Is driveway sealing worth it? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is driveway sealing worth it?

It's weird how geographically dependent this is. Out here, nobody has asphalt driveways. Everyone is concrete.
    When we lived in Ottawa, I remember leaving my bike on it's kickstand on the asphalt driveway in the summer. The kickstand would melt a hole in the asphalt from the heat and pressure.
    Not a problem out here with the concrete. Probably more expensive up front, but lasts longer.

^ Where I'm from, it differs as close as the next neighborhood. The split overall I'd say is 50% uni-stone, 45% asphalt and 5% concrete. The neighborhood and home type will determine what is used. Single dwellings tend to prefer stone where multi-res prefer asphalt. As for the kick stands melting a hole - in my area, that only happens to those who use residential grade asphalt. Majority will use commercial grade. Commercial grade contains more rock, making its less smooth but more durable. Asphalt users eventually upgrade to uni-stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgage u/w View Post
    I would choose uni-stone as opposed to concrete. The advantage of uni-stone is that any repairs needed to your driveway can be seamlessly and easily recovered by the same uni-stone. Asphalt or concrete will require its entire replacement unless you are willing to live with cut lines. Concrete can also crack - which you will have to either live with or pay to redo the whole thing again.
    In the Northern plains, concrete driveways are poured over concrete tubes that extend below the frost line. They never crack! My neighbor had his fill fall away, and the driveway stood its ground in the air! By comparison, asphalt is a temporary fix!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Out here, uni stone (i had to look up what that meant) would be an extremely rare luxury. There might be 100-200 houses in the entire city that have it.

Yes, the concrete cracks over time. If it sinks, there's many companies that can jack it up. I think they use expanding foam now rather than mud.

Just odd geographical differences. Everyone out here would be flabbergasted that people out east rent their hot water heaters at a rate high enough to pay for it every 3 years.

uni-stone is just brick pavers, right? There are a decent mix of pavers, concrete and asphalt in the GTA. I would say concrete is the premium option (especially when done with some cosmetic touches like colouring/patterns).

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Everyone out here would be flabbergasted that people out east rent their hot water heaters at a rate high enough to pay for it every 3 years.
    [hijack on] Believe me, there are many easterners like myself who can't figure that one out either. Rent your waterheater - do you realize what that actually costs you? To me it would be like renting your stove or your fridge. [/hijack off]

ltr

Out here, uni stone (i had to look up what that meant) would be an extremely rare luxury. There might be 100-200 houses in the entire city that have it.
    Its considered more luxurious than asphalt or concrete but we wouldn't consider it an extreme luxury. Maybe its due to the high demand and availability that the cost would be lower than elsewhere? I'm in Montreal by the way.

A typical cost is between $15 and $20 per square foot for a simple installation. Add retaining walls and staircases and the price jumps. By contrast, asphalt is $10 - $12 per square foot. A common trend is an asphalt and uni-stone combo. The perimeter is uni-stone and the center is asphalt.

Those who chose concrete will most always use stamped-cement which is not cheap.

It's weird how geographically dependent this is. Out here, nobody has asphalt driveways. Everyone is concrete.
    When we lived in Ottawa, I remember leaving my bike on it's kickstand on the asphalt driveway in the summer. The kickstand would melt a hole in the asphalt from the heat and pressure ...
    Yes ... my brother-in-law near Windsor insisted on concrete. Around the KW, Hamilton and St. Catharines area - only saw a day or two in decade the might come close to "hole" situation.

Isn't Ottawa supposed to be colder?

Cheers

Just odd geographical differences. Everyone out here would be flabbergasted that people out east rent their hot water heaters at a rate high enough to pay for it every 3 years.
    Sometimes its due to geography and sometimes taxes, culture, group think, keeping up with the jones, societal normals

The standard driveway in Germany was interlocking brick, but they don't have to deal with as much scraping snow and salt. They redid the entire downtown with interlocking brick while I was there. Their standard new house is geothermal and solar so they would be flabbergasted that people still buy traditional hot water heaters

Motorbike kickstands will easily put a dent in hot asphalt. Thats why many riders carry a puck.. I just weld on a larger foot
    amat victoria curam

I'm an easterner who agrees that it is insane to rent a water heater. Wait until you hear about people renting their furnaces and air conditioners. I mean, if you can't afford to maintain your home, maybe you shouldn't own it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast