I'll never buy another razor or razor blade again in my life.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'll never buy another razor or razor blade again in my life.

I'll never buy another razor or razor blade again in my life.

Total investment:

$50: Bought a Merkur stainless steel double edged safety razor from Personal Edge in the Scarborough town centre. (Can get online for way way cheaper but I was in a rush.) These ar elike the kind you see in WWII movies when soldiers share. I remember seeing one in my Grandfathers shaving kit.

$30: bought from e-bay seller idiotdoc $200 replacement razor blades. (Dude based out of Singapor) Offered at $11 per one hundred plus shipping etc... In two weeks I had it. $200 blades for under $30. If you look up the details from other shaving sites like badger and blade you'll hear that they are Chinese counterfit blades produced from some Chinese slave wage factory. I say who cares! If Gilette is willing to make and sell blades to me for 1/100th the price I'm willing to deal with them. But these "cheap" chinese blades work as well as the 10 pack of Merkur blades from Germany. I can't tell any difference. Quite frankly I think Gilette employees are posting all the negatives, because for every customer like me who opts for a total multigeneration investment of $80 max, and saves a life of buying 4 packs of Gilette Mach 27 blades for $11-$15 a pop....well you can see how worried they are. Gilette has worked hard to undercut and run out of business or buy all the competition. In North America you have very little choice but to get some ridiculously expensive blade "system". None fo it or the high costs are even remotely warranted. They are just playing us for suckers.

A parody of what I'm talking about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F7TMlrDXtw

Now I shave my face daily and my whole head every 3 days. One of these blades will last me 6 months. I could go longer but the tug and pull of a blade becomes a minor nuisance. 200 blades at 6 mos each and my 2 month old son's grandkids can inherit my investment. I've never buy another razor blade again and Gilette can kiss my baby smooth patootie.

Hope everyone enjoys my #1 frugal living tip.

One blade lasts 6 months? I am intrigued...

I don't understand what you are saying about the blades though. You got 200 of them or 200$ worth of them for 30$?

You can buy something similar without going through eBay:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/p...ety-razor.html

$40 for the razor, which comes with 5 blades.

Replacement blades are less than $1 each.

The most frugal shaver is an old-fashioned straight razor; buy one once and learn how to sharpen it, and you'll have it for life. My barber uses them and I've been tempted to buy one someday. In the meantime my 10-year-old Braun electric razor still does a fine job.

Interesting. I save a lot by buying those store brand sensor ones at Super Value.

I paid $80 10 years ago for my electric razor it still works Good enough for me.

Guigz: Sorry I mistyped a lot. I was tired when I wrote this.

What I meant to say was that I got 200 blades for $30 off e-bay off some guy from singapor named idiotdoc.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100-Astra-Sup...item414da069d0

Now your mileage may vary with the blades, but I didn't feel like replacing the 1st blade for 6 months (daily face and 3 day head shaving.) I could have kept going, but there was no need. If I use each blade for only 1 month then my 200 blades will last me 16 years. $30 for 16 years of shaving? Oh yes, very frugal.

You can save even more money by not shaving your head every 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Guigz View Post
    One blade lasts 6 months? I am intrigued...
    With proper care, sure.

I don't shave like the OP, I just use a plain overpriced Gillette Fusion. Only shave once everyday or sometimes every other day when on vacation or whatever. I dry the blades after every use though and leave the head dipped in mineral oil. Apparently you can extend their life further using an old pair of jeans. I have yet to need to do that though. I'm still using the free razor and blade P&G sent me over 1.5 years agos.

I have two more free ones I've received since then in two more P&G promos.

Obviously your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by yupislyr View Post
    With proper care, sure.

I don't shave like the OP, I just use a plain overpriced Gillette Fusion. Only shave once everyday or sometimes every other day when on vacation or whatever. I dry the blades after every use though and leave the head dipped in mineral oil. Apparently you can extend their life further using an old pair of jeans. I have yet to need to do that though. I'm still using the free razor and blade P&G sent me over 1.5 years agos.

I have two more free ones I've received since then in two more P&G promos.

Obviously your mileage may vary.
    I too use a fusion razor and I change the blade every 6 months. I don't use mineral oil. Where does one buy mineral oil?

Quote Originally Posted by leoc2 View Post
    I too use a fusion razor and I change the blade every 6 months. I don't use mineral oil. Where does one buy mineral oil?
    Answer: any hardware store.

I'm incredulous that you change fusion blades once ever 6 months, but if you say so... In my experience going one month is painful even with great care.

Can you buy 200 fusion blades for $30 dollars? If the goal is frugalism, I've yet to see anything better.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast