Canadian Money Forum banner

What are you selling?

297K views 1K replies 173 participants last post by  hboy54 
#1 ·
I thought there was a thread on this topic already,
but I couldn't find it.

Today I sold Penn West Petroleum (PWT) +38% total return.

Only had a small position and sold all; will be looking to
buy back if there is a significant correction.

PWT closed 25.36

#33 ·
rock n roll w victoria.

she announced good news last night. Conference call starts 10 mins.

i sold this am already. Yikes i had just bought last week.

this small miner has some of the stolid, well-anchored properties of the ageing british monarch. No doubt at the insistence of majority shareholder kinross, it's put its risky exploration interests in nevada on the back burner & is going for development of the known mine at dublin gulch yukon. Along the way, very popular ceo & builder chad williams recently got sacrificed.

#34 · (Edited)
svm gam

This week I reduced exposure in the PM sector.

Sold the rest of my shares in Silvercorp Metals (SVM)

Also sold all Gammom Gold (GAM). Gammom has been dead money since I bought it a year ago; the pop this week gave me the opportunity to walk away with 5% gain.

Trimmed some more profit from RBC precious metals and parked the proceeds in my favorite "wait and see" fund. (PH&N Monthly Income).

Added: the happy trader's W formation with h/t to Chris :)

#39 ·
not selling today ... perhaps buying

Trader Dan says, "Goldman Sachs provides opportunity".

News this morning that GS recommended clients book profits on long commodity positions in anticipation of a short term correction should be taken for what it is - their clients may be long but GS is short.

(...)

The widespread selling in commodities is indiscriminate today - it is related to money flows once again as even the grains are being sold in spite of the strongly bullish set of fundamentals in that complex.

link here

#42 · (Edited)
Sold my kilo (32.15oz) of silver from April 27. Booked 45% capital loss ($1595->$1098). Don't think silver is a good investment right now. Might buy an ETF again below $10, but will probably just stick to gold for my stash of physical bullion.

Oh, and I'm buying a bike with what's left. Way better investment.

#45 ·
Booked more profit in gold stock shortly after market open this morning.

Not in a hurry to buy right now as most of the stocks on my list are still well above their 200 week moving averages.

Am also exploring other investments which are;
  • out of the spotlight
  • where shorts can't touch them
  • offer yield and/or growth
  • are not subject to the vagaries of the stock market

One such possibility is Rubix and their alliances.

#46 ·
i sold a few trp this am, one reason among many being that i could sell in USD (a half-gambit w no foreign exchange fee yay.)

my brand-new FX-free US dollars will be used to put on a diagonal call spread in PG, which, accommodatingly enough, is dropping right now.

#48 ·
bdt-t ... and thinking too much

Sold my BDT ($13)

I luv this company and will definitely buy back some day.

Now, I'm raising cash and booking profit
because I want to pay more taxes next year :rolleyes:

I think the reason so many people can be found under the bed is because they can't/won't sell. This thread should be just as busy as the "what are you buying" thread. Of course, if you're a fearless "buy and holder", this doesn't apply and good for you ... seriously.

But for those who are already finishing off the second pot of coffee, and itching to buy "something" because TSX is +130 ... maybe, just maybe, you should be selling?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.