Is driveway sealing worth it? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is driveway sealing worth it?

My house is the only one in the neighbourhood that has a concrete paver (uni-stone?) driveway. Approx. 55' long, single, but double at the street, for a spot in front of the house. It was previously gravel, driven into the clay....wagon tracks. We priced out a concrete pour, asphalt, and concrete pavers. The pavers, pit run, gravel, and compactor rental came in the least expensive. We were already planning on doing a rear patio to replace a deck, a raised pond, and block raised beds, with a 10 x 20 gazebo. Ourselves. What's another week's work?

The nice thing about pavers is that you can use your own labour to avoid labour costs. That's an unlikely option with concrete, and definitely not an option with asphalt. Pavers, IMO, look the nicest, and as mentioned, can be removed and returned for any necessary work below. Re-levelling is a quick, cheap compactor rental, if necessary, with a bit of sand or stone dust if frost becomes an issue.

Pavers also allow for relatively easy surface engineering to direct water where you wish it to go. Less than a year after we did our driveway, which wrapped around to form the patio, a city watermain broke in the middle of the night (winter), flooding our driveway. Because we had engineered for run-off or melt, the 6-8" of water flowed down our driveway, around to the back of the house, across the patio, and to the rear corner of our yard. It did flood our garage (previous owner built it below street level), but there was zero damage to our house because the water could easily escape.

Rental water heaters started when they were a new thing, more expensive and less reliable than today. Imagine if a new water heater cost $5000 and required repairs every year or 2, but the electric company or gas company was willing to rent you one for $20 a month and fix it for free. The utility company was willing to rent them at cost or maybe less, in order to encourage the use of their services.

I don't know why anyone would rent them today other than force of habit, or contractors putting them in new homes because the first cost is cheaper.

my old man used to seal the asphalt driveway every two years and it would crack.
    then he got a new driveway (ripped it up, new gravel, new asphalt) and the company who did it told him not to seal it.
    14 years later.. no cracks.
    mind you it's not exactly black.. more like grey.. but no cracks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    It's weird how geographically dependent this is. Out here, nobody has asphalt driveways. Everyone is concrete.
    When we lived in Ottawa, I remember leaving my bike on it's kickstand on the asphalt driveway in the summer. The kickstand would melt a hole in the asphalt from the heat and pressure.
    Not a problem out here with the concrete. Probably more expensive up front, but lasts longer.
    Yeah and I just can't understand WHY it's so geographically dependent. In one town almost every house has an asphalt driveway and in another town almost every house has a concrete one.

I'm just chiming in on the tail end of this thread...haven't read any of the posts...
    But has anyone commented that it's not really "sealer", it really just a coat of "paint" ...?
    I paint mine once a year....(with the cheap stuff from can. tire) takes couple of hours on a nice summer day. For rest of the year i've got as nice a lookin' driveway as any in the 'hood. BFD!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234