Retirement Travel - Truck and RV Trailer - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement Travel - Truck and RV Trailer

We also considered a Taco with a Four Wheel alum pop-up camper to provide more portability to more remote locals. We don't think the RV trailer park scene is for us (never tried it though) and I really don't like towing a trailer. Truck camper is cramped obviously but our rationale was that it is pretty well 'only a place to sleep'. Then we realized that having a truck camper as the primary vehicle for toodling about out of the campground was not ideal.
    We're planning to begin some touring this year and as noted earlier, will try a combo of 'rent-for-a-month', hotel/B&B, and will even travel prepared for a bit of tent camping if conditions are favourable. This before committing to an expensive 'carry-your-house with you' solution. As noted, we can pay for a fair bit of accommodation with the cost we'd have tied up in a rig. And importantly for us, we'll have maximum flexibility. "I could go east, I could go west."

swiss-born Emil & Liliana Schmid left home to travel the world in their SUV 31 years ago. They're a world record, i'm not sure whether for years on the road or for distance travelled, possibly for both.

they always drove the same vehicle. Reportedly a toyota, although some accounts say it was a mercedes. The story goes Emil took more than 50,000 unpublished photographs, many of them extraordinary although at the time no one ever saw them. He passed away recently. The world then discovered the photographs.

already in her 70s, Liliana kept on driving, alone. Same vehicle, goes the story.

http://www.digidrift.com/travel-emil...ecord-journey/

Yes Only, even a truck camper can get shook up a lot depending on where you take it.

My wife and I have done some real off-roading in our SUV and I can tell you I wouldn't want to try it with a truck camper waving from side to side as you go over a boulder. Everything has it's pluses and minuses.

If your wife is game to consider camping, what about this as a possible solution.
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=car+t...g&ved=0CDEQsAQ

This line looks simple and runs around $3-4k.
    http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/columbus.php

True nomads indeed humble.
    Last edited by OldPro; 2015-03-08 at 02:45 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I don't stay in "trailer parks" .

At present I am camping on the beach just north of Los Barilles Baja Sur. We made it down the Baja fine even though Odile beat the crap out of some spots (many with fifth wheels are down here as well). Since December we have stayed on the ocean at Mulege, San Quentin, Silver Strand State Park in San Diego, Carlsbad State Park, a high end shangi la in Las Vegas and on the other ocean in Marathon, Florida, and many many more pristine spots in between...so much for the theory of having to find a trailer park & squat in some desert for the winter. We usually move every 3-7 days. Over the years we've been coast to coast 3 times, almost every State in the US, Mexico...next season we are planning a trip as far as Panama...it beats putting up with bad food/service/bedbugs etc ...try a black light on your sheets in your next hotel room!

I was going to explain how mistaken most comment was going on this thread, but this post is getting to be a novel so I'll leave it like this. I hope you have fun Avrex,I'm sure you will love it.
    Last edited by Eder; 2015-03-08 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by humble_pie View Post
    swiss-born Emil & Liliana Schmid left home to travel the world in their SUV 31 years ago.
    For a second I thought you were speaking of Gunther & Christine Holtorf who left Germany in a Mercedes G Wagon after the fall of the Berlin wall. Their stories are almost identical! I'm sure they must have crossed paths at some point as many travelers do. I think Gunther & Chrstine may have actually topped their world records though. They allegedly surpassed 800,000 kms and mentioned several countries not on the world record list. Gunther & Christine even got their truck into North Korea! It's a lot easier to travel the Balkans now but we can only hope that MENA will be safe again.

A diesel Land Cruiser or G Wagon is really the biggest vehicle you need. They will go more places and much further than those white plastic things bumbling around looking for the next RV parking lot. What are people carrying in those!? Motorbikes are even better. They go even more places while burning even less gas and parts. Even better than a motorcycle is a bicycle! Less is more really. I thought I started out pretty minimal but with every trip I take less and less stuff. It's cheaper and far more enjoyable to just buy local than to lug everything with you from home.
    Last edited by m3s; 2015-03-08 at 03:20 PM.
    amat victoria curam

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by m3s View Post
    Motorbikes are even better.
    Like taking an R1 around the world

Quote Originally Posted by OldPro View Post
    Yes Only, even a truck camper can get shook up a lot depending on where you take it. My wife and I have done some real off-roading in our SUV and I can tell you I wouldn't want to try it with a truck camper waving from side to side as you go over a boulder.
    That's why we were looking at the 4wheel pop-up camper. Closed, its CogG is low and they are supposed to be able to handle tough conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPro View Post
    If your wife is game to consider camping, what about this as a possible solution.
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=car+t...g&ved=0CDEQsAQ
    This line looks simple and runs around $3-4k.
    http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/columbus.php
    Good suggestion as an alternative to a tent. We're actually considering these - quick to put up, take up no cargo space, etc. I actually used one way back in 1972 on the roof of a Datsun 510 for a summer of 'go west young man' (now that was a good summer). I looked and was surprised they are still around as we don't see them on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Eder View Post
    Since December we have stayed on the ocean at Mulege, San Quentin, Silver Strand State Park in San Diego, Carlsbad State Park, a high end shangi la in Las Vegas and on the other ocean in Marathon, Florida, and many many more pristine spots in between...so much for the theory of having to find a trailer park & squat in some desert for the winter. We usually move every 3-7 days. Over the years we've been coast to coast 3 times, almost every State in the US, Mexico...next season we are planning a trip as far as Panama...it beats putting up with bad food/service/bedbugs etc
    @Eder, what you describe sounds great. That's the type of travel/retirement that I'm looking for. Thanks for your comments.
    Hidden Content - Investing towards Financial Independence

