Canadian Money Forum banner

Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp (AQN)

58K views 304 replies 51 participants last post by  AltaRed 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone holds this?
Seems like it has performed well over the past few year.
The P/E is high at 30 but it also has a beta of 0.17 and a 5.16% dividend.

I have not had the chance yet the comb through the financials yet, but wondering what you guys think about it?

#2 ·
Yes, bought around $7.50 a year+ ago and held since, buy and holder here ... latest news (surprise) was dividend payment switched to US$, great for RRSP. Heard there was some business partnership with Emera (big electrical producer in NS) in the wind energy sector ... this needs to be verified though.

#4 ·
^
Since the payment is in USD would there be the 15% withholding tax?
... not in an RRSP/LIRA but in TFSA for sure. It is a Canadian company that used to paid dividends in C$ but somewhere (not too long ago), it switched to paying in US$ which I found out by surprise as mentioned above. I'm a buy it, set it and forgetaboutit type of investor.

#16 ·
I bought 85 shares at 11.41 the day before Emera dumped their shares. I am not too worried about the $1000, but I think i will have been well spent at that div yield and the pace the company is going at. The hydro plants/wind/solar plants are all in 10+ year contracts to sell their electricity from my understanding, which is some nice piece of mind. With COP21 putting the squeeze on oil/coal power liquid natural gas is going to be a big player in the near future too for providing cleaner but still consistent power output, and AQN has a few out West in the US and Canada.

#25 ·
^ Yes, yes, yes, yes on these clean energy facilities - that's why I bought AQN in the first place (2012?). If they throw in an unicorn, that would be great too! :biggrin:

#27 ·
I have shares in this now. 5%+ yield and 10% growth projected out several years. Plenty of more contracts coming for them, most of which are at the state level. Kind of basing here and now trading just above the 10 day moving average for the first time in over three weeks.

#33 ·
I think that risk is now baked into the price. Question is: Does AQN re-focus its development effort back in Canada? AB and SK in particular are going to have to have more renewables to offset some of the coal generation to be retired. Mixing gas turbine generation along with wind may be a palatable combination.

#35 ·
AQN is a Canadian domiciled company. There would be no withholding taxes for Canadian residents regardless of what currency the dividends are paid. BUT you will likely incur a forex charge for converting the USD dividends to CAD in the TFSA (assuming AQN sits in the CAD side of your TFSA).