Hide "Hot Button Discussion" threads - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hide "Hot Button Discussion" threads

This is not an issue of free speech, since there will always be places on the Internet to discuss these topics, the question is whether CMF wants to be one of those places, or whether it wants to focus on retirement and financial planning. As I noted, it is not my choice, it is the choice of the people who own the forum. Some people think that their right to free speech means they should be able to say whatever they want to on CMF. I recognize it as a business, and the owners of the business get to decide what is discussed.

I have been told to shut up in the Hot Button discussion, but have never told anyone else to do so because I know it doesn't work. Pointing out when someone is being racist does not limit their free speech. Telling someone not to point out when someone else is being racist is a limitation on free speech.

I think the OP got his answer, so I wouldn't want to turn this thread into another hot button discussion, so how about this: try calling j4b a coward - and see if it convinces him to start buying stocks (or he convinces you to sell yours lol)

Whatever the subject, it's all a matter of different opinions. Some people are better at convincing others, some will never change their views, but the discussion itself may persuade the readers to question theirs and swing either way - and yes, there're other forums for this.

(I used to avoid general and especially hot button discussions myself, thinking that it will affect my perception of financial advices from people whose non-financial opinions don't seem too bright...)
    Last edited by Moneytoo; 2015-12-16 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan79 View Post
    Is there a way to hide these threads from appearing under "New Posts". I find they detract from my enjoyment of the forum.

Or maybe make this forum invisible unless you subscribe to it? I'm sure there are others who would rather not see that forum.
    Nathan, I've actually wondered the same thing in the past, so thanks for asking. (I use "New Posts" as a bookmark in my browser). Funny how some of the same few people who are so active in the "Hot Button Discussion" threads felt the need to pile on here with the sarcasm just for asking a simple question isn't it ?
    ___

Quote Originally Posted by protomok View Post
    Interesting, I didn't even know about the New Posts link.

This method seems to work:

1) Click "Advanced Search"...just below the "Log Out" text
    2) Select "Search Single Content Type"
    3) Under "Additional Options" you'll want to select all forums except the Hot Button Discussions forum. To do so click the first forum name in the text box, and shift click the last forum name. You can then need to control+click the Hot Button forum (or command+click for Mac).
    4) Uncheck the "Also search in child forums" check box.
    5) In the Find Posts Section you can limit how many new posts should be shown
    6) Select "Save Search Preferences" then click Go
    7) Add a bookmark in your browser for this address: http://canadianmoneyforum.com/search.php?search_type=1

In the future you can then click your new bookmark, then click "Search Now". To make this even faster you can use the "s" short key, typically alt+s or alt+shift+s (for Mac it would be control+alt+s) instead of clicking Search.

It's essentially a 1 click + 1 short key solution to search for recent posts that exclude Hot Button posts.
    Awesome! Thanks for finding the quick fix protomok!
    a financial message board can cost you money.
    ^ bmoney, in TPH thread.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I also use New Posts, and just skip over the threads that don’t interest me.

Problems can arise though, when discussions in Hot Button spill over into the financial forums. People can’t seem to let go of the bad feelings generated there.

Hey guys, I will have to check with Kyle to see how we remove this from "New Posts".

Thanks,
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    This is not an issue of free speech, since there will always be places on the Internet to discuss these topics, the question is whether CMF wants to be one of those places, or whether it wants to focus on retirement and financial planning. As I noted, it is not my choice, it is the choice of the people who own the forum. Some people think that their right to free speech means they should be able to say whatever they want to on CMF. I recognize it as a business, and the owners of the business get to decide what is discussed.

I have been told to shut up in the Hot Button discussion, but have never told anyone else to do so because I know it doesn't work. Pointing out when someone is being racist does not limit their free speech. Telling someone not to point out when someone else is being racist is a limitation on free speech.
    this is such smug bull#$it

"pointing out" someone is racist ? .. seriously ? ... like you are educating them and doing them a favour when all it amounts to is your own invective, your own bile cloaked by the wrapper of the modern progressive and his high ideals like you have to teach the morally-compromised how to think and what racism is and isn't

what a joke

apparently i am paragon of internal vigilance, strength and willpower (who knew ?, certainly not me) because i have been coming here for years and i use a simple technique:

i just read the threads i like and ignore the ones i don't like ... and it works so well, perfectly in fact ... how can that be so damn hard for you tender souls ?

except this really isn't the issue ... some of you just don't like to even hear certain kinds of views expressed ... here ... or anywhere ... ideas that don't buttress your "progressive" vision of the New Canada ... you don't want anyone to say them anywhere .. that's the plain fact

you could avoid any of these threads by simply not reading them (now we have a proven tech solution to do that) but you can't help yourselves because you have an unstoppable twitch, a thumping urge to tell others how to think and what they can or cannot say
    Last edited by fatcat; 2015-12-16 at 02:17 PM.

I was talking to a teacher the other day and, in order to avoid people becoming offended by certain words, they are now mandated to issue a warning that they are about to use a "trigger word" (as it could trigger an emotional response) before they use that word so that people have an opportunity to leave the room before the word is used.

A list of trigger words he needed to send the warnings about was absolutely silly in some cases.

I originally thought it was a joke, but apparently this is the new policy.
    I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

I'm new to cmf, and I use the "New Posts", and I too would be happy to dump some threads from appearing in the results. I will try that trick posted above.

I am on other forums that have a "ignore thread" option, and I can torpedo any busy thread that I don't want to read from appearing in my results.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzer View Post
    I'm new to cmf, and I use the "New Posts", and I too would be happy to dump some threads from appearing in the results. I will try that trick posted above.

I am on other forums that have a "ignore thread" option, and I can torpedo any busy thread that I don't want to read from appearing in my results.
    cmf is a vbulletin web board system which is very widely implemented

there is a hack that apparently allows users to do just that: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/archi.../t-127487.html

I was talking to a teacher the other day and, in order to avoid people becoming offended by certain words, they are now mandated to issue a warning that they are about to use a "trigger word" (as it could trigger an emotional response) before they use that word so that people have an opportunity to leave the room before the word is used.
    this is happening everywhere especially on college campuses ... it's hard to know even how to react to such a thing

we are supposed to self-censor to anticipate "offensive" words ... how do you do this ? ... is there a list of words that one memorizes ? ...

an "emotional response" ? ... how about "pizza" or "hot sex" ... are those on the list ?

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    cmf is a vbulletin web board system which is very widely implemented

there is a hack that apparently allows users to do just that: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/archi.../t-127487.html
    Here is an updated version: https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=272375

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast