Canadian Money Forum banner

Tuition/Education carry forward

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Micvanlen 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am a recently graduated MBA student filing Canadian taxes for the first time. I have a three questions I was wondering about:

1) How far back can you go to claim educational expenses? Reason being I also attended undergrad in Canada from 2003-2007 and was wondering if that was claimable now that I am back in Canada and actually working.

2)I didn't file taxes last year and my school has split the tuition between 2014/2015. Would it be acceptable to add them together for the 2015 year considering I have not filed previously?

3) I have also completed many Canadian Securities Institute courses, though while living overseas(2010-2014), probably pushing the limits here but do you think they would be deductible?

Thank you very much for any assistance.
Regard,
Robert

#2 ·
you need to file for the tax year that the t2202 is from, and then the amounts will carry forward if you don't use them... file your 2014 taxes, you can do that online for the 2013, 2014, and 2015 years still... .anything older than that you need to send it in on paper by mail

you need those t2202 forms from the school, it shows qualified tuition paid as well as the number of months you were deemed a part time or full time student, you need this information from those forms

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.