Hide "Hot Button Discussion" threads
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hide "Hot Button Discussion" threads

Hide "Hot Button Discussion" threads

Is there a way to hide these threads from appearing under "New Posts". I find they detract from my enjoyment of the forum.

Or maybe make this forum invisible unless you subscribe to it? I'm sure there are others who would rather not see that forum.

I possess this thing called: "self control". It developed at the end of my adolescence and gives me the ability to not click on topics I'm not interested in.

That doesn't answer my question. Perhaps if I'd been asking for snide remarks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

It's more of a work-around. it's an effective method to deal with other similar life challenges too.

I understand that, but I think it would be better for the forum if those discussions weren't viewable by default.

I'm tired of seeing thread titles like "Islamo-facism and Anti-semetism in action" on my dash every time I log in... it's inflammatory and unnecessary.

To be fair, it's mainly the same two or three users who have made it their goal to ruin every discussion. I could block those people entirely, but that's a clumsy solution.

This place has already lost a lot of long-time members, and I'm sure it will lose more if nothing changes. Most people don't say anything, they just gradually
    make fewer visits, and eventually don't come at all.

In the end all that remains are the angry blowhards to bicker among themselves.
    Last edited by nathan79; 2015-12-15 at 04:43 PM.

Super Moderator
    I don't know of anyway to block it, maybe the Admin does and will chime in here.

If it's blocked by default, how will people see it in the first place?

Personally, I don't find it hard to ignore certain threads...before you brought it up, I rarely noticed it.
    I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

what / where are these "hot button discussion threads" ?

It's a sub forum of the general discussion. The moderators started it to keep the "potentially offensive" threads out of the main forums. This was after the moderation went overboard and started deleting entire threads which were determined to be "inappropriate" by a single user (and it was liberally applied to understate the problem at the time).

After that issue was resolved (and threads such as travel tips restored), some people still complained about certain topics, which some of the user base obviously wants to discuss. The solution was to build a separate sub forum which anyone could avoid if they so choose (it's blocked entirely for new users).
    I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

It's easy to avoid the sub-forum, but having the threads appear under "New Posts" kind of defeats the purpose of separating them.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast