The New Mod Team and Site Rules
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Mod Team and Site Rules

The New Mod Team and Site Rules

Good Afternoon all

I'm creating this thread to address a number of issues. Firstly being that I fear we didn't properly introduce the two new moderators that we've added. They are

*the-royal-mail
    and
    *cainvest

I'd like to thank them both for volunteering to help clean up the abundance of spam that we were having.

That said, I have seen a lot of reports of deleted threads and heavy moderation.

As such I'd like to open this discussion so that we can clear the air and get this relation restarted on the right foot so to speak.

Members and Mods are asked to air their grievances in a polite and rational manner. I ask that no one dismiss anyone else's arguments and points, if you can't respond to an argument then don't. The goal of this discussion is to come to an agreement that can serve the best interest of all involved, if it starts to derail and over heat then I'll start pm-ing those involved and if need be close the thread temporarily. I've posed the suggestion to the mod team of having a sub section of general discussion that only members can access where hot button topics can be discussed. That way members and new guests can peruse the site unimpeded by arguments that may get deemed offensive. So maybe we can start with this option as a jump off point and go from there. We're all adults here and this is a community, so lets get things back on track.
    Regards

Kyle, Community Support Team

Thank you for starting this.

Would you please confirm that users will not be banned for posting here provided the posts are respectful. Even if the post goes against the beliefs of the moderators therefor controversial. I have already had my thought out posts deleted which and spent time composing, and have been threatened with a ban if I continue to post concerns.

Please provide this assurance otherwise it is not worth taking my time to post just to have it deleted and then threatened to be banned again. I am at the point where I no longer want to post for the fear of wasting my time and being threatened and have started deleting all of my previous posts.
    Last edited by Plugging Along; 2014-12-29 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Spelling and typos

Quote Originally Posted by cmfadmin View Post
    I've posed the suggestion to the mod team of having a sub section of general discussion that only members can access where hot button topics can be discussed. That way members and new guests can peruse the site unimpeded by arguments that may get deemed offensive
    Seems fair to me. Everyone will have to come to some sort of compromise, otherwise the forum runs the risk of falling apart.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cmfadmin View Post

That said, I have seen a lot of reports of deleted threads and heavy moderation.
    Thank you for this, as I & other members were about to leave the forum, and the reason for my public post yesterday.

The heavy moderation has resulted in the banning of a couple of long-time members. Will this be reviewed? IMHO, the bannings were completely unfair & members should be reinstated.

Quote Originally Posted by Plugging Along View Post
    Thank you for starting this.

Would you please confirm that users will not be banned for posting here provided the posts are respectful. Even if the post goes against the beliefs of the moderators therefor controversial. I have already had my thought out posts deleted which and spent time composing, and have been threatened with a ban if I continue to post concerns.

Please provide this assurance otherwise it is not worth taking my time to post just to have it deleted and then threatened to be banned again. I am at the point where I no want to post for the free of wasting my time and being threatened. and have started deleting all of my previous posts.
    Provided that they are not offensive, disrespectful, or accusatory they will not be deleted. When it doubt, if you wouldn't say it in an office don't say it in this thread.

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto.gal View Post
    Thank you for this, as I & other members were about to leave the forum, and the reason for my public post yesterday.

The heavy moderation has resulted in the banning of a couple of long-time members. Will this be reviewed? IMHO, the bannings were completely unfair.
    I'll ask that you present your arguments for this to be reviewed. Depending on the case I may be inclined to consider it or not. In the case of one that I'm sure we can both think of no. Not for a while anyway once we get all of this settled.

Kyle

How about reviewing the very first member to be banned for now, that of Beaver101? My argument is simply that this member had not violated any forum rules, and especially not rule #11, EVER!

Simple dislike of a member[s] is NO reason for banning/censoring.

Thank you for your consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto.gal View Post
    How about reviewing the very first member to be banned for now, that of Beaver101? My argument is simply that this member had not violated any forum rules, and especially not rule #11, EVER!

