Retirement Travel - Truck and RV Trailer - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement Travel - Truck and RV Trailer

And spending your money for a lifestyle/pursuit in retirement that makes you happy is as important as the cost. This thread is good in poviding pros & cons on both the cost and lifestyle implications. Flipping the coin over and over this way will help some of us land on a plan we'll be happy with - Thanks for that!
    Got to admit, the hotel bed horror stories give me second thought, but that would be a small subset of our nights, and we've traveled/hoteled extensively and only ever had 1 dump. When it comes to specific accomodation and good food, things like TripAdvisor, Thorntree and Google streetview provide a pretty good source of pros/cons. It was not that long ago that you bascially had to cross your fingers and book.

AVREX, some great points on this and some stuff taking it a little off track too. Ultimately though I agree its more than an economic decision; its lifestyle too and all about what you and your spouse want. Sometimes people on this forum people can get obsessed over costs/issues without considering much what others can afford themselves, or that others spending and/or lifestyle priorities are very different from theirs.

Based on what you're posting it sounds like you're a good candidate for what you're planning for stage 1. To me if you can test it out with rentals or even continue to tent and associate with a lot with people who have gone through years of RV's/trailers you'll have a lot more knowledge to base your decision on. Joining an RV online forum is going to give you a lot of insight into the lifestyle, what to look for and avoid so when you're ready you'll be better prepared.

Good luck
    Last edited by RBull; 2015-03-11 at 12:19 PM.

Eder, have you come across Holtville on your travels? Specifically, the BLM Hot Springs there.

There are no hook ups so you need a generator or solar power and you have to drive into town for a pump-out but the great attraction besides the BLM prices is the hot springs. As any RVer knows who has ever boondocked, hot water is an issue. Not at this place.
    http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/elcen...hotspring.html

https://www.google.ca/search?q=holtv...0CCUQsAQ&dpr=1

It gets a lot of winter visitors and many of them are regular visitors. My Brother spent a month or so there for 2 winters running and I visited him there one time. As many hot showers as you want courtesty of the springs. Here is a blog on it. http://geosuzie.blogspot.ca/2014/01/...t-springs.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

We have driven past the hot springs many times but have yet to drop in...looks like I should, clothing optional might scare us away though.

At any rate one thing missing in this thread is that after you grow tired of your rv you can easily sell it, and if you bought one used and good quality you may break even...try that with your airline tickets and Motel 6 receipts.

In my case my motor home is now worth what I paid for it as I bought it new in the US five years ago when our dollar was at par. If you want your significant other to enjoy rving as much as you you should let her decide what style/type /floorplan etc of rv she is willing to rough it in otherwise it will be a short lived adventure....happy wife happy life definitely rings true in rvs and sailboats.

My wife's relatives retired recently and bought an RV. I think it's a 36' model with a diesel pusher. They bought it used, i think it was 3yrs old. 50K. They tow a base model ford fiesta behind it which gets them wherever they want to go. They've been up and down the west coast (Van to san diego) a couple of times and spend summers putzing around BC and WA in it.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    My wife's relatives retired recently and bought an RV. I think it's a 36' model with a diesel pusher. They bought it used, i think it was 3yrs old. 50K. They tow a base model ford fiesta behind it which gets them wherever they want to go. They've been up and down the west coast (Van to san diego) a couple of times and spend summers putzing around BC and WA in it.
    Now that IS RVing at it's finest, even if these diesel pushers cost over 100K today for a new one. Once I saw some Americans pull in with these for an overnight stay in my (former) campground.

Watched as the driver got out, hooked up the water lines and electricity, adjusted the satellite dish, and operated the self leveling stabilizers on the RV..that was all they had to do and then they sat out enjoying the lake view and a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    If your specs and year are correct they stole that. $100K would be cheap. New is 200K+ range.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPro View Post
    The point being, you do not need to cost justify everything you do. If you can afford to do it, that is the ONLY justification you need for doing it. If avrex can afford to spend $80k on a rig then that's his choice. Nothing wrong with suggesting he could do it for less but less is not a reason for him to not do it if he chooses to.
    It is a lifestyle choice like any other.. but downsizing is not just all about saving money either. Many seem to buy the biggest motorbike, truck, house etc etc because they can afford it and it's their life. I feel that this is often driven more by marketing, salespeople, consumerism, status etc as it is by lifestyle and personal preference. A huge RV can significantly limit your travel options, as does a huge motorbike. If you spend more on the vehicle, you have less to spend on the actual trip... or have to work longer (retire later, less time to travel!) etc etc

I've had a gf for awhile now, so I thought I could afford to relax a bit and just enjoy life. Well that extra bit of weight has to go everywhere I go and has more downsides than I expected Yea sure I can afford the extra food.. but there are far more disadvantages besides the cost. I feel like people don't realize how many side benefits their are to downsizing. Go with the smallest you can live with (likely smaller than you think) rather than the biggest vehicle you can afford.. It's much easier to upgrade than to downgrade later on (same with your diet!)
    amat victoria curam

Quote Originally Posted by RBull View Post
    If your specs and year are correct they stole that. $100K would be cheap. New is 200K+ range.
    I think 400 is low end....600-800 gets nice unit....2 mill for the best. ( buy used 10 years old...50 k gets a decent condo on wheels)

M3s... I met 2 people in Loretto BCS...they were each on a unicycle to Argentina...they started in Montreal...I guess that is downsized enough!
    Last edited by Eder; 2015-03-11 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eder View Post
    M3s... I met 2 people in Loretto BCS...they were each on a unicycle to Argentina...they started in Montreal...I guess that is downsized enough!
    I think a bicycle would be a pretty sweet way to travel south. But too inconvenient for me. If only there was a friendly powerful animal would carry people wherever they wanted.

amat victoria curam

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast