Mawer is good

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I'm speaking K,M,B language so I did mean millions. Seems like a lot of money.

MOA / OGG
    What I was thinking was, even though I understand and buy into the philosophy of passive investing... well, I don't have any experience with a "reputable wealth management firm". I expect that the management firm won't totally mess things up, its just a question of whether their management is worth it. I thought maybe I should try that angle out with a portion of the stake for the experience. Whatever I do, as long as it is conservative, I can always move the capital to another scheme as I learn more. I figure I have enough to do more than one scheme and then evaluate.

But the "if it aint broke dont fix it" feedback is good! Thanks!

gibor / dubmac / jerry
    Thanks for the recommendations. I have not looked up MAWER although I've seen the name - I will definitely check them out.

Mukhang - yeah, I won't be investing in real-estate in Vancouver... I think that bubble is about to pop. I might buy a condo at a ski hill, anything further in real estate I was thinking a REIT. I don't want to be a landlord and trust property management firms as much as I trust mutual fund salesmen.

Eder - that is remarkably close to what I want to do (minus the "till its gone" part)

jerry - for the record it isn't in my bank account yet. And , yeah, I've been reading a lot of websites that talk about "what to do if you win the lottery" and the general advice is : don't do anything sudden or drastic.

It may seem weird to be asking for advice on-line for this kind of situation... I should be talking to professionals or something. But, I figure I should listen to a wide range of sources before I make any decision. You can tell I'm the analysis-paralysis kind of personality. But this community seems like a good place to start when looking for resources!

Thanks again!

has anybody noticed how regularly they turn up here?

brand-new posters, never seen before, but somehow they've recently managed to acquire $1-15M dollars.

even though they were smart enough to acquire the $1000K in the first place, somehow they get all naiive & tongue-tied when it comes to investing.

even though they would have had the best accountants in town to build that business - or granpappy who died & left that $1B would have had the best financial advisors in the free world - nevertheless once the funds fall into their allegedly innocent hands, somehow our novice newbie millionnaires turn into investment 12-year-olds.

help, they go, please help me? should i buy XIU? should i buy VTI? should i be doing a couch potato? help, could somebody please tell me what is a couch potato?

always, without exception, up step the cmf forum stalwarts with their *advice.*

the stalwarts wouldn't step up for $50k, but oh my, how they love to step up with advice for what they believe is $1M.

always, we see how - once the flurry of excited posts dies down - the novice millionnaires vanish with their fortunes, never to be seen again.

the repetition has gotten to the point where i've become a total cynic. I think these sudden newbie millionnaires might be plants. I think they are fictions. I think they are fairy tales injected into the forum on a regular basis in order to perk up financial interest from readers who are drop-dead bored with the never-ending fights over nazis, arabs, moslems & refugees.

Good point, this is all really very disturbing.

There are few alternative explanations for this phenomenon other than the aliens who are using this complex, human-driven cmf platform for purposes of mind control. It is said that the alien mind control approach is actually a cover story intended to conceal something even more disturbing than aliens, that being an encroachment on the very souls of those chosen to be victims of government and military experiments that seek to control the workings of the human brain itself for purposes of psychological warfare and for intelligence operations requiring a “zombie” type agent who has no idea he is carrying out a covert mission at all.

The only other explanation would be that the posters are telling the truth and who would believe that???

the previous suddenly-rich newcomer said he only had $1.5M

his superficial details - how he supposedly got his money - were different but the language signature was identical

please, please, please, please, please give me advice, he said
    i'm just an innocent who wouldn't know a stock from a sandbox, he said with a

the stalwarts feasted on that story for a few days

it gave the oh-so-obvious couch-potato-financial-planner-insurance-broker-mortgage-broker salesmen on here a grand opportunity to showcase their wares

as soon as the buzz wore off, $1.5 million dollars vanished
    never to be seen or heard from again

alas, financial forums attract more than their fair share of chicanery

I have several friends have have north of $10 million. Mostly they are interested in nice homes and cottages, nice cars, and sometimes nice boats. Only one hangs around the internet because he manages his own portfolio. He is careful not to divulge the size of his stash. He has found resentment/disbelief when he does so.

All these people made their money by developing a business and selling it. We share some common interests but our budget prohibits us from participating fully.

If I suddenly found myself in the position to have many, many millions, I would NOT come here seeking input. What exactly suggests that people here are qualified to understand and offer professional advice taking into account all that would be appropriate for a sound financial plan?

I would be shutting off almost all online activity unless it was research.

Very odd behavior IMO.
    Last edited by janus10; 2016-07-30 at 11:28 AM.

I would pay off all debts. Spend 1.5 mill. Then put the remaining ~13 mill in a 60% fixed and 40% equity split in a couch potato and live off the interest.

What is that? Half a mill salary each year at 4%? That'll do.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast