Saving on razors - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving on razors

I think y'all are just using the wrong razors...

https://youtu.be/UjAZnGeBcgg

Quote Originally Posted by Barwelle View Post
    I think y'all are just using the wrong razors...
    Brutal! 1 blade -> 2 then 3 then 5 blades then 7 ...

I think maybe we should be using Occam's Razor.

"If you have two equally likely solutions to a problem, choose the simplest."

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."

. . .or in the only form that takes its own advice. . .
    "Keep things simple!"

Carver man if you were to open up a barber shop and use that razor, it would give new meaning to your username "Carverman" !!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mukhang pera View Post
    When I commented to someone about the lamentable state of modern barber shop services, I was told that barber shop shaves of any sort had lapsed into history due to AIDS and fear of nicks, cuts, infected blood, etc. I have no idea if that had anything to do with it, but I certainly noticed that no shop I visited seemed to offer any sort of shaving. But coptzr, your post suggests that, at least in some venues, the art is making a comeback, or perhaps was never lost.
    We have an Italian barber shop in my neighbourhood where they do still give shaves with a straight razor. They also serve homemade grappa to customers around New Year's Day. I cut my own hair now, what little is left of it, so I haven't been there in almost five years but I miss hearing the barbers chattering to each other and their customers in Italian, drinking cups of strong coffee (or little glasses of grappa), and paying $12 for a haircut.

I use Dorco Pace razors. I order about a 6 month supply, and get free shipping. They sell DE razors and cartridge systems. I find they don't last as long as Gillette Fusion (which I got a free trial from Gillette), but overall cost per shave is lower.
    http://www.dorcousa.com/

Dorco supplies some of the razors for Dollar Shave Club. Last time I checked Dorco was cheaper for basically the same product.
    http://ca.dollarshaveclub.com/

I have thought about trying a DE razor, but have a feeling I would use it a few times then it would sit unused in the cabinet, which just would not be well... frugal. I want shaving to be quick, safe and easy, not a ritual or hobby.

Several barbers in downtown Toronto do shaves with a straight razor, but it has a disposable single use blade.

For real shaving aficionados there is http://www.badgerandblade.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Barwelle View Post
    Carver man if you were to open up a barber shop and use that razor, it would give new meaning to your username "Carverman" !!
    Definitely add a new meaning to;"Wow! that was a close shave!"...BTW..sharpen my carving knives with a leather strop..it's very effective and you can test the sharpness with a freshly sharpened blade.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    We have an Italian barber shop in my neighbourhood where they do still give shaves with a straight razor. They also serve homemade grappa to customers around New Year's Day. I cut my own hair now, what little is left of it, so I haven't been there in almost five years but I miss hearing the barbers chattering to each other and their customers in Italian, drinking cups of strong coffee (or little glasses of grappa), and paying $12 for a haircut.
    $12? That must have been a few years back? In my Ottawa neighbourhood, I see only one of those striped barber poles signs outside
    these days.
    There used to be more. But as the older generation of barbers retired, nobody took over their place.

Lets face it today with multiblade "turbo" vibrating blade technology from Gillette.... "a close a shave as a man can get", people don't frequent the neighbourhood barbers any more.."no time..got no time..on my way to better things...."

Quoting a song from the Guess Who rock band here..great song..some good guitar riffs..from Randy Bachman
    No Time..the Guess Who...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqeSUAlI5uI

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLaker View Post
    I use Dorco Pace razors. I order about a 6 month supply, and get free shipping. They sell DE razors and cartridge systems. I find they don't last as long as Gillette Fusion (which I got a free trial from Gillette), but overall cost per shave is lower.
    http://www.dorcousa.com/

Dorco supplies some of the razors for Dollar Shave Club. Last time I checked Dorco was cheaper for basically the same product.
    http://ca.dollarshaveclub.com/

I have thought about trying a DE razor, but have a feeling I would use it a few times then it would sit unused in the cabinet, which just would not be well... frugal. I want shaving to be quick, safe and easy, not a ritual or hobby.

Several barbers in downtown Toronto do shaves with a straight razor, but it has a disposable single use blade.

For real shaving aficionados there is http://www.badgerandblade.com/
    I think the frugality of shaving yourself has been lost on this thread?
    What's wrong with the traditional straight razor? Cheap and effective and if you know how to strop it before each shave you can get literally thousands of shaves for NOTHING!

Of course..don't put one in your shaving kit if you are travelling on an air plane!

https://www.fendrihan.ca/products/pa...p4YaAged8P8HAQ

Quote Originally Posted by carverman View Post
    What's wrong with the traditional straight razor? Cheap and effective and if you know how to strop it before each shave you can get literally thousands of shaves for NOTHING!
    Not quite: you still have to pay for shaving cream or shaving soap. That's why I think an electric razor comes out on top of the frugality scale: nothing needed except the razor. Yes, it uses a few pennies' worth of electricity per year (mine's a rechargeable battery-operated one). And you have to replace the cutting head occasionally -- much less frequently than the manufacturer wants you to, of course. I've replaced mine once in the last 12 years. Taking the cost of my electric razor and dividing it across 12 years plus adding a few dollars for electricity use averages out to $6-7 per year. Even a straight razor would cost you much more than that because you need to add the cost of shaving soap or cream.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Not quite: you still have to pay for shaving cream or shaving soap. That's why I think an electric razor comes out on top of the frugality scale: nothing needed except the razor. Yes, it uses a few pennies' worth of electricity per year (mine's a rechargeable battery-operated one). And you have to replace the cutting head occasionally -- much less frequently than the manufacturer wants you to, of course. I've replaced mine once in the last 12 years.
    Taking the cost of my electric razor and dividing it across 12 years plus adding a few dollars for electricity use averages out to $6-7 per year. Even a straight razor would cost you much more than that because you need to add the cost of shaving soap or cream.
    well we certainly can't argue about frugality if that's all it costs per year.

yes, you have a point Brad. I have used a couple of name brand electric shavers i(Phillips/Braun) past years, and found that after a while the replaceable blades get dull and the blade tugs on the whiskers depending on how long they are.
    It's not always convenient to find the replacement blades either.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast