Some things cheaper in Canada than US - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some things cheaper in Canada than US

Super Moderator
    Good points, and yes liability is one of their big concerns.

I have another example of incredibly high US medical costs. I went to the barber this morning and he told me: his friend had developed a staph infection a few years ago. Really serious stuff, big complications. He had a good insurance plan, which covered 70% of all the bills.

The final bills came to around $3 million. He still had to pay $900 K himself ... negotiated down, likely, but in the end he had to sell his house.

That's what you get in American even when you have health insurance. Canadians should not aspire to the US health system.

That's what you get in American even when you have health insurance. Canadians should not aspire to the US health system.
    Never did! One of the resaon we decline relocation into US in 2010

Just buying some camera equipment (Canon APS-format DSLR) and lenses. To my surprise, reputable Canadian dealers are currently cheaper than reputable U.S. ones. May be a temporary situation (manufacturer's MSRP set at a time when Cdn/US fx rate was different), but still worthwhile.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by houska View Post
    Just buying some camera equipment (Canon APS-format DSLR) and lenses. To my surprise, reputable Canadian dealers are currently cheaper than reputable U.S. ones. May be a temporary situation (manufacturer's MSRP set at a time when Cdn/US fx rate was different), but still worthwhile.
    Can you post some examples?

When the dollar was at par, tires were much cheaper to buy in the US even after paying taxes+duties at CBSA

It's interesting. Currently the tires I bought in Canada were way cheaper than the same set off Tirerack. So people from the US should be buying in Canada.

Tirerack is about $765 CAD + shipping (~$80) to a US address, whereas I got the same set in Canada for $650 (taxes, fees, and install included). Pirelli P7 Plus 205/50R17 if you are curious.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewf View Post
    It's interesting. Currently the tires I bought in Canada were way cheaper than the same set off Tirerack. So people from the US should be buying in Canada.

Tirerack is about $765 CAD + shipping (~$80) to a US address, whereas I got the same set in Canada for $650 (taxes, fees, and install included). Pirelli P7 Plus 205/50R17 if you are curious.
    Nice.
    When I bought my continental purecontacts in 2014 spring with the exchange rate (and I had it shipped close to the border at a warehouse, paid $5 for storage fee) I remember saving close to $150 altogether AFTER paying taxes (luckily the tires were made in Mexico so thanks to the NAFTA agreement, no duty to be paid at customs)

Banned

Some things cheaper in Canada than US

Hi, I agree that there are a lot of things cheaper in Canada than US. Actually, I do have a lot of friends and relatives who have migrated there and living for good! They are even encouraging me to visit their place soon.

What I found really surprising was the cost of bacon in Florida. It was $7.70 US for a 375g package of bacon!!!

Don't forget alcohol! It is way cheaper down south!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast