TD Bank (TD, TD.TO) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TD Bank (TD, TD.TO)

Quote Originally Posted by KaeJS View Post
    Look at TD's profit margin for 2010 compared to rbc's.
    TD also has a net profit margin slightly (and I mean SLIGHTLY) higher than RY for last quarter.
    I'm not suggesting one model is more or less profitable. From 2010 and first half of 2011,

TD derives 91-95% of income from retail banking.
    RBC derives >20% from Capital markets, underwriting, and investing - this has been higher in the past. If you look at Capital markets revenues alone, quarterly numbers have varied between $250 million last quarter, to $1.5 billion in the past.

Clearly TD's revenue streams are more consistent, and they have maid a huge play on retail banking. This is not a growth segment of the market, they need to grow by acquisition, or convincing individuals banking elsewhere to switch.

RBCs revenues are highly dependent on the world equities market. Of course if you compare their potential to earn during a significant market downturn, the odds are not in their favor. Once underwriting activites picks up, and they actually earn in trading and Capital markets, you should expect to see RBC make a surge back to higher profitability.

All that being said, I don't like to make a call one way or another as to which strategy will outperform, hence I hold both.

Q3 results this morning! Will TD raise their dividend?

"Toronto-Dominion raised its quarterly dividend 3 percent to 68 cents a share, joining Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce as the only banks to boost payouts this quarter. The bank was expected to increase its dividend to 70 cents a share, according to the Bloomberg Dividend Forecast."

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

So much for my theory.

Although it makes it all the more enticing to load up on bank stocks during the next leg down.

3 cents.

Big deal. Kind of disappointing.

Still love the Bank, though.
    Hidden Content
    Stocks aren't boring. They all have individual personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by KaeJS View Post
    3 cents.

Big deal. Kind of disappointing.

Still love the Bank, though.
    dividend increases show signs of confidence by management. That means a lot more to me than the pennies increase on the dividend.

3 cents is just fine. Keep in mind TD's dividend increase schedule is likely to be twice per year, if history pre-2008 is a guide.

Hey Abha, how about TD as #1 in market cap? Could establish that position sooner than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
    3 cents is just fine. Keep in mind TD's dividend increase schedule is likely to be twice per year, if history pre-2008 is a guide.

Hey Abha, how about TD as #1 in market cap? Could establish that position sooner than I thought.
    I'm not too worried. Seems more like TD and CIBC are the cool kids right now.

Royal Bank is being punished every which way, which is why I'm gravitating more towards them at the moment.

I'm actually weirdly proud of TD's performance, given that I spent my first 7 years of my career with them.

7 years.. hmm.. wonder how long I'll be with TD. Hey Abha, what position in the company should I target? I'm not really an aggressive salesman. And I don't care about lending. Just pure investing. They should probably peg me as senior gold analyst or something. I can't see myself moving to Ontario at all. Vancouver is a decent option out here though. I wish TD would expand in the western US because I could see myself down there too.

argo both you & ddkay have good investment skills for any age or level of experience & pretty amazing when one considers that you are both younger than 25. So i'd say the industry would be lucky to capture either one of you.

retail brokerage is really a sales job. You might be disappointed because you'd hardly have time to think an original thought, you'd be so busy pushing & selling to increase your book.

a CFA could aim for a career as an analyst at td newcrest securities or any other investment dealer, mutual fund, hedge fund or pension fund manager out there. But you'd need that cfa certification. It's a long hard slog & one constantly hears how many are weeded out, especially in the first year.

might you consider doing the cfa. It would be your gateway to a glowing future. Same for ddkay. Fortunately for both of you, you both have excellent natural communication skills, which are important for an analyst or portfolio manager, so no homework needed there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast