Tip for Enterprise rental cars - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tip for Enterprise rental cars

Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    I hate to plug Enterprise too much but they've really treated me well over the years including with respect to damage.
    I have booked an Enterprise rental car for a brief trip in Europe - I have a VISA card "Infinite" card that using to pay for it. I would expect the same insurance coverage in Europe than in North America? I'm debating whether to buy their insurance - I find driving in France stressful!

I just did more research on renting a car on line for an upcoming trip.
    I was on Facebook, and I took a "promotion code" off of a "Budget Rent-a car" pop-up screen and plugged the code into the Budget rent-a-car on-line reservation.
    The code, presumably, gave me a car rental from budget for 16 days for $480 cdn. pick-up and drop off at the airport.
    The best I could do with enterprise was $1100 for the same period.
    You can find some of these promotional codes at this website https://www.groupon.com/coupons/stores/budget.com
    Perhaps it's "one-off", but managing to save over $500 is huge!
    Last edited by dubmac; 2015-08-04 at 03:38 PM.

Ok, stupid question of the day. How does one "book through Costco" to rent cars?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the tip on Costco for car rentals. I have liked Enterprise in the past but have never booked through Costco so will give that a try next Florida trip.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. DC

Booking early plays a huge role. I just finished renting a standard car for a week for $167 + tx for a total of $205. It was great. Brand new car, I put 2000km on it in a week and a good portion of that on dirt roads. Car has satellite radio, backup camera, and mp3 hookup. After I finished my trip I thought I should book one for christmas. Through costco, I booked a full size car at christmas for a stunning $105 for a week for a total of around $150. I wasn't sure if I wanted a car for one or two weeks so I just booked another one for 2 weeks at $300. I'll cancel on in a couple months once my plans firm up.

Honestly, I'm gobsmacked at those prices. I have a card that covers collision and 3rd party is covered in BC. Anyway, cheap car rental like this are 80% of the reason I don't buy a car.

Wow those are some incredible prices. Good job!

I agree, I also find it very hard to plonk down the money to buy a car. The rentals are so cheap, and it's great to return the depreciating asset to the owner and walk away from it. Plus it's fun to drive different types of cars, most of them practically new. Of course if I lived somewhere like Winnipeg that required a car, I would absolutely buy one (used).

I book a lot of rental cars and do find the Costco site usually has great deals. I used to be very pro Enterprise but my new favourite is Alamo. I love the Kiosks and getting to walk out and choose whatever vehicle I want from the category I have booked. For example just had a full size car booked for a week and one of the choices was a brand new Chrysler 300s sedan, fully loaded and under 1,000 miles. Cost for a week (out of Fort Myers airport) was $135 inc taxes. Trip before that I got a new Yukon XL with only 600 miles on it. 5 days out of Fort Lauderdale was under $150.
    XIC, VTI, XEF, XSB/VAB/GIC LADDER (+ HISA for cash)

Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    Wow those are some incredible prices. Good job!

I agree, I also find it very hard to plonk down the money to buy a car. The rentals are so cheap, and it's great to return the depreciating asset to the owner and walk away from it. Plus it's fun to drive different types of cars, most of them practically new. Of course if I lived somewhere like Winnipeg that required a car, I would absolutely buy one (used).
    It is kind of fun but it can get a bit confusing. Last car was a buik and it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to open the gas. I was looking all round for an unlock button and it was a simple push on the actual gas door. Also a weird thing was the open trunk button on in the upper left of the stereo - how weird is that? Plus the auto climate control sucked.

My last car was an audi so all of these low-end rentals are pretty blurg. Kind of fun though.

Car co-op and car rentals instead of buying a car. That's what fills up my TFSA.

For car rental in USA I use priceline "Name Your Own Price". I start off checking their regular rental rates (not the Name Your Own Price) to get a rough idea of the cost. Then I make with a low ball bid. If I get refused I increase my bid. In the past priceline would only allow one bid per day. I would give myself a week of bidding to overcome the lockout. Lately their site recognizes my low ball offer strategy and offers me a decent rate somewhere in the middle. It is a non refundable booking.

Here is a description from their site:

You can save so much money with priceline rental cars because you get to use priceline's Name Your Own Price ® service. The price you name is per rental day and does not include priceline's charge to you for taxes and service fees. We will calculate this additional charge and provide you a summary of your "Total Charges" on your contract page before you submit a request. Your credit card will be charged if, and only if, your offer is accepted by priceline. "

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast