Hide "Hot Button Discussion" threads - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hide "Hot Button Discussion" threads

I suppose it could be be made that new posts didn't appear in the headline of the main forum, since they are for posts within a subforum anyways...

But this is the height of Liberal complaining if I've ever heard it.

Note the complaint example was "Islamo-facism and Anti-semetism in action", specifically. Not "Islamophobia and hate crimes against Muslims", by chance, perhaps.

Also note that the the text in said example title is too long to fully be visible in the headline of the main forum (titles that are too long are truncated), so clearly you was able to find the courage within yourself to click into the Hot Topic subforum at some point. Yet, you complains about an unbearable assault on your eyes as a result of a truncated headline which is incidentally displayed occasionally when a post in the subforum happens to be the newest post...

You can make suppositions all you want that this forum will lose member "if nothing changes". But I could all but guarantee that CMF would lose a number of valuable members if anything close to progressive censorship, which is practically ubiquitous in all forms of media except a few remaining pockets of the internet, rears its ugly head around here...

If you can't handle the heat, stay in the financial forums. I myself even occasionally cannot handle the heat during a hot-topic debate, and must extract myself from the conversation even though I want to stay in, to keep myself sane and from boiling over.

i guess im on a roll here lately and pie will no doubt disapprove but i cant seem to restrain myself

to the op, every new post search will give a long list of recent posts which i scan quickly through and pick up the ones i like and pass the others by ... easy-peasy as the saying goes

is your constitution so delicate that the mere sight of thread titles is upsetting or what ?

whatever happened to just ignoring things ?

do we need to now put one of those ubiquitous warnings on the forum "warning some readers may find content disturbing" ?

i don't know whether to laugh or cry

are you a college student ? ... apparently professors can no longer teach certain subjects because their students find the material upsetting

http://dailysignal.com/2014/11/01/co...ting-material/

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    Also note that the the text in said example title is too long to fully be visible in the headline of the main forum (titles that are too long are truncated), so clearly you was able to find the courage within yourself to click into the Hot Topic subforum at some point. Yet, you complains about an unbearable assault on your eyes as a result of a truncated headline which is incidentally displayed occasionally when a post in the subforum happens to be the newest post...
    I've never actually been in that section. I'm talking about the "New Posts" in the upper left-hand corner of the main board... it shows all posts, even ones supposedly "hidden" in sub-forums. Sometimes I accidentally click a "Hot" topic.

The point of the sub-forum was to separate those discussions from the main board, so they should probably not appear under "New Posts" IMO, unless the user agreed to have them show up. Other boards I frequent seem to be able to make these arrangements. I understand those threads are not even visible to new members, for instance.

It's a minor irritant that just makes coming here a bit less pleasant. I've been coming here for about four years and I don't remember seeing so much "controversial" threads up until this year. There were always a few but nothing like the last few months. What happened to this place?

I guess it comes down to whether the owners of the board want such "negative" threads in plain view. Maybe it drives traffic to the board, but I feel it plays to trolling mentalities.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    i guess im on a roll here lately and pie will no doubt disapprove but i cant seem to restrain myself

to the op, every new post search will give a long list of recent posts which i scan quickly through and pick up the ones i like and pass the others by ... easy-peasy as the saying goes

is your constitution so delicate that the mere sight of thread titles is upsetting or what ?

whatever happened to just ignoring things ?

do we need to now put one of those ubiquitous warnings on the forum "warning some readers may find content disturbing" ?

i don't know whether to laugh or cry

are you a college student ? ... apparently professors can no longer teach certain subjects because their students find the material upsetting

http://dailysignal.com/2014/11/01/co...ting-material/
    Yeah, whatever. You're making it into a big deal far more than anything that I said. I just asked if something could be done. If it can't be done, fine...

Interesting, I didn't even know about the New Posts link.

This method seems to work:

1) Click "Advanced Search"...just below the "Log Out" text
    2) Select "Search Single Content Type"
    3) Under "Additional Options" you'll want to select all forums except the Hot Button Discussions forum. To do so click the first forum name in the text box, and shift click the last forum name. You can then need to control+click the Hot Button forum (or command+click for Mac).
    4) Uncheck the "Also search in child forums" check box.
    5) In the Find Posts Section you can limit how many new posts should be shown
    6) Select "Save Search Preferences" then click Go
    7) Add a bookmark in your browser for this address: http://canadianmoneyforum.com/search.php?search_type=1

In the future you can then click your new bookmark, then click "Search Now". To make this even faster you can use the "s" short key, typically alt+s or alt+shift+s (for Mac it would be control+alt+s) instead of clicking Search.

It's essentially a 1 click + 1 short key solution to search for recent posts that exclude Hot Button posts.
    Last edited by protomok; 2015-12-16 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by protomok View Post
    Interesting, I didn't even know about the New Posts link.

This method seems to work:

1) Click "Advanced Search"...just below the "Log Out" text
    2) Select "Search Single Content Type"
    3) Under "Additional Options" you'll want to select all forums except the Hot Button Discussions forum. To do so click the first forum name in the text box, and shift click the last forum name. You can then need to control+click the Hot Button forum (or command+click for Mac).
    4) Uncheck the "Also search in child forums" check box.
    5) In the Find Posts Section you can limit how many new posts should be shown
    6) Select "Save Search Preferences" then click Go
    7) Add a bookmark in your browser for this address: http://canadianmoneyforum.com/search.php?search_type=1

In the future you can then click your new bookmark, then click "Search Now". To make this even faster you can use the "s" short key, typically alt+s or alt+shift+s (for Mac it would be control+alt+s) instead of clicking Search.

It's essentially a 1 click + 1 short key solution to search for recent posts that exclude Hot Button posts.
    That actually works great... thanks. You're right, it's essentially the same thing but more customizable.

I thought more people used "New Posts" but I guess not. I shouldn't have assumed that everyone knew about/understood how it worked. Someone who doesn't use that feature would probably never noticed Hot Button topics outside of the sub-forum.

I also try to avoid the Hot Button topics because I know that my life is worse when I wade into the muck that they become. Yet, I am still drawn in, and always end up regretting it. early-retirement.com decided long ago that it wasn't going to become that kind of forum, and focuses on early retirement and financial planning issues. threads that wander off into political controversies are locked or deleted. What CMF has become is encapsulated in the responses here to an innocent question from someone who wants to focus on financial discussion and avoid the cesspit:

"I possess this thing called: "self control". It developed at the end of my adolescence and gives me the ability to not click on topics I'm not interested in."

"this is the height of Liberal complaining if I've ever heard it."

"is your constitution so delicate that the mere sight of thread titles is upsetting or what ?"

I agree with nathan that if this is what CMF is going to be, then it will lose a lot people who come here for financial discussions. I think many visitors get immediately turned off by the vitriol and extremist views and never bother joining. But it's not my forum - that decision is up to its owners.

I always use New Posts and skip topics that do not interest me. As an occasional user, I am only aware of Hot Topics because I receive a warning when I am about to post in one. I am for less censorship and reasonable moderation.

Davis,

I'm surprised that you can find the above quotes a "cesspit", but find no offence that one person's disapproval means a need for a total ban. Then again, thinking about past disagreements, maybe I shouldn't be surprised. I find, in life, there is no topic on the planet to which everyone will agree, even if we limit the topic to "financial discussion", there would be opposition (the travel tips, where there were plenty of money saving ideas, was deleted because of just such an opinion...during that time, more people left the board than at any other as well).

A dictatorship who claims to be doing things "for the good of the people", isn't any better than other forms of dictatorship. Heck, even nazi Germany's said it was doing things for the good of humanity.

The moderators have been doing their best, after things had swung to both extremes, to find a compromise. I think they succeeded as, by my definition of compromise, no one is completely happy with the results.
    I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy View Post
    A dictatorship who claims to be doing things "for the good of the people", isn't any better than other forms of dictatorship. Heck, even nazi Germany's said it was doing things for the good of humanity.
    Also, I think it would be great if instead of labeling those who oppose "the politically correct point of view" as extremists, racists, bigots etc., we could see real people (and tax payers!) behind the personas: a concerned citizen, a worried mother, a scared retiree etc. and understand that telling people what they should feel and think is not gonna work, if they just hide their concerns, worries and fears - they'll resurface after the next threat or terrorist attack...

Telling people to shut up or bombarding them with clichés is easy. Turning fear into understanding (and accepting) of the situation is hard. And for that, I'm personally grateful to hot button discussions

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast