Ability to edit posts? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ability to edit posts?

It is set to 2 days to give members enough time to edit and correct their posts. Having it set to indefinitely can cause members to delete and edit most of their post, if they are old post it would cause holes in the system, which would create issues on the site.

~ Glenda

I don't know why that would create issues on the site. I run a forum and have it set to delete old posts after a time to save storage space. Why would people manually deleting their posts cause any kind of technical problem?

BoringInvestor, if they don't change it back, you can use the quote feature to do the templating, at least. It won't help with your point (a) though.

By 'holes in the system' Glenda is referring to the conversations picked up by the search bots. We get better rankings when information and threads are kept intact. This is why we limit edits and deletes.

The quote function will work for grab the formatting from whichever post you are looking to copy over.

If you need an older post edited, you can send a PM with the link and what information needs to be updated. We or the mods can handle it for you.

Dayle

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cmfadmin View Post
    When was the last time you tried to do this? Right now the limits have been set to 2days after posting for edits. Not sure if this was done intentionally or not. Need to investigate.

Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by cmfadmin View Post
    It is set to 2 days to give members enough time to edit and correct their posts. Having it set to indefinitely can cause members to delete and edit most of their post, if they are old post it would cause holes in the system, which would create issues on the site.

~ Glenda
    This is a new issue (feature? ). I could edit old posts indefinitely until just the last month or so.

I'm trying to track down when it would have been changed, we don't typically run no limit editing so it's possible someone noticed and corrected it.

Kyle

Can't save edited posts at the moment for some reason? No save button in editing mode? There's a repeated "edit" button though and tagging edit buttons???
    Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized.-A. Einstein

i think our overlords & masters might be tinkering with the Edit function today. I just tried it & observed - for the very first time - a tiny pencil graphic under "Edit."

click the pencil et voilą, one has a choice between Edit or Delete.

i don't know if what i stumbled on is only a beta version or what. I didn't try it out. Still, it looked good.

ego borago gaudia semper ago

i think our overlords & masters might be tinkering with the Edit function today. I just tried it & observed - for the very first time - a tiny pencil graphic under "Edit."

click the pencil et voilą, one has a choice between Edit or Delete.

i don't know if what i stumbled on is only a beta version or what. I didn't try it out. Still, it looked good.

PS click on the pencil graphic next to the repeat Edit prompt ...

now the beta pencil is not working

i have a pair of duplicate posts but can't get the pencil to open to offer the Delete prompt

here betabetabeta! good doggie! betabeta!

Can you please screencap what you're seeing?

Kyle

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast