Canadian Money Forum banner

Mcdonald's Free Coffee

97K views 351 replies 50 participants last post by  Dilbert 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I know it's a bit late in the day, but Mcd's is offering free specialty coffee today (Canada Day)!

#3 ·
They don't need to do it. That coffee has become extremely popular since the new blend a couple of years back. Tim Hortons coffee is sharp and slightly bitter. MCD coffee has a nice taste, arabica beans, best in the world.

I'm not a coffee drinker so I speak objectively when I say MCD coffee really is better.

This is all part of the breakfast wars, the sort of last frontier in this type of eatery. When MCD came out with this coffee, Tim Hortons responded with their own breakfast sandwich. I still think MCD is gaining tremendous ground in their coffee. I don't eat the food, I go there just for the coffee. The service is excellent. A1.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
Note that you only get one coffee per car if you are ordering through the drive through. I agree with the others that I prefer McD coffee to Tims. If the kids didn't like Tims donuts so much, we'll probably get our coffee fix at McDs.

I don't think McDs coffees are all that popular at least based on a couple of observations near our home where a Tims and McDs are next door to each other. McDs has a big poster offering free small coffee but the queues at the Tims' drive through are always much much longer (at least during breakfast and in the evening).

#12 · (Edited)
^ That's another reason why I prefer McD coffee. The queue is very short. I don't have any desire to wait 15 minutes even to get free coffee, much less have to pay for mediocre crud. My morning coffee is either at home or work.

By the way, I read the TH is rolling out espresso-based coffee starting this month. Starting price point is $2, so it might be good value. I will have something to order when I must go to TH. Hopefully it is half-decent coffee.

#13 ·
I'm sure it won't be.

What is the likelihood that Timmie's will actually use freshly roasted beans? It is more likely they will have a huge amber-tinted grinder will with 20 lbs of beans that will stale in a day or two.

They they will sell this crappy coffee for a cheap price. Seems like a lose-lose situation to me.

I honestly think that NA has a long way to go to actually developing a palate for coffee. Starbucks might have introduced and popularized espresso, but the majority of NAs still don't seem to care.

Folger's was great for me as a shareholder, but did terrible terrible things for coffee.

#14 ·
I honestly think that NA has a long way to go to actually developing a palate for coffee. Starbucks might have introduced and popularized espresso, but the majority of NAs still don't seem to care.
Yea I used to think Timmies coffee was amazing. Starbucks is just too overpriced. It's weird because most things are more expensive in Europe but coffee, wine, beer, cigarettes etc are much cheaper and better (don't know about cigarettes) The Timmies drive through lineups are a cultural and environmental disaster imo. Here everyone just leisurely gets a coffee at different places

Sadly McDs coffee is better than Tim's. And they have free WiFi too

#16 ·
I never said I thought SBUX had good coffee now did I? ;) Still a nice one to invest in, not now, but 3 years ago.

I don't buy the 'too expensive argument' though, because if you actually do a $/volume comparison, Starbucks is a lot less expensive if you are comparing drip coffees. You just have to put up with over roasting burned gross flavor in your mouth.

If the espresso at Tim's is good, that would be great, I just doubt it.

Like most here, I sorta enjoy McDs over Tim's, but the watery aftertaste is quite odd. I'm always amazed how these companies can take normal goods (like beef or coffee beans) and make then taste so generic and consistent. Its quite amazing really.

#17 ·
That's the thing, when I go to Starbucks for the annual "anthropological expedition" (ERE) I never see anyone buy the plain coffee it's so bad I end up buying some $6 macchiato thing. I'll drink espresso straight out of a Bialetti though

#20 ·
I too prefer McD's coffee to Tim's. Stopped in NY state a couple weeks ago, and ordered a large McDonald's coffee... oops... not the same down there. It was horrid... like the old McD's coffee.
NY state travel tip: Stewart's gas stations... coffee is decent.. everywhere else featured dishwater

#26 ·
I had a cup during the free period, and I retract my previous statement that I prefer it (at least over Tim's).

Terrible. The coffee is bland. I liken it to the reaction I get from aspartame. Upon the first sip, there are hints of flavor textures and some sort of profile of complexity, then after 1 second, you taste water.

Any Moka pot or French press with half-decent beans will outperform. I'll stick with more traditional brewing methods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.