Canadian Money Forum banner

Retirement Travel - Truck and RV Trailer

31K views 52 replies 19 participants last post by  avrex 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm not retired yet, but I'm picturing my first phase of retirement.
In this first phase of retirement (say the first 10 years) I want to be active and travel and discover different places.

Perhaps spend time in the US Southwest (Arizona, Utah, Texas, for hiking and cycling) and some time in Florida (for some slower activities, like golfing and beach time).

I'm thinking, one of the best (and cheapest) ways to accomplish this is with a truck and RV trailer.

Let's do a calculation.
The cost of a new truck, $40k. The cost of a new RV trailer, $40k.
Let's say, that I utilize both of these items for 10 years. In other words, after 10 years, I'm older and I've become tired of this lifestyle and want to slow down. We'll also assume the cost of these two items depreciate to zero after 10 years. Therefore, my cost is $8k per year.

Let's say, I want to spend 3 months per year in the USA. RV park costs depend on the individual park and the length of stay. It could cost anywhere from 500-1500 per month. Let's use $1000 per month as an average. Therefore, the 3 months accommodation charges would be $3k.

In total, my 3 month costs would be (8k+3k) $11,000 per year.

This truck/RV combo means I don't have to fly to my destination. I don't have to rent a car for 3 months. I don't have to pay for further accommodations. I can prepare cheaper, healthier meals, in my trailer. The truck gives me the freedom to set my trailer down in an RV park and continue on day tours. The trailer could stay in the park for a day, week or month. I'm free to go wherever and whenever I want.

Also, I could continue to use the truck as my main vehicle for the rest of the year in Canada.

All in all, I think this is a reasonable cost, for this kind of freedom and lifestyle.

Any current retirees do this? and can comment on this lifestyle?
thanks.

See less See more
#48 ·
We have traveled on a motorcycle. Only made 3 trips so far but as my last day of work is Saturday I hope for many more. I bought the biggest bike I could (2009 Victory Vision) as I am large (fat) and the DW and I travel together. The big bike is the only one with the carrying capacity that I need. The Goldwing, for all its size, has a small payload. In addition the big bikes are comfortable and we have put some long days in. The cruise control, sound system and heated seats are nice. We don't camp, we just start looking for a reasonable motel near a restaurant. After a long day a tub is nice. Currently it works for us but we will re-evaluate in a few years.

In addition we have a boat that we can take extended cruises.

#49 ·
I did not review your projected costs but we have done lots of camping with our children in tents, tent trailers, trailers, etc. After retirement we settled on a GM 3/4T 4x4 6 litre PU and a 19 ft trailer. Both suited our needs at the time (2003) and continue to do so. Now, the truck is a gas guzzler at about 11 mpg; however, we did not use it a lot and initially went south to Utah and area for sightseeing and hiking in those great state parks they have. Often travelled with another couple. Also made a trip to Alaska and still take it fishing for a week or 2 a year. Unfortunately my better half prefers motels whereas I prefer the trailer. I really like the size of our trailer which cost $23,000. (your 40,000. seems high). I find it easier to find a spot to park the trailer as opposed to looking for a motel where you don't know who slept in the bed last. Also, I like the convenience of making your own meals realizing of course you still have the option of going out. Now, while we still use the trailer a bit it (and the truck) is used by one of our children and their children for a couple of weeks every year. Also, while the truck is a gas guzzler, it isn't used much and is a 2003 with only 130,000 kms and hopefully it will last another 5 yrs. I also use the truck for off-roading huning and fishing and carrying an old camper I have for doing same. I tow a utility trailer for my ATV.
Unfortunately there is no on particular RV unit that will do everything thus the reason I have an old camper which I paid $800.00 for and have had it for about 6 years. Of course the truck is useful for lots of other things and and also serves as a second vehicle.
Full time RVing is not for us as we enjoy our large yard and garden and have many other activities here at home. Overal, I think the truck and trailer (suggest 22 ft with an island queen bed) is the way to go and I think you are on the right track here. I never really worried about the cost but suggest the capital costs you suggest could be high and the life expectancy of the vehicles is really quite long, particularly in our case. Go for it and enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.