Canadian Money Forum banner

Medical Premiums on paycheck

14K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Mandy101 
#1 ·
Hello all

Each month my employer takes a chunk out of gross pay in order to put towards a company health plan with Pacific Blue Cross. The total amount taken off my gross pay does not appear on my T4 at the end of the year. Can I deduct this on my tax return and if so where?

thanks!

#2 ·
Except in Quebec, employer-paid health care premiums for private insurance are a non-taxable benefit.

So unless you are in Quebec, the amount is not included in your taxable income so there is nothing for you to deduct.

The value of the premiums forms part of your total compensation but you do not pay income tax on the premiums paid on your behalf.

#3 ·
At the bottom of your T4 slip, if there is a box 85 and a $$ amount in the footnotes, that is the amount you can deduct for private medical plan premiums.

If you are using a tax program, as soon as you enter box 85 on the T4 page, the program will send the amount over to the medical expense schedule.

#6 ·
Each month my employer takes a chunk out of gross pay in order to put towards a company health plan with Pacific Blue Cross. The total amount taken off my gross pay does not appear on my T4 at the end of the year. Can I deduct this on my tax return and if so where?
Nowhere in this post do I see that this is employer-paid health premium. OP clearly states it is deducted from his gross pay. So it is a deductible medical expense. Some employers do not put this on their T4s, although they should.

#8 · (Edited)
...The total amount taken off my gross pay does not appear on my T4 at the end of the year. Can I deduct this on my tax return and if so where?
You include it as part of Medical Expenses - Line 330.

Keep a copy of your stub or stubs as proof. I had CRA ask me for a copy one year. I suggested to them they would have more influence than me in getting my federal superannuation plan to include it on the T4 in future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.