Less than 5 years to go for retirement - Strategy for critique - Page 10
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Less than 5 years to go for retirement - Strategy for critique

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyMyOpinion View Post
    This is the song that never ends, Yes it goes on and on my friends ...

I am personally much more comfortable making those decisions through my 60's rather than waiting until my 70's and beyond.
    This is a good point and one I've thought of. Hopefully I'll be like my parents (in terms of mental clarity) but better (in terms of physical wellness).

It's been 3 months since I've retired (my wife continues to work) and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Part of it is to not have to deal with questionable decisions (not unethical or illegal!) by management and the pressures and stress from a sales position that requires extensive travel.

I've got a nice routine with my volunteering gig and it provides a welcome social aspect where I can have a few laughs while doing something which helps those much less fortunate than I am.

I've taken a cruise soon after retiring and next month I'm off for nearly a month long trip to New Zealand and Australia. I wanted my dad to see these places before he gets any older and I know he wouldn't have done this on his own.

I was under the weather around Christmas so I read seven books over 9 days - that's more than I probably have read in the past two years! Really enjoyable books and the unadulterated pleasure of being so selfish with my time was a bonus.

I'm spending a bit more time trading and have figured out a much less risky strategy that's paying off nicely. Our portfolio is up more than $100k since we retired. YOY our NW is up significantly not in any small part because the entire market is up massively since last year at this time. I had grossly underestimated the value of our house, but even adjusting for that our NW has increased just about $500k YOY.

Half a mill up in a year and portfolio up $100k in a quarter? More please! One more year like that and my wife promised she will retire, too.

More than half of our portfolio remains in cash to minimize the risk of getting walloped by a market correction as well as having capital ready to deploy when things go on sale.

Our nest should be empty this year. That will allow us to get the house ready for sale making the process easier. My wife is appreciative that I've taken over the vast majority of the house work. Getting the kids to step up hasn't gone as smoothly but it's better than it was.

My 2002 SUV is giving me real problems with the transmission in cold weather. So it looks like a newer vehicle will be required before next winter - that will be a big expense for the year.

I cashed in a small RRSP (it was a TD mutual fund based on the Nasdaq) and I've told my wife to stop contributing to her RRSP and concentrate on her TFSA. She still contributes to her work DPSP and she will be vested this year.

All in all, it's been a nice first three months. I started this thread just over two years ago and it's rewarding to see our 5 year plan didn't take nearly so long. Usually it works the other way.

I still feel like there isn't enough time to do everything but that's also because there seems to be so much more enjoyable things to do.

It's great to hear things are going well for you. You struck a chord with me, as I am about thirteen months from my retirement goal and work in Sales, too. I'm so looking forward to not having the corporate pressure and the monotonous travel to deal with any longer.
    Last edited by Dilbert; 2017-02-05 at 01:59 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Good for you, Dilbert. I hope each day you look forward to it a little bit more and it makes food taste better, and flowers smell sweeter.

What I haven't mentioned is that two companies with whom I worked in strategic partnership while at my last employer have asked me to unretire.

I can't see myself doing it. One wants a full time contract position and the other a part time contract position.

The part time job leaves me plenty of time to do other things that I need and want to do. But, after paying both portions of CPP and with RRSP and capital gains and dividends and interest income, I'll be left with less than half probably.

The full time will pay very well but it brings back the stress and wipes out my ability to do what I want when I want.

Not too appealing right now in either situation.

I hear you, I annually get some some fairly generous stock awards that vest over three years at a rate of one third a year. Some I am going to have to walk away from ultimately, as I must be employed by them in order for the vest to occur. The stress and hassle of continuing to work just to receive them, just isn't worth it to me. Not an easy decision, but I'm okay with it.

If it isn't clear that I'm not cut from the conservative cloth of investing, here is an example.

I am holding a hedged position in Natural Gas (a calendar spread) and while it is in a significant unrealized gains position with a lot more room to move in my direction, it wasn't always so.

Thanks to a massive run-up coinciding with the winter high and contract rollover, our margin account was at a pretty low point on December 28th. But, I knew that time was on my side. Even though it dropped almost 15% from the previous day close. A few days later, when we started the New Year with markets open on January 2nd, that account was up 16.5% on the day.

So, with patience, and some additional trading in commodities , our margin account is up 48% since then which marks a multi year high.

I doubt many people, especially retirees, would be able to live with that kind of volatility in their second biggest asset. Hence why I'm not an example to follow and learn from, except as perhaps a counter example.

Don't strain your collective necks shaking your heads.

Quote Originally Posted by janus10 View Post
    If it isn't clear that I'm not cut from the conservative cloth of investing, here is an example.

I doubt many people, especially retirees, would be able to live with that kind of volatility in their second biggest asset. Hence why I'm not an example to follow and learn from, except as perhaps a counter example.

Don't strain your collective necks shaking your heads.
    I would have thought that most would consider me the most reckless around here. I hereby bow down to the fearless leader.

My wife is taking a LOA with the intent of retiring the following year. She and you have certainly well benefited from "sequence of returns risk" upon retirement. It was a stunning year at this end for the portfolio.

Enjoy your retirement.

hboy54

Had a breakthrough in the margin account. Yes, it's been a great trading month, but that's only part of it (no weed stocks have ever been part of my investment portfolio). With the recent tanking of Natural Gas, the margin account is 3x what it was on Feb 12 2016. Now up $270k just from late December when Natural Gas hit its peak.

Good thing, too. My 2002 Santa Fe is starting to have some serious transmission problems. I should go eat Chinese and see if my fortune cookie says "You will be transported in new surroundings"

Next month should be quiet as I will be on the other side of the world. Hopefully, nothing spooks the market until I get back.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910