Canadian Money Forum banner

Netflix (NFLX)

15K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  digitalatlas 
#1 ·
While working got email from my wife (she never invested in her life): "Check out Netflix company. Looks like it is going to go up" :confused:

What do you think about NFLX?

#2 ·
Interesting. I've been watch NFLX for a few months now, but I've never had the guts to pull the trigger. Even at those growth projections, the price seems overvalued.

I wonder if there are other anecdotes out there of people who don't normally invest who talk about a high-growth company such as Netflix.
Could this then mean that Netflix has already reached it's zenith? :)

#3 ·
They have to convince ISP to soften the bandwidth cap.

At least in Canada, when a viewer is capped at 25GB / month for internet.. that person will quickly abandon Netflix.

The other thing they need to do is to add New Release with premium fee soon... Not too many people will want to watch old movies all the time... like Matrix and Star Wars again and again. After the initial novelty, the subscriber will likely cancel.

The idea is great... maybe there is more growth, but there are lots of risks.

And by the way, Google just entered a similar movie rental business with YouTube... so who will win? I don't know. Will it be worthwhile to hold Netflix while Google may crush them? It's a risk you have to feel comfortable with.

For more discussion for this specific stock, you may see:
http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/mb/NFLX

#5 ·
They have to convince ISP to soften the bandwidth cap.

At least in Canada, when a viewer is capped at 25GB / month for internet.. that person will quickly abandon Netflix.

The other thing they need to do is to add New Release with premium fee soon... Not too many people will want to watch old movies all the time... like Matrix and Star Wars again and again. After the initial novelty, the subscriber will likely cancel.

http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/mb/NFLX
What do you mean in Canada 25GB?! I live in Mississauga, have Rogers and 95GB cap.
The problem is not old movies, but even the newest one people download for free from rapidshere, hotfile etc

#10 ·
@gibor
That's funny, I had a similar conversation with someone in my family who is into genealogy. She knows I'm into investing, etc and was telling me that I should buy shares in Ancestry.Com (ACOM).

I kind of laughed at the time, but I just looked it up and this stock is up 38% YTD and 114% over the last 12 months.

Still, I wouldn't touch that one or Netflix...they don't really fit in with my strategy.

#12 ·
Can you tell me when you buy?

I do want to take a small position just cuz i can see this going to the moon.
It has such a low float of shares, i feel a 5:1 split will be coming soon if the rise continues.

But its just so ugly to buy right now because its rise is so great.
I will have to look at the numbers beofre i buy or be willing to sell for a loss if something happens.

G
#14 ·
Here's the thing ...

While working got email from my wife (she never invested in her life): "Check out Netflix company. Looks like it is going to go up" :confused:What do you think about NFLX?
Netflix provides movies over internet ... internet provided by say Rogers ... Rogers also provides movies via cable ... Rogers internet usage http://www.rogers.com/web/link/hispeedBrowseFlowDefaultPlans ... hmmm ... seems to me netflix has a problem.

#15 ·
i got netflix at home and i think its great. but i also like old movies.
I do it over the net and have seen no impact on my data usage. It says 0gb per month with telus.

I took a look at the Financials and even thought the company is gaining ground. When i run my macro, I get a BIG SELL right now.

It would be an emotional buy right now but even though i want to jump on the train, I think im going to pass cuz i think its going to be a train wreck.

I have no idea how to price these internet stocks.

#16 ·
Those who have followed the CRTC hearings here on usage based billing (now renamed to AVP (aggregated volume pricing)) may have noticed that Netflix tried to lobby Industry Canada but our telcos back-door deals have been more lucrative.

Because of our stageplay regulators, ISPs have come to control media empires through their subsidiares (Bell Media, Quebecor, Rogers Media, etc) and have a strong interest in keeping net services like Netflix from succeeding and stealing their revenue

Down south the FCC has a revolving door much like the SEC, one of the commissioners that approved the Comcast-NBC merger, Meredith Attwell Baker, has now quit & gone to work for Comcast. Her "unbiased" decision has paid off.

Good luck to Netflix longs, I prefer not to play Russian roulette

#28 ·
i would not feel too sorry. People that buy at the top usually just buy to ride the wave but have tight stop losses.

i read about this in the national post today.
They said they lost 800,000 customers last quarter.

Where are those customers going?

I still love netflix at home and think i might buy in at the low tomorrow. Ill have to check the numbers again.

#29 ·
I was a subscriber for one month and got enough usage out of it to see all the movies I wanted. I guess the puts I bought yesterday paid me back for that one month.

As for the future outlook: it's a tough business when its biggest competitor is free, with a much wider selection. Internet piracy. iTunes has managed to thrive despite easy free music access, but that certainly isn't the only piece of Apple's pie.

Thank you CEO Reed Hastings for making me some money. Qwikster!

#35 ·
I have to laugh when you hear about some content being lost from Netflix..does anyone think they're going to make money offering $10 individual downloads with someone else? The only reason Netflix makes any money at all is the low price - anything higher and people will rush to the Bay... the Pirate bay that is.

The movie industry is on the cusp of losing all control. Just like the music industry in 1997, when people realized they could download a song in under 5 minutes for free. You can download a 2 hour movie in less than 5 minutes now. People want to pay a reasonable price, but $8.99 for a single VOD on Rogers is _insanity_.

#38 ·
The studios will try if at all possible to prevent streaming from turning into a low-price minimal margin business. Rentals rely on discs being made available at reasonable prices for mass consumer sale. If that ever goes away, and discs become more for collectors at higher prices, disc rental gets more expensive.

Even if not, the studios are trying to pressure rentals into a separate "window". Warner just recently started trying to prevent Blockbuster from buying its discs, to force it into accepting the current 28-days-after-release-date no-rental window they have with Netflix and Redbox. And I think there are hopes to extend that 28-day window as well. If the studios can swing it, it is possible that there will be a premium streaming window, before cheaper streaming and disc rentals are available. As things move to streaming, the studios have much more control over the content, and will probably want to extract more of the pie for themselves, if they can.

There may be limits to the music comparison - video is more data, people regard and consume it somewhat differently, and even blockheaded media conglomerates must have learned something from the Napster wars... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.