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    Looking only at the costs you've set out, I think this is probably the case. If instead of the truck and RV you bought a $30,000 car, your annual depreciation would be $3,000 instead of $8,000, leaving you $8,000 to spend on accommodations instead of $3,000.
    This would give you $90/day to spend on motels and B and Bs.
    +1 ^^^^

The gas alone for a truck pulling an RV 18 to 20ft trailer will cost that much per day. If enroute, you encounter some steep interstate hills as in the southern or eastern US..the truck will be pulling in lower gears, and from owning a truck and pulling a small trailer, I know from experience that the truck will be switching from overdrive (which is what saves the gas on these trucks), to lower gears a LOT, which will cost $$$
    more in terms of fuel consumption.

Looking beyond that, you would spend a lot more on gas with the RV, and even just driving the truck for the other 9 months of the year. On the other hand, the RV allows you to save on meals since you can prepare your own and eat in restaurants less.

The RV would be inconvenient for visiting cities where trailers parks may be far out of town or not exist.
    Have to agree The cost of the truck, the gas it consumes, and trucks today even with better fuel economy are STILL GAS hogs.

Pulling a light 20ft house trailer (as in the picture above) produces considerable drag on the truck, so the fuel economy while the trailer is attached goes down to 6 to 10mpg . Maybe in the US where gas is cheaper it may still work out economically, but the USA just like Canada is a BIG country and there is a LOT of open road/interstate to get to point A or B.

The RV does allow you to sleep inside. prepare meals and relax after a long days journey, but you still need to find a camp ground along the way to be able to park it for a night, or two or even a few days if you happen to like the place.

In the winter months, you have to drive pretty much all the way down to the southern states to avoid freezeup in the trailer plumbing and toilet..frozen pipes there can be very expensive, so that means. either you start your trip in mid November before the snowstorms and cold weather hits the Canadian-US border states, or you will have to drain the lines/toilet and holding tank and head down south where the temps don't go down much below 0C at night... BEFORE you can use the trailer plumbing again.

So that means $$$ for motels and restaurant meals for 2 or 3 days, until you get to warmer latitudes where
    overnight freeze up on the water lines/toilet inside is no longer an issue.

That means 3 or 4 nights in a motel in any case, depending on which way down to the US you are going (Arizona or Florida).

Now the costs...spending $40K on a truck and $40k on a RV trailer that you may only use for 2 or 3 trips down to the US doesn't make economic sense to me. You can find a nice used travel trailer (around 5 years old or so) that is capable of doing those kind of long mileage trips, and the only thing you will have to replace is the tires (4 trailer tires x $100 each) every 20,000 to 30,000km.

You do not want to travel month after month or year after year on questionable trailer tires..one tire with a blowout can make the trailer sway and you could lose control...serious trouble!
    Trailer tires are a high maintenance item along with axle bearings due to the weight of the trailer and the mileage it will be subjected to.

It may very well that after the first LONG Distance initial trip, it's better just to park the trailer long term in an area that has all the amenities, and then do day trips with the truck from the camp ground.
    Last edited by carverman; 2015-03-11 at 01:59 AM.

Let's not lose sight of what it is avrex wants to do. That is what matters here, not just cost.

Frankly, I don't think anyone can justify an RV rig of any kind based on cost alone and conversely, I don't think anyone can rule it out based on cost alone. If you are willing to drive a compact car and stay in the lowest cost Motel 6 etc. type accommodation while eating at MickeyD's or the like, chances are a car and motels will be cheaper than any RV over the long term. BUT, there are a whole lot of other factors that should be taken into consideration. To suggest that one way is better than another way based on one factor alone is a very poor way to make any decision.

What avrex is looking for is the best answer for them, not the best answer for any of us. For example, Eder has indicated they are very happy with their motorhome and tow vehicle. I can accept that. OnlyMyOpinion has rejected the idea of a motorhome, trailer or even truck camper, for various reasons. I can accept that just as easily as I can accept Eder's choice. This is not a case of there being one right answer. Avrex is not asking for the one right answer for everyone, he is looking for the right answer for them.

So while it think it is a good thing to point out all the pros and cons of each choice, the objective here should be to help avrex make a decision, not push one answer to the exclusion of all others. Some questions do have a RIGHT answer, but not all questions do.

As for cost, well I am always reminded of a guy who sat down next to me in a bar some years ago. He wondered who was driving the little classic convertible sports car parked outside. As it happened, it was mine and so I said I was driving it and it was my everyday 'ride'. He then asked, 'why are you driving a car like that as an everyday ride?' Before I could answer, the person sitting next to my other side in the bar answered him with, 'because he can'.

The point being, you do not need to cost justify everything you do. If you can afford to do it, that is the ONLY justification you need for doing it. If avrex can afford to spend $80k on a rig then that's his choice. Nothing wrong with suggesting he could do it for less but less is not a reason for him to not do it if he chooses to.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast