Could I be doing more?
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could I be doing more?

Could I be doing more?

I x

Last edited by showmethemoney45; 2015-03-14 at 03:50 PM.

Is that rental property income gross or net? If it's gross, that's really a bad number for 2M worth of real estate.

Net rental income!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by showmethemoney45 View Post
    Net rental income!
    Better, but that's still a cap rate of between 1-2.5%, which is extremely low. Investors might want 4-5% or more.
    You could sell the rentals and with your equity (600K) buy an REIT and pull in the same net income with no work.

Hi showmethemoney45,

Presently, your family has a yearly income in excess of >300k gross, you have net assets ~1.5 million, and you're both 'only' 34.
    That all seems pretty great so far.

You're asking about passive income, presumably through investing, so tell us:

- over the recent past, how much are you savings each month and putting towards your TFSAs/RRSPs/DRIP stocks, and
    - what are the actual securities held in your TFSAs & RRSPs and what do you consider to be DRIP stocks (I presume these are held in a non-registered account)?
    Couch potato journey-Hidden Content .
    Child's RESP-Hidden Content .

Why do you have 95K in savings and 5K in stocks, but only 5K in TFSA? It looks like you have taxable investments without having taken full advantage of the tax shelter? Also, at 155K in RRSPs, have you maxed those out?

I agree on the REITs. Mine are paying 6-8 percent, and they don't phone me at 11 pm to say the washing machine is broken.

TFSA is held in cash-(yes I know this is bad)
    RRSP's (don't know-I'm with Sunlife and doing a medium risk stew of sorts that they pick)
    DRIP's I've been putting only $250/month sort of for fun as my skill level is so low.

I was just on mat leave so that slowed us down for the last year and a half.

Currently we are putting $1000/month into savings, $250/m into DRIPs, and an extra $650/month onto our primary residence. Our property net cash has just been sitting in a separate savings (30K) in case vacancies spike or we need a new roof. I put roughly 500/month into RRSPs through my work.

Thanks for the replies!

Also, we don't manage the properties ourselves but yes they still take work.

Quote Originally Posted by showmethemoney45 View Post
    TFSA is held in cash-(yes I know this is bad)
    RRSP's (don't know-I'm with Sunlife and doing a medium risk stew of sorts that they pick)
    DRIP's I've been putting only $250/month sort of for fun as my skill level is so low.

I was just on mat leave so that slowed us down for the last year and a half.

Currently we are putting $1000/month into savings, $250/m into DRIPs, and an extra $650/month onto our primary residence. Our property net cash has just been sitting in a separate savings (30K) in case vacancies spike or we need a new roof. I put roughly 500/month into RRSPs through my work.

Thanks for the replies!
    Currently between your RRSP and stocks you DRIP, you're putting in $750 / month into your investment accounts, correct?
    Are you looking for advice on how to find room in your budget to increase that amount - if so we'd need to see your budget.
    Are you looking for advice/ideas on how to invest these funds - if so we'll need to know details about what exactly you're invested in.
    Couch potato journey-Hidden Content .
    Child's RESP-Hidden Content .

You guys seem to spend quite a bit. Perhaps there is more you could cut back on to increase that $2000/month savings? You net somewhere around $17,000/month? I would think you could save $5000/month easily without too much trouble or hardship.

What line of work is your husband in, BTW?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast