Quote Originally Posted by Xoron View Post
    ???
    Specs include:
    Communication:

• 10/100/1000 LAN Ethernet
    • WLAN 802.11 a/b/g/n
    • Bluetooth v 4.0
    • Webcam
    I missed that. I was looking on a different site that included reviews and it didn't list an ethernet port and one of the reviewers commented about there being no LAN port. So much for accurate reviews...

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
    I think it's what's referred to as a hybrid drive (combines both HDD and SSD in one drive). A cost effective alternative to a full SSD. I've never compared the two but I think I'm leaning towards SSD.

edit: or after further review it could actually be 2 separate drives.
    Yeah, I think hybrid drives have any cache built into the HDD packaging - they are designed as drop-in replacements for an HDD. I think this is Intel's Smart Response caching. Presumably, you could replace the 8GB with a real M.2 SSD for primary use if desired, assuming the innards are accessible?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernRaven View Post
    Yeah, I think hybrid drives have any cache built into the HDD packaging - they are designed as drop-in replacements for an HDD. I think this is Intel's Smart Response caching. Presumably, you could replace the 8GB with a real M.2 SSD for primary use if desired, assuming the innards are accessible?
    It suggests the intel technology needs at least a 16 GB SSD, so this is likely the 8gb of flash on the hybrid hard drive.
    Apparently there is research that 8GB is sufficient for significant performance improvements.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

It is a nice looking laptop. I've used SSDs and Spin disks, and SSD wins hands down. Best bang for your buck upgrade you can get these days.

But, I've never played around with one of these hybrid drives. Sounds interesting, and with limited drive options on a laptop (most only support a single SATA disk), it might be a good choice as a "desktop" replacement. I'd be inclined to go with the hybrid.

Well now I went out and realized the Dell 15 7000 with the 4th gen i7 is getting cleared out, and is very competative in the $950&1050 prices, with a great screen.

Not sure the upgrade to 5th gen i7 & 4k is worth $300-400 more.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatt View Post
    Well now I went out and realized the Dell 15 7000 with the 4th gen i7 is getting cleared out, and is very competative in the $950&1050 prices, with a great screen.

Not sure the upgrade to 5th gen i7 & 4k is worth $300-400 more.
    Do you mean Dell Inspiron 15 7000 laptops? Dell Canada seems to show the 4G i7 at $999 and $1249 - are there $950/$1050 sale prices elsewhere on the site?

The Broadwell (5th Gen) chips are a process shrink and incremental improvements on the Haswell (4th Gen) CPUs. The big advantages will be lower power (and thus better battery life), with I think good but modest CPU performance improvements at the same clock speed, and improved graphics.

The Dell's with 5th Gen seem to have added a discrete AMD Radeon graphics GPU, rather than use the onboard Intel HD 5500 from the i7. I'm not sure if the Intel underperformed (they used the equivalent HD 4400 on the 4th Gen), or if it didn't do all they wanted with those new 4K resolution displays. They could have chosen an i7 variant that had the better HD6100 graphics (this will be what Apple uses); I don't know how the Radeon compares.

Do you mean Dell Inspiron 15 7000 laptops? Dell Canada seems to show the 4G i7 at $999 and $1249 - are there $950/$1050 sale prices elsewhere on the site?
    Take a look at the "Deal" section on Dell's website:
    http://www.dell.com/ca/p/deals?~ck=m...r-laptop-deals

$949-$1199 (Inspiron 7000)

The XPS is the only one with a SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
    Take a look at the "Deal" section on Dell's website:
    http://www.dell.com/ca/p/deals?~ck=m...r-laptop-deals

$949-$1199 (Inspiron 7000)

The XPS is the only one with a SSD
    Seems a little sleazy that if you put the Inspiron 15 7000/12GB config in your card from its main area it is $1000 but $950 from the Deal page, on the same site!

It looks like you can't actually customize most of those Inspirons for memory and storage, just various Dell prepackages? I must say I find the whole slice-and-dice matrix of Dell choices rather baffling.

Seems a little sleazy that if you put the Inspiron 15 7000/12GB config in your card from its main area it is $1000 but $950 from the Deal page, on the same site!

It looks like you can't actually customize most of those Inspirons for memory and storage, just various Dell prepackages? I must say I find the whole slice-and-dice matrix of Dell choices rather baffling.
    Customization was one of the reasons I use to really like Dell. I thought that was how they originally marketed / branded the company. Approximately 10yrs ago I was able to fully configure / updgrade an Inspiron laptop the way I wanted it. It seems like the only upgrades outside of the packages are accessories?

Fwiw ... when I bought my Lenovo T510 years ago, I noted that on the US website the configuration I wanted was available and on sale at considerable savings (but not on the Canadian site). Using the online chat, I discussed with the Canadian salesperson ... after a few minutes she came back with ... we can give you that configuration and at the sale price.

Will that work with Dell? Don't know, but if anyone's considering a Dell, might be worth a look ...

If money isn’t bringing you happiness, you aren’t spending it right …

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast