Introduce Yourself! - Page 3
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself!

I'm Ross, a 27-year-old analyst working for one of the big four accounting firms. I have a blog, but I don't really maintain it. I suppose my own sense of wit and wisdom has taken a few knocks in recent years and I no longer feel the need to prognosticate about current events like I did in past. Presently, I am working on level 2 of the CFA program.

Since finishing university, I have worked a number of jobs in the finance industry. Specifically, I worked as a day trader for 9 months, and later held various administrative positions under temporary with various finance companies, including a brokerage and two fund companies. After living through a personal financial crisis tied to low income, four months of unemployment and scraping the bottom of my bank account, I resolved to get it right and become much more disciplined with my money.

At times, I do think back wistfully to working as a trader, but I know now that it was not for me. I didn't have the right attitude towards risk, i.e. I was a bit too conservative. I do miss the opportunity to pull off arbitrage trades, and exploit the behaviour of program traders. However, I don't miss the stress and the rare moments of getting steamrolled by the big boys. If anyone has questions about ECNs, dark books, market making or day trading in general, you are welcome to ask me. Though bear in mind that I last did this two years ago.

I'm The Baker's Son

Hello all!

Like many of you I am in pursuit of taking control of my finances and share many of the same attitudes towards money. I also have some unique views and have been encouraged to start a blog. I'd love it if you would drop by and answer the 2 polls to get things started

Thanks!
    The Baker's Son
    www.thebakersson.wordpress.com

Hello,

I'm Marc, early 30's and finally about to pay off my remaining student loans! Both myself and my wife did grad studies which delayed the repayment, but it's been my priority for the past 2 years and will be finished next month!

Now I need to really start building up my retirement savings and paying down the mortgage

Marc

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Hello ... I'm Emma, I'm from Ireland and live in Toronto. My main impetus for financial health has always been my dislike of the man and potentially having to work for him forever. I've had a pretty steady and boring financial history to date, but am married to a former financial basketcase and current stereotypical Male Investor who always swings for the fences, which makes things a bit more interesting.

Beyond calculating net worth and stalking JD Roth I like watching baseball and rugby, working out, fiction, travelling back to Ireland, walking around all the fine neighbourhoods in this little city and learning all I can about wildlife/animals.

I often post badly thought-through and uneducated comments on the excellent canadian pf blogs mentioned above as guinness416 but I'm off the booze on a health kick at the moment so decided for my username to go with a great woman from Irish history instead!

I'm glad to have joined!

Hi,
    I'm a 45 year old scientist, living in Toronto with my daughter. I have always been interested in matters financial and managed family finances and investments. I love reading investment books, blogs and the financial pages, so all the bloggers here, keep them up! My ex was more happy to leave matters to me, so that money was never an issue, even in divorce. We took a hit financially, as we had paid off our home and I had to buy him out of it, but it was worth every penny (I'm sure he feels the same way!). I'm seeing someone seriously now, and that raises all sorts of interesting financial dilemmas...

I'm in my late 20s, but I only started my "real job" not so long ago after years in graduate school (and advanced degrees). I first became interested in personal financing when I was around 20 when several of my (older) friends started to talk about retirement saving. Since then, I read quite a few personal financing books and financial/business newspaper/magazine articles, took a course in personal financing, and had sessions with a financial counselor. I have also been saving for retirement with student jobs and (frighteningly small) graduate student stipends, so I started with small positive net worth (even though I'm probably far behind compared to somebody who started working right after undergrad) when I took my current job. I'm looking forward (finally) to be able to "really" save for retirement and work toward a number of other financial goals.

P.S. No. I don't blog.

I'm 34 years old, living in Calgary with my wife and two young kids (4 and 1 1/2) so life is busy. First moved to Calgary 12 years ago and have worked for a major engineering contractor for 9 years then switched to work for one of the major oil companies 3 years ago. Currently I am working on oilsands projects in the Fort McMurray region

Got really interested in personal finance after reading the Wealthy Barber and continue to read personal finance pages, Moneysense and Canadian Moneysaver magazine regularly. I just finished paying off the mortgage on my home so am not looking to shore up the rest of my retirement finances and perhaps start enjoying more of the good life.

Hello, I'm 44 years old, live in Calgary, and have been a financial advisor for 18 years. (Oh my gosh, I didn't realize that until now!) I went right into financial services after getting a B.Sc. from U of C. I'm moderately successful fee-based planner, but not planning on retirement anytime soon, since the youngest of my 4 kids just turned 5 years old.

I have the old Chartered Financial Planner designation, and the somewhat newer Certified Financial Planner designation. Did level 1 of CFA, then abandoned the program when I became convinced that in-depth analysis of individual securities doesn't really add value greater than the effort expended. I believe in weak-form EMT, and mostly passive investment strategies.

I believe that many investors can benefit from dealing with a qualified advisor; but not all investors nor all advisors.

The world of investment and financial advice is rife with conflicts of interest; but so is every other profession or business endeavor.

If anyone has questions about my side of the world of retail investment, feel free to hit me up. Don't worry, I'm not out to sell anybody anything. I quit actively marketing about 12 years ago

Cool

I live in Winnipeg and have been self employed my whole life. (construction, real estate, and currently a web entrepreneur) My home is paid for - I have no debt

After watching my RRSP which was invested in mutual funds plunge in value during the recession of 1982 I vowed to become more knowledgeable about investing. I began devouring books on the subject and began my subscription to the Financial Post - reading fellow boomer Jon Chevreau of course!

In the mid 90's I began having my RRSP professionally managed using a full service broker and it still is to this day. For enjoyment, I do my own investing for my non-registered investments and TFSA using a discount broker. I am 100% in Stocks and Cash in all accounts. No bonds or mutual funds.

I am 29 and live in the GTA. Married 4 years, expecting a wee one in spring '10. I'm a mechanical engineer. I've spent a bit of time working in other provinces, but mostly here in Ontario.

Debt averse.

Always a fairly low spender by nature, but didn't really wake up to personal finance until I started bringing home a paycheque. Then it became interesting to count it, and see where it was going. Use my own Excel spreadsheet that tracks to the penny and categorizes all spending/income monthly and annually, with projections, etc.

My wife is a "frugal shopper" (her favourite online forum) and saves us a lot of money on the daily expenses. We pay pennies on the dollar for shampoo/soaps/cleaners/toothpaste, etc. For all you single guys out there - find a girl who gets more pleasure from saving money than spending it, and you will do well!

I am a strong believer in getting the basics of personal finance right before concentrating too much on squeezing returns from a small nest egg. Lead a simple lifestyle, spend/save according to your values, understand the difference between your needs and wants, know exactly how much you make and spend, find ways to reduce your spending (and increase income), eliminate consumer debt, build up an emergency fund, pay down your mortgage rapidly, get life insurance and do a will - and after all of that is under control, start to devote some time to the ins and outs of investing. The average person can squeeze a lot more money out of making a habit of doing these things right, than by swinging for the fences right away with involved investment strategies on small portfolios. Involved investment strategies can wait.

I am far from a sophisticated investor. For now, our invested savings are in equity-heavy index funds. When all the debt is gone in a few years, I'll dive into investing education.
    Last edited by Ben; 2009-11-27 at 07:49 AM.

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast