Costs of renovating kitchens and bathrooms
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Costs of renovating kitchens and bathrooms

Costs of renovating kitchens and bathrooms

We will be moving this spring/summer and we are debating if we should purchase an older home that is less expensive, or a newer home that is more but would be in move-in condition. We are hoping the older home has a kitchen and bathrooms that are decent enough, but if not we may be faced with renovating..... we are almost dead-set against renovating since we've done two reno homes so far, but we are also not naive enough to say no renos ever, at any price.

That said, is there a standard cost for a new kitchen or bathroom that people use when determining what to offer on a home that needs such renovations? I realize costs will vary dramatically, but there has to be a ball park figure that people go by. How can I figure this out? Phone kitchen and bath renovation companies in the area we're moving to?

You're right about the costs being all over the map but I'm sure you know it depends on the choices made (type of counter tops, appliances, etc.). There's also the issue of totally replacing the cupboards and redesigning the space or just replacing the doors.

Naturally, the same applies to the bathroom (choices I mean).

However, since I just asked my father-in-law (who used to be a home builder) about these very costs, he told me a bathroom reno is about $5000 to hire someone and $2500-3000 to do it ourselves (with his help). We did a bathroom in our previous house for about $2000; we tiled ourselves, toilet and vanity from Costco and shower from home depot installed by father-in-law.

The kitchen is tougher . . . very ballpark figure is 20000-30000.

I'm sure prices vary greatly across regions too. As others comment you'll get a better range of prices too.

here is a rough good guide.

http://www.ontariocontractors.com/costs.htm

costco has towel warmers for $199!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

The cheapest place to buy kitchens is IKEA.

If price is a major issue like it was when I was in charge of renovating the townhouses, that's the place to go.

Ikea kitchen was $1200 taxes in and the same kitchen was $1800 at Home Depot.
    Hidden Content - Real Estate Blog

Depends if you can do the work yourself , My husband did a powder room for $1200 and a full bathroom for about $3300.This included all new sinks,toilets ,counter tops ,plumbing,flooring and taps.And I can honestly say it was done to a good standard,granite counter in powder room .To put it in perspective a contractor quoted us $4500 for powder room and $11000 for main bathroom.

We did a full Kitchen Reno for $7000 and bought everything at home depot and it was a nice quality kitchen even had pot drawers and glass corner cupboard with lighting.This was in 2009 for one property we bought.BTW my husband says he did it but I supervised lol .A cheap CONTRACTOR charges $40 per hour ,if you have access to tools and a skilled person to help that's the best way to go.
    Last edited by marina628; 2011-03-01 at 09:28 PM.

It depends on equipment of the future kitchen and bathroom. The majority of our clients ask me that what is a better strategy? Firstly, clients want to buy the older home for less money - that´s your situation. And secondly, clients want to invest more money to their future home, because they´re tired from an idea of renovating house. I think first strategy is a bit better, but it depends on lot of factors. My advice is a planning, what it means planning of financial budget and planning of the concrete part of rooms for renovating. Have a good luck!

get ikea cabinest
    splash it up with nice hardware
    finish it off with great appliances
    nice stone
    voila, new kitchen

Ikea cabinets have come a long way http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...ments/kitchen/ not sure what that would cost but not bad.

I think the cost depends on the size of the area. Normally it will cost you 25$ to 30$ for par square ft. but as quality incrrease your budget can also increase.

Our current house, when we bought it, had a kitchen which had last been renovated in the 1940s. I actually have no idea how the previous owners cooked in it. There was a half-size (ancient) gas stove, an apartment-sized refrigerator, and ONE cupboard. One. It would fit a few pots and pans.

NEways. There were 5 layers of linoleum on the floor. My husband and his dad ripped them out and we painted the pine subfloor. I would also have gone with painted plywood, but the subfloor is fine (actually pretty!)

We bought scratch and dent high-end appliances - fridge, microwave, and stove. Probably 50% discount from retail.

We bought cabinets, Corian countertop, and a very fancy (and huge) sink at our local ReStore -- all from a restaurant that was either renovating or had gone out of business. Total cost: $1200. We filled in a few cabinet loose ends with IKEA stuff.

We painted and put in new track lights.

Our total costs would be under $6K and our kitchen is very functional and quite pretty. It looks kind of industrial - industrial sink, I have an industrial blender, etc. but I spend a lot of time there and love it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast