Some things cheaper in Canada than US
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some things cheaper in Canada than US

Super Moderator

Some things cheaper in Canada than US

I spend time in both countries, and I've discovered a few things that I'm better off buying in Canada. Do you know of other things to add to this list?

Netflix: I subscribe to Netflix Canada basic @ 7.99 CAD. But I almost exclusively use it from the US. Versus the US price of 7.99 USD, this is a 24% savings for the exact same service!

Contact lenses: I found that my brand is cheaper in Canada (I'm buying them from clearly.ca). Even with the shipping, they're cheaper than what I can get in the US (e.g. Walgreens in store or on-line). This was a surprise to me, but once you convert currencies it's cheaper in Canada.

Domain names: I have several, and I've migrated nearly all of them to 10dollar.ca. Every time the US renewals came up, I noticed they were getting more expensive (largely due to FX rate).

Other things? I also find fruits & vegetables are much cheaper in Canada but you can't haul those over the border.

I noticed that produce is cheap in Canada. Odd, too, because so much of it comes from the US.

James, if you lived in Canada you would be earning Canadian dollars and would not benefit from the current exchange rates.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Netflix has a better selection in the USA than it does in Canada. Perhaps you get what you pay for.
    I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

JAG, every netflix subscription is the same, The content you have access to is determined by your ip address.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
    James, if you lived in Canada you would be earning Canadian dollars and would not benefit from the current exchange rates.
    I don't think this affects the situation. Say you earn income in Canada and you have two choices, using my contact lenses as an example.

a) buy item X in the US at 63.50 USD = 83.45 CAD
    b) buy item X in Canada at 72 CAD = 72.00 CAD

So the item X is still cheaper in Canada. Am I missing something?

There are certain things that people go and buy in the US because it's cheaper, when comparing the prices (in CAD)
    Last edited by james4beach; 2015-08-10 at 01:46 AM.

Super Moderator
    Watch out for these domain names, if you currently purchased yours through a US-based registrar.

I was using what used to be a very cheap domain name reseller, where I bought my domain several years ago. For my .ORG they currently want 18.65 USD for renewal, including domain privacy. That's 24.52 CAD.

At 10dollar.ca, the same domain costs 13.71 CAD after taxes. This is nearly half of what I'm paying at the US registrar. If you're in the same situation, transfer your domains! The domain transfers are quite easy to do. In fact tonight I just started the domain transfer process to bring this .ORG to 10dollar.ca. The domain transfer price is discounted; it's only 10.45 CAD including one year renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    Watch out for these domain names, if you currently purchased yours through a US-based registrar.

I was using what used to be a very cheap domain name reseller, where I bought my domain several years ago. For my .ORG they currently want 18.65 USD for renewal, including domain privacy. That's 24.52 CAD.

At 10dollar.ca, the same domain costs 13.71 CAD after taxes. This is nearly half of what I'm paying at the US registrar. If you're in the same situation, transfer your domains! The domain transfers are quite easy to do. In fact tonight I just started the domain transfer process to bring this .ORG to 10dollar.ca. The domain transfer price is discounted; it's only 10.45 CAD including one year renewal.
    Check out rebel.ca - it seems to be even cheaper.

I don't think this affects the situation. Say you earn income in Canada and you have two choices, using my contact lenses as an example.

a) buy item X in the US at 63.50 USD = 83.45 CAD
    b) buy item X in Canada at 72 CAD = 72.00 CAD

So the item X is still cheaper in Canada. Am I missing something?

There are certain things that people go and buy in the US because it's cheaper, when comparing the prices (in CAD)
    What I was trying to convey was that an exchange rate that is very favourable to the U.S. Dollar makes it even more attractive for an American resident to buy something in Canada than it otherwise would be. Conversely, it is less attractive for Canadians to shop in the U.S. using money they have earned in Canada.

Contact lenses: I found that my brand is cheaper in Canada (I'm buying them from clearly.ca). Even with the shipping, they're cheaper than what I can get in the US (e.g. Walgreens in store or on-line). This was a surprise to me, but once you convert currencies it's cheaper in Canada.
    What lenses do you use james?
    I've been using Optima polymacon lenses (but using them for way too long as well as wearing them overnight).

Since you brought my attention to clearly.ca I've done a little research and decided to try some Air Optixs hydrogel lenses which claim to be more oxygen permeable, as well as some of my old brand to bring the order over $100 (for free delivery).

Just put the order in, & didn't even realise until today that I didn't have to order lenses through the optometrist, so now maybe I'll stop trying to get too much use out of each lense.
    Thanks for the info!

a financial message board can cost you money.
    ^ bmoney, in TPH thread.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast