RESP tracking - couch potato investing - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RESP tracking - couch potato investing

Quote Originally Posted by banjopete View Post
    Nobleaa we just opened one for our daughter with TD and grabbed this one time bonus as well and you're correct it's just money and not surprisingly we were told we couldn't add it to the TDW account our RESP is set up in and that it had to be in a simple account. We didn't hear anything about bond only but it seems our options were cash, or GIC's. A little sad but hey, free money is free money, even if it'll only buy her a hamburger 20 years from now.
    I checked a few weeks ago when doing the monthly contribution and sure enough the $500 AB bonus has been put in a term GIC that I can't do anything about. Maybe when it comes up for renewal.

June 2015 update

Commentary
    June was the second full month of the RESP.

The month saw the final 2015 deposit of $3,000.
    I intend to make the next deposit in January of 2016.

The final 2015 CESG payment should arrive in either July or August.

Results
    The portfolio fell -1.87% in June, lowering my overall gain to -1.63%, and lowering my overall annualized rate of return to -14.87%.
    If I count the CESG funds as an investment gain, the portfolio is up 3.28%.

Attachment 4882
    Last edited by BoringInvestor; 2015-07-13 at 12:39 PM.
    Couch potato journey-Hidden Content .
    Child's RESP-Hidden Content .

July 2015 update

Commentary
    July was the best month of the relatively short-lived RESP account.
    The positions grew by 4.88%, or $216.10.

July saw the final 2015 CESG payment of $300, and the first dividends were paid into the account.
    I'll rebalance the portfolio in August, then won't touch it again until the new year.

Results
    The portfolio rose 4.88% in July, raising my overall gain to 3.28%, and raising my overall annualized rate of return to 18.87%.
    If I count the CESG funds as an investment gain, the portfolio is up 16.19%.

You can log in to view the attachment below.

Attachment 5010
    Last edited by BoringInvestor; 2015-09-01 at 09:59 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

August 2015 update

Commentary
    August was the worst month of the relatively short-lived RESP account.
    The portfolio fell -5.92%, or -$275.10.

Results
    The portfolio fell -5.92% in August, lowering my overall gain to -2.84%, and lowering my overall annualized rate of return to -10.38%.
    If I count the Canada Education Savings Grant [CESG] funds as an investment gain, the portfolio is up 9.31%.

Attachment 5513
    Last edited by BoringInvestor; 2015-09-01 at 10:28 AM.

September 2015 update

Commentary
    September was the second worst month of the RESP account.
    Both positions declared dividends in September, and the dividends will be paid out in October.

Results
    The portfolio fell -2.79% in September, lowering my overall gain to -5.55%, and lowering my overall annualized rate of return to -15.27%.
    If I count the Canada Education Savings Grant [CESG] funds as an investment gain, the portfolio is up 6.26%.

Attachment 6185
    Last edited by BoringInvestor; 2016-01-28 at 04:44 PM.

October 2015 update

Commentary
    October was the best month ever for the RESP account, and the account is just shy of breaking even (i.e., being equal to my total deposits and the CESG payments).

Results
    The portfolio rose 5.10% in October, raising my overall gain to -0.73%, and raising my overall annualized rate of return to -1.71%.
    If I count the Canada Education Savings Grant [CESG] funds as an investment gain, the portfolio is up 11.68%.

Attachment 6801

November 2015 update

Commentary
    November saw the portfolio return to positive territory (rising 1.31% or $58.33), as my investments have recovered all the losses from a couple months back.

Results
    The portfolio rose 1.31% in November, raising my overall gain to 0.56%, and raising my overall annualized rate of return to 1.10%.
    If I count the Canada Education Savings Grant [CESG] funds as an investment gain, the portfolio is up 13.13%.

Attachment 7234
    Last edited by BoringInvestor; 2015-12-02 at 04:20 PM.

December 2015 update

Commentary
    December saw a small monthly gain, for the third straight month of gains, and ends the first calendar year of the portfolio.
    The plan in 2016 is to stick to a 100% equity allocation. Initially I was planning to put $4,000 into the account this year; as I won't be making any new deposits until June, I may end up altering that target as the year progresses.

Results
    The portfolio rose 0.20% in December, raising my overall gain to 0.77%, or $34.60, and raising my overall annualized rate of return to 1.30%.
    If I count the Canada Education Savings Grant [CESG] funds as an investment gain, the portfolio is up 13.37%.

Attachment 7666

@BoringInvestor: Been following this thread for a while (even though this is my first official post on CMF). My wife is pregnant and I'm trying to piece together an RESP plan based on index investing. Seeing as how you're a fan of CanadianCouch potato, I'm curious as to why you chose to start reducing your equity allotment when your child is 4 years old, instead of 8 years old, as suggested in this blog post on CCP: http://canadiancouchpotato.com/2010/...sk-in-an-resp/

I'm having trouble deciding between the CCP RESP asset allocation (as outlined in the link I posted) versus following your allotment of gradually reducing equity into bonds, and then your child reaches high school, to transfer everything to fixed income (or GICs) during their post-secondary years. Both seem like great strategies, but I'm just curious why you chose to dial down risk more than CCP.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks!

@BoringInvestor: One more quick question.... Using your strategy, what rate of return do you expect or hope to get after the 18th year?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast