Saving on razors - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving on razors

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom45 View Post
    I've been wet shaving for about two years now. I alternate between a double edged razor and a true straight razor, depending on my mood and how much growth I've got.
    I'll pick up a straight razor one of these days. Just over a hundred bucks for a good one. We're getting away from frugal when you make the leap from DE to straight razors.

I will do the same down the road though. Straight edge when I have the time, and DE when I need to be out the door.

Last edited by Ag Driver; 2016-03-23 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ag Driver View Post
    I use Taylor of Old Bond Street cream. $20 off amazon and lasts a hell of a lot longer than the Gillette can's.
    Looked at those..what flavour do you use? I think on my next Amazon order,I'll try the coconut flavoured soap.
    Thankls for the tip.

https://www.amazon.ca/Taylor-Old-Bon...ld+bond+street

The badger hair shaving brushes are a bit expensive..I guess the badgers are getting scarce these days?
    Or..... nobody dares to badger a badger..they can get pretty mean if you try to grab a bunch of hair off them.

Quote Originally Posted by carverman View Post
    Looked at those..what flavour do you use? I think on my next Amazon order,I'll try the coconut flavoured soap.
    Thankls for the tip.

https://www.amazon.ca/Taylor-Old-Bon...ld+bond+street

The badger hair shaving brushes are a bit expensive..I guess the badgers are getting scarce these days?
    Or..... nobody dares to badger a badger..they can get pretty mean if you try to grab a bunch of hair off them.
    As for flavour, I personally can't tell you if mine tastes good -- but I like the smell of the Avocado. Makes for a nice, easy, thick lather. A dime size will get you enough lather for 3 passes.

The Omega 10048 Boar brush is a great entry brush to get you going. It can be found for around $10, and is probably at your local shoppers drug mart. Boar is typically better for hard soaps.

With a badger brush, you get what you pay for. The badger bristles tend to contour a bit better, is a softer brush, lathers a bit better with creams, and has heat retention. I picked up a Edwin Jagger 89p16 and I am very pleased with the brush. Again, it's about $30 on amazon.

Interesting thread. This is one of those things I just keep taking the easy road and pay for it dearly. Most times it has driven me to do nothing and look like a grub at work. I have even went to local barber shops but that's just gets out of hand and next thing I went from $24 blades to $80 trim and shave. One day I will need to take the time and buy some of these items people have posted.

As for flavour, I personally can't tell you if mine tastes good -- but I like the smell of the Avocado. Makes for a nice, easy, thick lather. A dime size will get you enough lather for 3 passes.

The Omega 10048 Boar brush is a great entry brush to get you going. It can be found for around $10, and is probably at your local shoppers drug mart. Boar is typically better for hard soaps.

With a badger brush, you get what you pay for. The badger bristles tend to contour a bit better, is a softer brush, lathers a bit better with creams, and has heat retention. I picked up a Edwin Jagger 89p16 and I am very pleased with the brush. Again, it's about $30 on amazon.
    Looks good..I'll put my order in for one along with the shaving soap....I always thought of shaving as one of those necessary grooming tasks that men have to do, like trimming inside ear hair, but this sounds like pure pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by carverman View Post
    Looks good..I'll put my order in for one along with the shaving soap....I always thought of shaving as one of those necessary grooming tasks that men have to do, like trimming inside ear hair, but this sounds like pure pleasure.
    I think you will enjoy it. Oh, and don't worry about the brush smelling of badger ... it goes away with use. The brush gradually gets nicer and nicer to use as it breaks it.

I think you will enjoy it. Oh, and don't worry about the brush smelling of badger ... it goes away with use. The brush gradually gets nicer and nicer to use as it breaks it.
    Yes, I heard that badgers tend to be smelly during certain times of the year..but not as bad as skunks.
    Just like cheap artist brushes, I learned a long time ago that a camel's hair brush is not as good as more expensive red sable...
    you get what you pay for.

Any truth to this? I think this is just a myth.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5585531_make...sharpener.html
    Last edited by carverman; 2016-03-23 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coptzr View Post
    I have even went to local barber shops but that's just gets out of hand and next thing I went from $24 blades to $80 trim and shave.
    Interesting comment. Have barbers gone back to doing shaves?

When I was growing up in Toronto, all barbers had straight razors to hand, a leather strop hanging from the chair and a machine that dispensed hot lather. Even if a shave was not requested, they always finished a haircut by applying said hot lather to one's neck, sideburn area, etc., and shaving it smooth.

When I was late teens or so, I grew beard. A few years later, when about to start work in a professional office downtown, I felt compelled to look respectable and went to a barber to have the beard shaved off. No problem.

Later, I again grew a beard and kept it for many years, until about to embark on an extended trip to southeast Asia. I was concerned that the beard might not be so well suited to the heat and humidity I would encounter. I went to my Vancouver barber and asked him to dispatch my beard. His exact words were "How would I do that?" I had not realized that barber shop shaves were no longer routinely offered. The best he could do was use his electric clippers to chop it down to a stubble field that I shaved off at home with a disposable razor.

When I commented to someone about the lamentable state of modern barber shop services, I was told that barber shop shaves of any sort had lapsed into history due to AIDS and fear of nicks, cuts, infected blood, etc. I have no idea if that had anything to do with it, but I certainly noticed that no shop I visited seemed to offer any sort of shaving. But coptzr, your post suggests that, at least in some venues, the art is making a comeback, or perhaps was never lost.
    Last edited by Mukhang pera; 2016-03-23 at 02:58 PM.

Use to have one in each town, they have come back a little, one town I'm in West off Ottawa several times a week does the finishing haircut with blade, hot shave, at least one guy there did my haircut with a blade as well. I've had a blade haircut once before in ottawa, but was more like pulling/ripping. Was not as good quality. Im not old enough to know all the differences, but have got this barber shop experience once a year. My in-law has a very small shop in the sticks that you also get a treat or drink depending on your age, lol.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast