RESP tracking - couch potato investing - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: RESP tracking - couch potato investing

September 2016 update

Commentary
    September's results were slightly positive, bringing the account to its highest ever end of month total.
    The account has seen three straight months of positive gains, tying it with the previously-held longest streak.

Both positions paid dividends in September, and an additional share of VXC was dripped.

Monthly results
    The portfolio this month: up 0.82% or $77.35

Complete RESP results
    The portfolio since inception (April 2015): up 6.06% or $545.20
    If I count the Canada Education Savings Grant [CESG] funds as an investment gain, the portfolio is: up 19.32% or $1,545.20

The annualized (money-weighted) investment rate of return is 6.79%

The annual cost of the portfolio (i.e, the combined, embedded ETF management fee) is 0.24%, or $22.53

You can log in to view the attachment below.

RESP_20160930.png

Last edited by BoringInvestor; 2016-10-03 at 09:26 AM.
    Couch potato journey-Hidden Content .
    Child's RESP-Hidden Content .

October 2016 update

Commentary
    October's result was very slightly positive.
    The past four months have seen consecutive positive returns which is the longest streak of gains since the account started.

Monthly results
    The portfolio this month: up 0.37% or $33.64

Complete RESP results
    The portfolio since inception (April 2015): up 6.45% or $580.84
    If I count the Canada Education Savings Grant [CESG] funds as an investment gain, the portfolio is: up 19.76% or $1,580.84

The annualized (money-weighted) investment rate of return is 6.63%

The annual cost of the portfolio (i.e, the combined, embedded ETF management fee) is 0.24%, or $22.61

RESP_20161031.png

November 2016 update

Commentary
    November's results remained positive, and was the 7th best month since the portfolio began.
    The 'win' streak for the portfolio is now at five consecutive months.

Note: as the CMF board settings have changed I can no longer edit the first post in this thread with historical data.
    As such, all my results will only be shared through these monthly updates.

Monthly results
    The portfolio this month: up 1.54% or $147.55

Complete RESP results
    The portfolio since inception (April 2015): up 8.09% or $728.39
    If I count the Canada Education Savings Grant [CESG] funds as an investment gain, the portfolio is: up 21.60% or $1,728.39

The annualized (money-weighted) investment rate of return is 7.64%

The annual cost of the portfolio (i.e, the combined, embedded ETF management fee) is 0.24%, or $22.94

RESP_20161130.png

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

December 2016 update

Commentary
    December was the sixth consecutive month with a gain, and the eight best month since the portfolio began.
    The total gains in my account ($855.51), are rapidly approaching the total amount of Canadian Education Savings Grant received ($1,000).

For the year the portfolio gained $820.91, which was a 9.09% increase.

Monthly results
    The portfolio this month: up 1.31% or $127.12.

Complete RESP results
    The portfolio since inception (April 2015): up 9.51% or $855.51
    If I count the Canada Education Savings Grant [CESG] funds as an investment gain, the portfolio is: up 23.19% or $1,855.51

The annualized (money-weighted) investment rate of return is 8.23%

The annual cost of the portfolio (i.e, the combined, embedded ETF management fee) is 0.24%, or $23.25

RESP_20161231.png

Hi BoringInvestor,

My son was born a few months ago and I'm trying to set up a spreadsheet for his RESP. I really like your dashboard. I was hoping you could give me some insight into how you run your returns calculations. Specifically - how you split the CESG and the regular contributions.

For reference - I use a heavily modified version of this spreadsheet for my personal accounts:

edit - post count not high enough to post links - google "bogglehead returns spreadsheet" and the link is one page down on the first hit if you're interested.

Anyway, all the calculations are performed based on 3 pieces of input per account per month: contributions, withdrawals, and account balance.

I'm curious if you run two series of calculations in parallel? One with the CESG and one without? You must also differentiate between CESG and regular contributions when putting in your monthly numbers as well? I've heard that the CESG comes in 1-2 months after the regular contributions - does this affect your calculations at all? Do you just record the CESG in the month that you receive it?

Any advice you'd be willing to give would be greatly appreciated. I scrubbed version of your RESP spreadsheet would be awesome - but I completely understand if you'd prefer not give it out.

Thank you!

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    Hi BoringInvestor,

My son was born a few months ago and I'm trying to set up a spreadsheet for his RESP. I really like your dashboard. I was hoping you could give me some insight into how you run your returns calculations. Specifically - how you split the CESG and the regular contributions.

For reference - I use a heavily modified version of this spreadsheet for my personal accounts:

edit - post count not high enough to post links - google "bogglehead returns spreadsheet" and the link is one page down on the first hit if you're interested.

Anyway, all the calculations are performed based on 3 pieces of input per account per month: contributions, withdrawals, and account balance.

I'm curious if you run two series of calculations in parallel? One with the CESG and one without? You must also differentiate between CESG and regular contributions when putting in your monthly numbers as well? I've heard that the CESG comes in 1-2 months after the regular contributions - does this affect your calculations at all? Do you just record the CESG in the month that you receive it?

Any advice you'd be willing to give would be greatly appreciated. I scrubbed version of your RESP spreadsheet would be awesome - but I completely understand if you'd prefer not give it out.

Thank you!

Jeremy
    Congrats on the birth of your son!

That Bogglehead spreadsheet is very pretty to look at, and seems easy to use.
    The one I use is a bit of a beast and requires frequent manual tweaking to update the chart.

I've included the screenshots below to show the layouts of my sheets.
    The one that calculates XIRR I grabbed from somewhere on the internet - I'm sorry I don't recall where. It works quite well as I only enter data into column C, D, and E.
    It treats all CESG deposits the same as 'regular' deposits and calculates money-weighted, and time-weighted returns from that data.

The other two sheets I created myself.
    The first records past results, asset allocation, and predict future values. I assume annual rates of 7% for equity, 3.5% for bonds, and 2% for GICs, and conservatively just calculate it against the starting year's balance. I update the yellow cells values manually. ETF MERs are shown just below these cells. I think everything else is pretty self explanatory on the sheet.

On the tracking sheet I record total returns both with, and without, the CESG.
    For example, looking at my typical monthly attachment, under the asset gain column (column T in the sheet, with yearly data starting on row 3) the calculation:
    - for 2015 is =SUM(S3/(P3+Q3))-1
    - for 2016 it's: =SUM(S4/(S3+P4+Q4))-1

For column U, the column market asset gain (inc. CESG), the calculations are:
    - for 2015 is =SUM(S3/P3)-1
    - for 2016 it's: =SUM(S4/(S3+P4))-1

For the returns section (bottom-left corner of my typical monthly attachment, with the data in column R, starting on row 32), the calculations are:
    - Total % return: =SUM(R28/SUM(R26:R27)) ..... aka it's dividing the total gains by the sum of the deposits and CESG received
    - Total % return if CESG are a gain: =SUM(R29/R26)-1 .... aka it's dividing the total from the amount I've deposited (which excludes the CESG).

The annualized money-weighted & time-weighted returns come directly from the other sheet, and include CESG deposits.

RESPXIRR.png

RESPYears.png

RESPTracking.jpg

Damn I had a big reply written out but I seem to have lost it. Note to self - copy contents of post to clipboard before hitting submit.

Long story short - you definitely got me thinking about how I can modify my own sheet to account for the CESG. I think it'll basically just involve adding another piece of monthly input (CESG recieved) and adding a column similar to your column U.

This is great - thanks again - and thanks for starting these threads. Your money diary is probably the one I follow closest

Ah, I know the feeling of losing those big posts - quite frustrating.

Thanks for the kind words.
    If you'd like feel free to share your own results too. I'm happy to have 'my' threads filled with other couch potatoes in hopes of inspiring more to follow suit.

What were you thinking re: asset breakdowns in the future?
    I plan to
    i) stay in equity ETFs for the first four years,
    ii) slowly shift over to bonds ETFs over the next eight years
    iii) stay in bonds for a year before moving from bonds to GICs over four years, then
    iv) sticking to GICs the last two years.

I hadn't given it a ton of thought but I was planning on slowly transitioning (10% every 2-3 years) from an 80/20 equity/bond split to a 20/80 equity/bond split. I'm starting to wonder if that's a little reckless though, given that this account will likely be drained over a period of 4 years there's probably no good reason to be in equities when the kid is approaching college age...

Even VAB.to has dropped considerably in the past couple months... maybe GIC's would be more appropriate..hmm..

My returns shouldn't be anything special because I'm probably just going to use the CCP 3 fund portfolio off the start. I'm 80/20 equities/bonds in my personal portfolio and my returns were the same (within 5 basis points) of another poster who mentioned that he was 80/20 with a CCP portfolio in the "how did you do in 2016?" thread. This gives me confidence that I'm a) doin' it right and b) calculating returns correctly.

I decided principal protection was the #1 priority when the funds are needed, so I, perhaps conservatively, am choosing to move fully into GICs a couple of years before the money's needed.
    Given not all the money will be needed on day 1, some of the funds can be invested in multi-year products, which I'm hoping will return a respectfully higher rate than a cashable or 1-year GIC.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast