Travel Hacking - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travel Hacking

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    If you sign up for the TD aeroplan infinite card through the link on Great Canadian Rebates, you get 15,000pts for sign up, then 10,000 when you spend $1000, no annual fee for the first year, AND a $50 cash back reward from Great Canadian Rebates. Just cancel it before the first year is up. There's usually one card that offers this signup deal every year, so you cycle through them and between you and your spouse, that's one free trip within north america every year.
    Sometimes they have referral bonuses too, so you sign up first, then refer your spouse.
    Last year it was the AMEX aeroplan platinum.

Great Canadian Rebates has some decent rebates for travel websites. Priceline, travelocity and expedia are on there. It's usually a cash rebate of 1-4%.
    Good tip nobleea, thanks.

XIC, VTI, XEF, XSB/VAB/GIC LADDER (+ HISA for cash)

Thanks for the tip. Just signed up. DW signed up on her own account. We can use the 50K points.

25K points almost gets two of us from Calgary-Ft. McMurray. Those short hops are often the same price as going flying to Toronto.
    Last edited by fraser; 2015-05-02 at 04:36 PM.

Another thumbs up for Costco with respect to car rentals.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Just curious as to why some of you are getting out of Aeroplan? I was considering signing up for the Amex Gold card to get the 25,000 point bonus. Is it a hassle to redeem Aeroplan points?

Here's a question: Is there a way to have a Amazon.com for example? I'm heading to portland and it would be nice to just have the stuff I wanted there when I arrive rather than running around trying to buy stuff.

Thanks.

We have two issues with Aeroplan. The first is that it is extremely difficult to get business class seats.

But the biggie is cost. 'Free' Aeroplan seats, 60,000 points, to let's say LHR actually cost $650. Not an Aeroplan issue, an AC issue. We used to select Lufthansa flights because they did not charge the extra $250-275 each way. That has been blocked. You can still book on United without paying this but I am told that AC is working to close this option. If we did a similar trip, on Delta or United points, we would pay under $100. Last fall we flew on points from Calgary-Vienna. By selecting United/Continental routing through Chicago vs AC through Toronto we saved $275. each in Aeroplan fees.

So, why would I use Aeroplan points to LHR if it costs $650. plus 60,000 Aeroplan points when I can buy a return ticket on Transat for just under $1000?

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieGal View Post
    Just curious as to why some of you are getting out of Aeroplan? I was considering signing up for the Amex Gold card to get the 25,000 point bonus. Is it a hassle to redeem Aeroplan points?
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Within north america you can usually get the flights you want if you book far enough in advance. And the fees are not bad. I think we paid $330 to fly 2 people and an infant to maui. I've never used the points for intercontinental flights (wouldn't consider hawaii intercontinent). I think the best value is short and long haul within north america.

To put this in perspective, if you were booking the same travel to Hawaii on the Delta or United rewards program you would probably not pay more than $30. per person in fees-if that.

We have a friend in White Rock who only uses his Aeroplan or his Delta plan when he flies out of SeaTac. His last was a one way Fort Lauderdale to Seattle. The fee was $5.

I have no issue with the security and navcan fees but I resent the add on fees that AC adds.
    Last edited by fraser; 2015-05-04 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by none View Post
    Here's a question: Is there a way to have a Amazon.com for example? I'm heading to portland and it would be nice to just have the stuff I wanted there when I arrive rather than running around trying to buy stuff.

Thanks.
    I travel frequently to the U.S. so I have things delivered to the hotel at which I am staying ahead of my arrival. I've never had an issue with the nice hotel staff holding something for me, but I do inform them so it's not a surprise. And I don't stay at expensive hotels either.

We use a combination of AirBnB and Couchsurfing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast