Wireless Web Programmable Thermostats and Switches - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Web Programmable Thermostats and Switches

Quote Originally Posted by m3s View Post

I can see these becoming the norm in 5-10 years, interesting to see if a Canadian brand can stick around
    I agree, and they are definitely a better deal than the Hue although perhaps a bit more complex to install. I have nothing good to say about the Hue -- they are supposed to last at least 15 years but one of them burned out after a year and the app had trouble finding one of the others after awhile. Resetting the bridge worked, but I definitely would never buy them again. It looks like Cree and others have started selling similar controllable lights.

In Ottawa you get a rebate if you install a wifi thermostat: https://hydroottawa.com/save-energy/...l/smartrebates

Not sure why more municipalities aren't doing that.

That's all I need - a thermostat that some teenage hacker can play with when it's either -40 or +40.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Has that ever happened? I've heard of baby cams being hacked but that was because the owners were clueless about setting up the security features.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    Not sure why more municipalities aren't doing that.
    Because it's a waste of taxpayer money?

About them being hacked: I wouldn't be too worried. Not because they'll be secure but rather because there's not much "fun" out of hacking a thermostat. Unlike cars (imagine getting all the cars in the parking lot to honk a tune in sync) or cameras (you can spy around the globe).

Quote Originally Posted by off.by.10 View Post
    Not if it you heat with electricity and it can play a role in helping to avoid the expense of building new power plants (or entering into new contracts with outside providers). Programmable thermostats save a typical household about $180/year in energy costs. Multiply that by 1,000 households and you've saved $180,000. Translate that into kWh saved per year and it becomes worth it: energy efficiency is always the cheapest option when you're worried about meeting electricity demand.

I don't understand why programmable thermostats would save money. When I was a kid and we just had the plain old thermostat, my parents would always turn the heat down before we went to bed and turn it up again in the morning, and whenever we would leave the house for more than a few hours we would turn the heat down. Do other people without programmable thermostats not do this? So a programmable thermostat wouldn't save you money, it would just make it more convenient because you wouldn't have to manually change the temp. A wifi one takes the convenience factor one step further by allowing you to change it remotely before you get home so the house is nice and warm when you walk in.

Now that I live in a 1 bedroom condo and my hydro bill is about $22-23 per month, I don't bother.

I don't understand why programmable thermostats would save money.
    Because people are forgetful. See m3s's original post at the beginning of this thread.

My girlfriend is a bit obsessive-compulsive, and in 8 years of living here we have never once forgotten to turn down the heat at night or when we leave the house, she checks every thermostat, sometimes twice. So it's not an issue for us. But it is an issue for most people. Have a few glasses of wine with supper and slip off to bed without remembering to turn down the heat, etc., it happens.

I'm used to having a programmable thermostat - this house I live in now is the first place I've lived that doesn't have one. I almost always forget to turn it down at night and have to get up out of bed to go do it. Sometimes I don't remember at all.

Quote Originally Posted by OhGreatGuru View Post
    That's all I need - a thermostat that some teenage hacker can play with when it's either -40 or +40.
    The Sinopé system is encrypted like secure WiFi and online banking. If some teenage hacker can crack SSL they might as well rob banks instead. This is a real concern for some other systems though.. Anyone can trigger a typical garage door with a simple transmitter yet many Canadians leave valuables in their garage and don't lock the front door. Doesn't seem to be a major problem?

Quote Originally Posted by off.by.10 View Post
    Hydro Québec used to offer rebates on the purchase of energy efficient appliances and programmable thermostats. As I understand they export electricity to Ontario and the US at a much higher rates, so the less they sell to the Québecois the more they can export for a higher profit?

I don't understand why programmable thermostats would save money. When I was a kid and we just had the plain old thermostat, my parents would always turn the heat down before we went to bed and turn it up again in the morning, and whenever we would leave the house for more than a few hours we would turn the heat down.
    Did your parents have 8 thermostats though? If I had a single thermostat by the door I could probably manage this.. but 8? The good thing about individual thermostats is I can close doors and heat individual bedrooms at night and vice versa, and keep the heat down in rooms I seldom use. The trouble is if you forget to turn down 1 thermostat it will burn more energy trying to heat a larger space.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    My girlfriend is a bit obsessive-compulsive, and in 8 years of living here we have never once forgotten to turn down the heat at night or when we leave the house, she checks every thermostat, sometimes twice. So it's not an issue for us. But it is an issue for most people. Have a few glasses of wine with supper and slip off to bed without remembering to turn down the heat, etc., it happens.
    Brad, from your posts over the years I seem to remember you work at home? That would probably make it reasonable with the 8 manual thermostats. I'm a bit OCD about these things myself but I've chosen not to fight the thermostat battle because my schedule is too unpredictable. I leave on a short trip in the summer and come back months later to find half the heaters running etc.

I set up the house so I can leave at a moments notice, unplug and few things and flip a few circuit breakers, and the neighbours teenager takes care of the rest. The more things I can control online the better. I like that the Sinopé system can send email alerts, and I can remotely monitor usage and turn the heat back up on the way home.

amat victoria curam

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast