Tip for Enterprise rental cars
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tip for Enterprise rental cars

Super Moderator

Tip for Enterprise rental cars

I rent cars in many cities, and prefer Enterprise because they seem to have the best overall operation (and professionalism). I strongly recommend signing up for the Enterprise points program.

Here's a strategy for reducing your rental costs. I've done this in both the US and Canada.

Well in advance of your (potential) rental date, log into the web site using your Plus account and make a booking. You don't have to pay in advance for the booking, but it locks in a rate.

Then, as your trip approaches, go back to Enterprise and pull up a quote for the same day. Their rates fluctuate daily and you will often find a lower rate. When that happens, I make a second booking. Then I go back and cancel the earlier booking. Sometimes your initial reservation was the best rate, in which case you just keep that. Make sure you cancel any duplicate bookings you are holding!

The beauty of this approach is you can keep locking in lower rates, if you find them, for the identical reservation. I just used this in Toronto to bring my daily rate from $50 down to $33

Interesting strategy. Was this for a peak period rental time? Usually when I rent a vehicle over the Christmas holidays I find the closer to the rental period the greater the chance all vehicles will be taken. I do find Enterprise to be one of the best rental companies around. They seem to have a higher level of professionalism. I was told about 75% of their rentals are either corporate or insurance claims (ie. someone renting while their damaged vehicle is getting repaired)
    Hidden Content - Saving, Investing & Frugal Living

I too have been pretty happy with Enterprise, but I actually prefer Hertz. I have a really good rapport with the company and they treat me well!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I find booking through costco gives the best car rental rates (includes enterprise)

+1 for booking through Costco.

As well, make sure to sign up for the enterprise points program (free), it allows you to use their priority line which is great after a long flight.
    Hidden Content - Follow my journey to one million in net worth..

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OurBigFatWallet View Post
    Interesting strategy. Was this for a peak period rental time?
    I've used this strategy at both peak and non-peak. I think their rates just fluctuate all the time, so this is a method to grab the lowest price among those fluctuations.

I haven't tried renting through Costco, since I don't have a membership.

A friend of mine frequently rents through Priceline bids but I don't like that method due to non-refundability. I frequently reserve cars and then cancel them later on.

Another +1 for Enterprise.
    I have their points card and been renting through them for years.
    I have also observed the rate volatility that james4beach is talking about.
    They are also quite flexible with your pick up & drop off time, such as if you return 1 hr. late, they won't charge for an extra day.
    Some other rental agencies can be quite rigid about that, esp if you booked through Priceline.

Been doing the same thing, for years. I too lean towards enterprise (sometimes budget) for best prices. yes you can also book thru costco sometimes for an even better rate. I have found though, that the further out you start booking, the better the rate. As you get closer to your rental dates, rates seem to go up. ( booked last time in May in florida for 10 days, and TOTAL cost -all-in- worked out to little over $20US/day, which i thought was not bad?) also, should mention that enterprise does not charge for a 2nd driver, some rental companies do. And I've found their pick-up / drop-ff service very quick!

Super Moderator
    20 USD/day? Wow, that's lower than I'm getting in the US.

I hate to plug Enterprise too much but they've really treated me well over the years including with respect to damage.

I've had two accidents over that time, causing damage to the rental car (neither of them my fault). In one of them, a motorist ran into my PARKED car in broad daylight, smashing up the side, and caused thousands$ in damage. The other one was minor damage to the paint in a parking lot.

The minor damage incident they just "absorbed"... not sure exactly how... but it did not require any insurance claim or payment. I also saw that happen with Avis once (in Australia) with a flat tire, and they never bothered charging me $50 or whatever was supposed to be the tire repair fee. So I guess the message is that minor damage with rental cars can be no biggie.

The major damage scared me but it worked out beautifully. I had rented it using my CIBC Platinum Visa (which includes rental car collision insurance). I did of course open an insurance claim through the credit card's insurance dept, and file the Enterprise damage report, but from that point onwards Enterprise coordinated directly with the insurer. I didn't have to do anything else and it was amazing how the two of them took care of it.

Use a credit card that has collision/loss damage insurance on it.

Another big thumbs up for Costco. I just finished booking a full size car in Winnipeg airport for 4 days- $55 all in thru Alamo. Was under $10 per day before tax.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast