Is driveway sealing worth it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is driveway sealing worth it?

Thanks for the opinions guys.

What do you think of concrete driveways? We had one when I was a kid. In fact, in the neighborhood I grew up in, I seem to remember most houses had concrete or brick driveways. But in my current neighborhood I don't see a single house with a concrete driveway, it's almost always asphalt and I saw one brick. I wonder why that is? Is it because concrete has gotten more expensive recently? Or is it just a case of one house doing something and then all the other houses copying that because they can't think for themselves?

Asphalt driveways have always been the less expensive choice.

Concrete is more expensive.
    That's why most roads are asphalt.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Agreed. Concrete is always expensive and a pain to set up as you need to get consistency right as well as hoping for good weather but worth it if you plan to live in the same house for years. When my parents moved into the house 18 years ago, the concrete driveway that was there was apparently installed back in 1980. That driveway is still going strong with no cracks!

Our two neighbours had asphalt driveways installed at same time about 15 years ago by the same company. One sealed it every 1-2 years, the other didn't. Take a guess at which one had to put in new asphalt last year...

Yup concrete is more expensive, but it lasts longer and requires less maintenance so wouldn't it be cheaper in the long term? It also looks nicer. Also since it's a lighter color, spills and tire skid marks and stuff like that is more visible.

To me it seems really silly to spend 500k on a house, then try to save a measly amount by cheaping out on the driveway. It's called being penny wise and pound foolish.

There are so many products that can be used to seal its driveway. Acrylic, bitumen, coal tar. Is there a product better than the others?

Also, concrete can affect your taxes. If you look at your property lines, generally a large percentage of your driveway is on municipal land that you maintain. Beneath that portion of your driveway are pipes, wires, and assorted sundries that you never think about. If you cover them in asphalt, crew can dig it out with a backhoe and replace in kind. Similar with interlock, the bricks can be relaid. For concrete though, the driveway has to be saw cut, then a truck has to be brought in to re-pour the section that was cut out. because of this added cost, many municipalities will raise taxes or charge a fee on concrete driveways in order to discourage them.

Also without the flex of asphalt and the movement of interlock, concrete can break and become quite ugly surprisingly fast. Check your soils and be sure to have a good base under it, a proper mix, a skilled installer, and good weather to avoid a monolithic nightmare. Of course the larger the driveway the lower the probability of everything going right. This is not to say that a preference one way or the other really makes any difference. I mean, two tire ruts through a field serve many as a perfectly serviceable access.

I would choose uni-stone as opposed to concrete. The advantage of uni-stone is that any repairs needed to your driveway can be seamlessly and easily recovered by the same uni-stone. Asphalt or concrete will require its entire replacement unless you are willing to live with cut lines. Concrete can also crack - which you will have to either live with or pay to redo the whole thing again.

As for the asphalt sealer, I have used it purely for cosmetic purposes. Pitch black is always nicer that dull grey. Sure it may 'prolong' or 'protect' somewhat, who knows, but all things come to an end. Once you get 20-25 years out your driveway, chances are you'll want to replace it anyways.

Yes, it is worth it.

Those nice driveways with stone always look so pretty but just a bit of rain or snow and it's slippery like a skating rink. I'll stick with asphalt and reseal every 2 years or so.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast