Saving on razors
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving on razors

Saving on razors

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I wanted to let everyone know about this great find. I used to shave with gilette fusion or similar products. The price of the replacement cartridges has gone through the roof, apparently people are stealing them now because they are behind locked cabinets at walmart.

In a recent trip to Asia I discovered two great and cheap ways to shave. The first is the shavette and the second is the double edge safety razor. Both use disposable double edge razor blades which sell on amazon for around $0.10-0.20 a blade. The shavette is like a reloadable straight razor and is harder to use. The DE safety razor is easier and provides just as close a shave.

With these I use a $1 bar of shave soap and a $4 brush. Since I have a light beard, one blade lasts me more about a month. I enjoyed the shave so much I bought a $40 DE razor as a treat, it will last a lifetime. But there are $10 safety razors which are also good quality and also the best bargain and now retired as my travel razor, the gillette click. These are plastic body safety razors that sell in SE asia for less than $1. They come with a blade in the package and give a very good shave.

A lot of people online rave about how these give a much better shave than cartridge razors. I find they are about the same as a fresh cartridge. But the cost is much lower using disposable blades.

I stock up on ebay. There's always a liquidation company getting rid of a case lot. I think I paid something like 30 cents a cartridge for Mach 3 blades. Original packaging and all that. I bought a bunch 4 years ago and probably still have 3 years worth of blades. 100 blades maybe?

I picked up 100 feather blades for about $20, and I spent a bit extra on a badger brush for $30, and I recieved 3 hand me down vintage DE razors from the 40's. You can pick up an excellent Merkur razor for $30 off Amazon.

I figure I run about $0.025 per pass. I do 5 shave sessions with 2 passes each for each blade. Each blade gives for a total of 10 shaves that feel like fresh new blade shaves. Good bye irritation and good bye sloppy mach 3 shaves. I have a thick face, and the mach 3's would still leave some sand paper. I figured each cartridge lasts about 10 shaves, so that's north of $0.25 / shave vs the nickel per shave using a DE razor.

I am sold on the classic DE razor. It not only produces a better shave, but has turned shaving into an enjoyable hobby/ritual. If you still enjoy your cartridge blades, at the very least start to face lather with a brush. I have introduced friends, and there is no turning back.

The only issue is if you travel. The DE blades are not authorized for carry on, where I believe cartridge blades are authorized. Check them, or bring the face ripper mach 3.
    Last edited by Ag Driver; 2016-03-23 at 09:03 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

A single fusion blade lasts 10 to 12 months using this technique!!!

I know a lot of people don't like electric razors, but if they work for you it can be the cheapest solution in the long term. I have a Braun electric razor that I bought in 2004; I've only had to replace the blade once since then, so in total it works out to a cost of about $6 per year.

Quote Originally Posted by twowheeled View Post
    The price of the replacement cartridges has gone through the roof, apparently people are stealing them now because they are behind locked cabinets at walmart.
    At the prices the stores charge these days for the replacement cartriges,I can certainly understand why people are stealing them.
    Seems that the skyhigh cost of Gillette blade refills is proportional to the number of blades in the cartridge.
    The current prices are prompting the formation of online discount "shave clubs'. where they will supply you
    with four 3blade cartriges a month for $5.99 (($1.50each) and a free razor at that. A five blade cartridge is slight higher 4 cartridges for 9.99 about $2.50 each.
    http://www.canadashaves.ca/

I use one of these AAA cell powered vibrator Gillette razors and really like the shave I get from it. The 3 vibrating blades in the Gillette Mach 3 Turbo do give you a close shave, but these are not cheap either,but they last for 2-`3 weeks for me. I got it in a package deal at Costco with 24 cartidges in the package with the power razor a couple of years ago for $29.99 and still have about 12 cartridges left.

But the cost of the four Mach 3 cartridges ($24.99 to $34.99 depending on the store), is prompting me to look for another razor when my current supply is used up..(in about a year or so).

$28 to $40 (tax in) is $$$$$ CRAZY! That's $7 to $10 per cartridge..or about $10-$20 per month depending on whether you shave once a day or every second day.
    illette.ca/en-ca/products/razor-blades/mach3-razors/mach3-sensitive-power-razor
    http://gillette.ca/en-ca/gillette-sh...ave-club-plans

A lot of people online rave about how these give a much better shave than cartridge razors. I find they are about the same as a fresh cartridge. But the cost is much lower using disposable blades.
    Last edited by carverman; 2016-03-23 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leoc2 View Post
    A single fusion blade lasts 10 to 12 months using this technique!!!
    Hmmm..I think a leather belt would probably be better for stropping the edges of the blades. Worked for the old straight razors "grandpa" used.
    I'll have to try this on my current 3 blade cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ag Driver View Post
    II am sold on the classic DE razor. It not only produces a better shave, but has turned shaving into an enjoyable hobby/ritual. If you still enjoy your cartridge blades, at the very least start to face lather with a brush. I have introduced friends, and there is no turning back.
    i've been using the shaving cream that comes out of a can, but it doesn't soften the stubble the way a brush, warm water and a good bar of shaving soap does..I'm going to buy a shaving brush too.

It's time to tell Gillette..we are not going to be held for ransom by the obscene profits you make from your shaving products!

I've been wet shaving for about two years now. I alternate between a double edged razor and a true straight razor, depending on my mood and how much growth I've got. Soap/cream is out of a bowl and brush lathered in a mug.

Definitely cheaper, and I get MUCH better shaves.

FWIW, Gillette green and black blades are my personal favorites, and can be had for pennies per shave.

Quote Originally Posted by carverman View Post
    i've been using the shaving cream that comes out of a can, but it doesn't soften the stubble the way a brush, warm water and a good bar of shaving soap does..I'm going to buy a shaving brush too.

It's time to tell Gillette..we are not going to be held for ransom by the obscene profits you make from your shaving products!
    I use Taylor of Old Bond Street cream. $20 off amazon and lasts a hell of a lot longer than the Gillette can's.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast