RESP tracking - couch potato investing - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: RESP tracking - couch potato investing

Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    I hadn't given it a ton of thought but I was planning on slowly transitioning (10% every 2-3 years) from an 80/20 equity/bond split to a 20/80 equity/bond split. I'm starting to wonder if that's a little reckless though, given that this account will likely be drained over a period of 4 years there's probably no good reason to be in equities when the kid is approaching college age...

Even VAB.to has dropped considerably in the past couple months... maybe GIC's would be more appropriate..hmm..

My returns shouldn't be anything special because I'm probably just going to use the CCP 3 fund portfolio off the start. I'm 80/20 equities/bonds in my personal portfolio and my returns were the same (within 5 basis points) of another poster who mentioned that he was 80/20 with a CCP portfolio in the "how did you do in 2016?" thread. This gives me confidence that I'm a) doin' it right and b) calculating returns correctly.
    This is a useful guide. It's what I plan to follow at least.

http://www.moneysense.ca/columns/tak...sk-in-an-resp/

January 2017 update

Commentary
    January carried on the consecutive win-streak to seven months, as the portfolio was up 0.28%.
    The month also saw a $500 deposit that was used to rebalance the portfolio, and pushed the account over five-digits/$10,000.

Toward the end of the month, the total asset gains were over $1,000, and were greater than the total CESGs received.
    However, the past couple of days saw most of the month's gains evaporate, lowering the total asset gains to just shy of $900.

Monthly results
    The portfolio this month: up 0.28% or $29.06

Complete RESP results
    The portfolio since inception (April 2015): up 9.31% or $884.57
    If I count the Canada Education Savings Grant [CESG] funds as an investment gain, the portfolio is: up 22.17% or $1,884.57

How much money is the RESP making each year based on my deposits and growth (aka the annualized money-weighted rate of return since inception): 7.91%
    How much money is the RESP making each year if I ignore the size of new deposits and treat them all equally (aka the annualized time-weighted rate of return since inception): 4.87%

The annual cost of the portfolio (i.e, the combined, embedded ETF management fee) is 0.24%, or $24.68

RESP_20170131.png
    Last edited by BoringInvestor; 2017-02-01 at 10:42 AM.
    Couch potato journey-Hidden Content .
    Child's RESP-Hidden Content .

February 2017 update

Commentary
    February was the 4th best month since the RESP started, and saw the positive gain streak stretch to eight months.
    The account was up 3.93%.

For the first time the investment gain in the account surpassed the amount of CESG received ($1,293 vs $1,000).

Monthly results
    The portfolio this month: up 3.93% or $408.42

Complete RESP results
    The portfolio since inception (April 2015) is: up 13.61% or $1,292.99
    If I count the Canada Education Savings Grant [CESG] funds as an investment gain, the portfolio is: up 26.98% or $2,292.99

How much money is the RESP making each year based on my deposits and growth (aka the annualized money-weighted rate of return since inception): 10.75%
    How much money is the RESP making each year if I ignore the size of new deposits and treat them all equally (aka the annualized time-weighted rate of return since inception): 6.83%

The annual cost of the portfolio (i.e, the combined, embedded ETF management fee) is 0.24%, or $25.77

RESP_20170228.png

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

March 2017 update

Commentary
    March marks the 24 month anniversary of the portfolio.
    Over the month there was a deposit and rebalance, and the overall balance of the portfolio pushed deeper into 5-figure territory.

Monthly results
    The portfolio this month: up 0.89% or $118.23

Complete RESP results
    The portfolio since inception (April 2015) is: up 11.76% or $1,411.22
    If I count the Canada Education Savings Grant [CESG] funds as an investment gain, the portfolio is: up 21.92% or $2,411.22

How much money is the RESP making each year based on my deposits and growth (aka the annualized money-weighted rate of return since inception): 11.76%
    How much money is the RESP making each year if I ignore the size of new deposits and treat them all equally (aka the annualized time-weighted rate of return since inception): 7.20%
    The annual cost of the portfolio (i.e, the combined, embedded ETF management fee) is 0.24%, or $31.84

RESP_20170331.png
    Last edited by BoringInvestor; 2017-06-01 at 11:47 AM.

April 2017 update

Commentary
    April was the sixth best month on a percentage basis, and set a new record for the highest dollar gain at nearly $500.

The RESP received the Canada Education Savings Grant which boosted the overall value by $500. Our family also qualified for, and the RESP received, another $50 in additional CESG funds.
    I don't expect we'll qualify for the additional CESG in future years, so our CESG cap moving forward should be $500.

Monthly results
    The portfolio this month: up 3.58% or $499.63

Complete RESP results
    The portfolio since inception (April 2015) is: up 15.23% or $1,910.85
    If I count the Canada Education Savings Grant [CESG] funds as an investment gain, the portfolio is: up 31.46% or $3,460.85

How much money is the RESP making each year based on my deposits and growth (aka the annualized money-weighted rate of return since inception): 13.60%
    How much money is the RESP making each year if I ignore the size of new deposits and treat them all equally (aka the annualized time-weighted rate of return since inception): 8.83%
    The annual cost of the portfolio (i.e, the combined, embedded ETF management fee) is 0.24%, or $33.10

RESP_20170430.png
    Last edited by BoringInvestor; 2017-06-01 at 11:47 AM.

May 2017 update

Commentary
    May was the 11th positive month in a row, with a slightly below average return of 0.42%.

Monthly results
    The portfolio this month: up 0.42% or $60.88

Complete RESP results
    The portfolio since inception (April 2015) is: up 15.71% or $1,9,71.73
    If I count the Canada Education Savings Grant [CESG] funds as an investment gain, the portfolio is: up 32.02% or $3,521.73

How much money is the RESP making each year based on my deposits and growth (aka the annualized money-weighted rate of return since inception): 12.95%
    How much money is the RESP making each year if I ignore the size of new deposits and treat them all equally (aka the annualized time-weighted rate of return since inception): 8.67%
    The annual cost of the portfolio (i.e, the combined, embedded ETF management fee) is 0.24%, or $33.32

RESP_20170531.png

Last edited by BoringInvestor; 2017-06-01 at 12:31 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567