Canadian Money Forum banner

hotel room

6K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Spudd 
#1 ·
I live in Ottawa and my daughter has to fly out of Toronto early Monday morning. WE are going to drive to Toronto Sunday afternoon. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on an OK motel in west end of Toronto. Nothing fancy.. place to sleep and clean...

#7 ·
I second the recommendation for airbnb, we've had good luck with them to date and excellent prices for the most part. I stayed in one in Toronto earlier this year for $60/night in the heart of the Annex. We rented an entire apartment in Rennes, France, for $64/night Canadian; a comparable hotel would have cost us more than $100.

#12 · (Edited)
I booked my hotel (Don Valley Inn and suites) with Hotwire.
This hotel is closer to where my mother and brother live, but I can't stay with them anymore because of the stairs,
and I have to rely on a power chair these days. I'm travelling to Toronto with a Hertz wheelchair van and
my friend is driving and staying with me in a room with two single beds.

For 3 nights with taxes it came out to $394.40. Room rate averages out to $113 a night. Fri: $115, Sat: 120, Sun:$105

The only extras appear to be breakfast $12.95 per person and a self parking fee of $11.95 per night, so this actually raises my room rate to $113 + $26 (breakfast) + $11.95 parking = $151 per night. When the extras are added in with the room rate, it doesn't seem to be such a good deal, even booking online..but these are downtown Toronto rates.

#13 · (Edited)
I would not hesitate at staying near airport. I did this for a week in April, cost was around $120 per night, had full hot and cold breakfast, parking is at a premium so look into this. Fairfield Inn had very limited, but I got a spot and left vehicle there until end of stay. Also had Marriot on Dixon little cheaper in May but $15 per day parking. In this weather you can walk to any restaurant, I normally Uber for about $10 each way.

For those worried about the $10-$20, just do the 4hr drive non-stop both ways, pack a homemade lunch, some snacks and drinks.

#14 · (Edited)
An example, saving money on hotel rooms and the technique I use. I just booked something in southern California for early January. For consistency below I show all price in USD after all taxes and fees, for a three day booking.

I started on hotels.com and looked around. I found a reasonably good hotel with a sale, and booked a fully refundable hotel. This price was $287. I always make a refundable reservation first, so I have something to fall back on. This is a hotel I stayed at before and like, and it really is a good price, so I know it's good value. I'd be happy paying this $287 if I got stuck doing that.

Then I went to hotwire.com and looked around. I always look at 3 stars and above on hotwire. The price there would have been $258, but I did not purchase it just yet. This is a secret/unknown hotel, but at that star level and in that location, it would be acceptable too.

Next I went to priceline.com and used "bidding". I selected a zone and again specified 3 stars. I made one bid at $239, which was rejected. Then I made a second bid at $242 by adding another zone and it was accepted. The resulting hotel turned out to be the same one in my original refundable booking. Note that this is a nonrefundable purchase so you should be positive about your travel dates.

So with just a bit of work I brought the price down from $287 to $242 ... a 16% reduction. In this case it's not a massive savings and in hindsight I probably could have bid an even lower price. But this is the general idea. Now I'll go back and cancel my refundable booking.

#16 · (Edited)
Hotels near Toronto YYZ are a cinch. Start the stopwatch...

Go to hotwire. Put in YYZ and maybe Dec 14, one night. Click Toronto Airport West and East regions only. Sort by price.

Found 3.5 star hotel in Toronto Airport East, with airport shuttle listed under services. This is going to be a good hotel, at this star level. $88 for one night, all taxes included. Yes it's in Canadian dollars.

Stopwatch is at 02:30

(Note: parking can be a complication when you use Hotwire. Look for hotels that say there is free parking. But since you don't know the exact hotel, you don't know if it will be near long term parking. This $88 one I showed does not offer free parking.)

#22 ·
I've stayed in hostels in Canada/US. Never a problem. Booking online gives you access to ratings where you can filter out the "homeless shelters". Like I said, I may be starting to get too old and starting to make too much money for this to be a thing for me much longer. But frugality always stays with you, and hotel prices for one person are still unreasonable.

#24 ·
I've stayed at Hostelling International hostels in Sweden, and they were very nice. Hopefully, that means their hostels in North America are also nice. http://hostellingtoronto.com/

The only thing to be aware of is normally, they ask you to bring your own bed linens, or you can rent them for an additional fee. Although, the Toronto one says linens are provided, so I guess it varies by location.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.