Simple dislike of a member[s] is NO reason for banning/censoring.

Thank you for your consideration.
    I'll ask the new mods to please address this before I weigh in.

Kyle

Let me start with that I do not want to offend anyone, neither you the CST, the new moderators nor any CMF members. I want to use one example from an existing thread where the problem lies. Please have a look at the following three quotes from thread "who is doing your tax return?" and pay attention to the parts which I bolded
    posted by PairierGal post 15: For many years I used Turbo Tax to do my return, but the last couple of years I have used Studio Tax. Turbo Tax walks you through the process a little more, asking questions along the way about various deductions you may qualify for. You can Netfile using either program, and Studio Tax is by donation.
    Note: PrairieGal is a member since May 2009
    Next post # 16: MOA mentions Turbo Tax. MOA is a member since Sep 2012
    Next post # 19: JordoR mentions Turbo Tax. JordoR is a member since Aug 2013
    Then post #22 Rebecca member since Aug 2014, first post ever
    I have used Studio Tax for years and love it. Very straight-forward and FREE!
    Then post #23 brand new member Koogie, member since Dec 2014, this is his 6th post
    Did our tax returns (and occasionally for friends) by hand for many years. Then had used Quick Tax (Turbo) for years after but an online forum introduced me to Studio Tax last year. I liked it the best of all the free online softwares. Used it and was impressed. Will probably use it again this year.
    All of the old and brand new members mentioned the program "Turbo tax" or "Studio Tax" in their posts - but only Rebecca and Koogie, the new members got pulled out and exposed to the public as possible spammers by the-royal-mail. Why? Did he think that these newcomers wanted to advertise programs which have been mentioned in numerous CMF threads. Or is it because somebody is new - everything is suspicious what they write about? If the new moderator had been a little bit more careful he would have realized that Rebecca's and Koogie's posts were entirely in line with the thread.

The problem lies in the knowledge - how much knowledge do the moderators (not pointing at anyone particularly) have to be able to judge what is advertising and what is useful information to the forum. Same as what HaroldCrump pointed out in a post yesterday (which I can't find anymore) that certain topics are controversial and do touch political issues as economies and politics are so much interwoven (that's not what Harold said but that was my simple interpretation).

Without blaming or criticising the new forum owners but this did not happen when CC and FrugalTrader ran the forum. As far as I remember, member The-Royal-Mail did also help them out to sort out spammers but we never had a problem like we have now. I think he worked quietly in the background. The problem is that there are not controversial issues discussed in threads the forum itself has become controversial - and if you look at it from a business/company viewpoint - that is usually a management problem. Volunteers are good and fine but they too have to have guidelines and they too have to be managed.

CMF has been a very well-organized, extremely valuable financial forum. It is important that we do not lose any of this and any of the long-time members who are valued by us, the members, for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by PuckiTwo View Post

1. Same as what HaroldCrump pointed out in a post yesterday (which I can't find anymore) that certain topics are controversial and do touch political issues as economies and politics are so much interwoven (that's not what Harold said but that was my simple interpretation).
    2. the forum itself has become controversial - and if you look at it from a business/company viewpoint - that is usually a management problem.
    3. CMF has been a very well-organized, extremely valuable financial forum. It is important that we do not lose any of this and any of the long-time members who are valued by us, the members, for what they are.
    1. Quoting Harold: 'On the other hand, moderators need to be flexible enough since finance & economics often borders into geo-political territory. It is not possible to discuss matters like oil, gold, commodities, etc. without reference to geo-politics.'

2. And IMHO, the ones that have been violating certain forum rules, have not been the members, who happen to have a legal right to enjoy a forum without being unfairly censored/silenced/threatened, as has been the case as mentioned upthread.

3. In the past, little to no moderation had worked very well, because very few were the trouble-makers, and to this day, that fact has not changed.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast