Wireless Web Programmable Thermostats and Switches - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wireless Web Programmable Thermostats and Switches

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    What's a furnace?

Here in Québec, most people heat with electricity (because it's so cheap), and most people heat with baseboard heaters, one thermostat in every room or living space.
    Didn't realize we were talking about electric baseboard heat. Thought we were talking gas forced air

Quote Originally Posted by m3s View Post
    I agree but no it doesn't show temps. That would be easy enough to implement, and maybe I could ask them to, but what is probably more important for now is that they keep the interface reliable, responsive and easy to use.

The temps have dropped even more, but the pattern is still about the same. It costs +3 hours to heat a room back up. I'm seeing a 40% savings if you turn the heat off in a room for 16hrs. That's not really possible in all rooms though.

If you google ashrae guidlines for setback temperature, it is about 17 degC for setpoint, apparently this gives the best recovery ratio vs cost savings.

cheers.

The numbers are in and my 4 Sinopé thermostats paid for themselves in the first winter

Sinopé Starter kit + 2 additional thermostats: $402

Total hydro cost Oct 15 - Apr 16: $1076

Total hydro cost Oct 14 - Apr 15: $1558

Difference: $482

There are many factors at play because every winter is different etc, but I think the biggest factor was my interest in reducing hydro costs. Before it was a chore to manage 8 thermostats individually and if I rushed out the door and forgot 1 there was no way to check or adjust them remotely. Now I enjoy turning the heat on from my phone on my way home with a single touch. Similar to web banking, the web is the only way I adjust my thermostats now. The best part is that the thermostat times are synced automatically based on your postal code and daylight savings time is automatically adjusted like on any smartphone/computer. I used the web interface all winter with no sign of glitches

They have some new products out that I'm really interested in such as the smart light switch that can simulate presence and be scheduled based on sunset/sunrise. I live up north so the sunset/sunrise varies drastically throughout the year such that if I leave for a month or so my scheduled lights are out of whack coming on way to early or late etc. You can demo the light interface now and there are some neat settings, such as double press in the master bedroom turns off/on all lights or syncing switches etc. I doubt these switches would pay for themselves in hydro savings, but they do add security and convenience if you are often away

https://demo.neviweb.com/
    amat victoria curam

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo View Post
    If you google ashrae guidlines for setback temperature, it is about 17 degC for setpoint, apparently this gives the best recovery ratio vs cost savings.

cheers.
    That sounds about right from what I saw. If you set too low then you just wasted too much heating back up
    amat victoria curam

Quote Originally Posted by m3s View Post
    The numbers are in and my 4 Sinopé thermostats paid for themselves in the first winter
    That's really impressive, especially in a province where electricity is so cheap; I would have thought they'd take years to pay for themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    That's really impressive, especially in a province where electricity is so cheap; I would have thought they'd take years to pay for themselves!
    Electricity is really cheap but it also averages below zero half the year where I live. Last winter was especially cold so I won't give all the credit to the thermostats, but I'm happy so far
    amat victoria curam

I love my Ecobee thermostat. The thing that I like the most is that it has remote sensors that detect both motion and temp. I generally set the temp lower (in the winter) during the weekdays. On days that I work from home, the sensors know that I'm home, and it will adjust the temp automatically. You can also use the sensors to determine when the furnace turns on/off. For example, in the summer, the upper floor is generally hotter, and if you like to be cool when you sleep, you can tell the Ecobee to use the remote sensor's temp reading instead of the temp reading on the thermostat itself for the night. It will cool the house until it reaches the desired temp in the bedroom(s). Your lower floor will be cold, but you get the desired temp for where you are. During the day, you set it back to normal. Call me lazy/forgetful, but some things in life are worth paying a few extra bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SW20 MR2 View Post
    Call me lazy/forgetful, but some things in life are worth paying a few extra bucks.
    Yup

I'm still very happy with my Sinopé setup a year later. I like that they're a local Canadian company and the quality/price is very competitive

My outside lights are programmed to turn off/on with the sunset/sunrise. I no longer have to reprogram them every few weeks

Upstairs is heated during the day, room is only heated at night, and basement is manual on with an auto-off at midnight

My water heater is only on half the day now, and I find hot water is still available if needed even when it's off

A single tap and everything switches to vacation mode. Ask Siri to remind me to turn it back on when I get to X or at X time

Daylight savings time is adjusted automatically on all thermostats. Outside temps are also pulled from the web

Diminishing returns for the second winter:

amat victoria curam

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234