Rental: Haven't met second person living in rental unit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rental: Haven't met second person living in rental unit

Rental: Haven't met second person living in rental unit

Hi all,

I've got one person applying for my rental property. I met him - he seems decent, can just afford the rent 60k annual income on rent of $1500 p/m. He said that he will try to get his friend living with him to share costs.
    I haven't met said friend yet.

What's peoples experiences with this. Should I push to meet the friend and get them as co-applicants? Rather than the main guy?

Or am I being over protective?

Thanks!

All tenants living in the rental should have signed the lease agreement to ensure they all know the details of the contract.

That way you can do a reference and background check on all tenants. That's what I do. Call their employer at least.

Banned
    Def
    why is the sidekick talking to you
    The guy you think is the main guy
    The guy you haven't met is the guy?
    think about it
    red flag

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Anyone over 18 goes on the lease
    Hidden Content - Real Estate Blog

Thanks all

Protect your interests and your property. Have friend sign lease. If he is not on it he can move out on and 1 tenant has to carry all the costs. Check to see if they are on FB or LinkedIn and see if you find any comments or info that might raise a red flag. Google the names to see if anything comes up.
    Ask me about the do-it-yourself mortgage, designed to save you even more money.

What, if any, protection is a landlord afforded by getting all occupants over 18 to be on the lease? I'm in a similar situation where the secondary occupant is a sibling.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalatlas View Post
    What, if any, protection is a landlord afforded by getting all occupants over 18 to be on the lease? I'm in a similar situation where the secondary occupant is a sibling.
    If they aren't listed on the lease then they aren't living there legally.

What are the real life consequences of living there legally?

In Ontario, it seems we cannot restrict the tenant from having guests (long or short term), roommates, etc anyway.

What could having the person on the lease afford a landlord? Would the occupant, indicated as a "tenant" on the agreement, be liable for rent in case the primary tenant can't pay? Are the tenants treated separately from one another at the Board?

There're lots of things that aren't "legal" that happen in the world, but what realistic consequences are there?
    Hidden Content It's not a "how-to." It's a "why bother."

According to this link, whoever is listed as the tenant on the lease is responsible to pay the rent, nobody else is. It doesn't seem like there's any difference to the landlord, except that the rent liability lies with only one person instead of all occupants.

http://ontariolandlordandtenantlaw.b...ndoned-me.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast