The New Mod Team and Site Rules - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Mod Team and Site Rules

I would also point out that the threads are public, read by many more people than those who post. By deleting all public questioning of the mods decisions, because the reasons were given in PMs doesn't help those of us who read the "controversial" postings but saw nothing wrong.

Maybe a public explaination or warning would have helped.
    I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

I do mean this to be respectful, but to also provide insight on what I see the issue is here:

1. deletion of offending posts and threads and the clarification posted in this thread:
    http://canadianmoneyforum.com/showth...al-discussions

This was one of the responses I received. I believe that there is inconsistent application why things are being deleted. Saying something is off topic is fine, but be consistent. Also, I think the moderators have become overly suspicious to newbies. They are being treated as Spammers even though other may not agree yet. My suggestion is treat newbies and everything with a some respect and give them the same benefit of doubt you would want for yourself. If they are not CLEARLY advertising or attacking the monitor them, and wait and see. I have to admit the spammer are getting quite good and I understand the challenge of telling the difference, but if you have to ask, then give them the benefit of doubt.

2. send user a PM clarifying what was done (in some cases with these users we sent numerous PMs and warnings) and recommending they improve their behavior

There were no improvements or suggestions in my PM's received. Other than I received the same posted above, and told to stop posting. I do think there needs to be a SAFE place/process where those who feel their posts are unfairly moderated to have it reviewed. This was never required before, but we never had such a tight moderation.

3. further posts, especially those with publicly post private PMs with members and berate the moderator(s), questioning in public what was already explained in the PM will result in an infraction placed against the user's account and final warning.

Again, to point 2, resending links to why something is being moderated doesn't get at the root. If it doesn't get handled privately, then one should not hide in a PM and it should put forward publicly. If a moderator has their mind made up, will they really change it? Probably no number of private messages will be solved. If the moderator is so sure of their decision, they should be able to clarify it public. Once should be able to post what they did private in the open.

4. in some cases, the user sat here on the forum and continually reposted the same content over and over, after we had already posted private and public warnings to cease the posts. In other cases, users continued to create new public threads about our response to their behaviour in an effort to turn their poor behaviour into a public quoting and flame war on the forum. These posts used inflammatory language in order to attract attention and increase post count presumably.

I am actually not sure if this is directed at me, but I will provide benefit doubt that it is something else, and that you are not calling my behavior poor because I am able substantiate my concerns. I have used quoting extensive (I realize probably too much) because I wanted to provide specific concrete examples, rather than speak in generalities where no one understands the context.

I have no idea why one would want to increase post count when you have more than 100 or so. I am personally trying to delete many of mine, and it's a pain.

I also don't understand this problem with page counts.

To me, it shows discussion is going on. People are sharing ideas. I've recently started on a different forum where there may be 10 postings in a day. While the discussion is of good quality, there's certainly not a lot of reason to go there often.

Or are you talking about individual post counts? I don't think anyone really tries to drive those up though.
    Last edited by Just a Guy; 2014-12-18 at 05:56 PM.
    I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy View Post
    I would also point out that the threads are public, read by many more people than those who post. By deleting all public questioning of the mods decisions, because the reasons were given in PMs doesn't help those of us who read the "controversial" postings but saw nothing wrong.

Maybe a public explaination or warning would have helped.
    I think this is an excellent suggestion, and so much more concise than me.

If one posts something that is clearly inappropriate or controversial then go ahead, delete and ban.

I still didn't see anything wrong with my posts and other that have been deleted. Reposting the same link about the new forum moderation is no help. Give the specifics.

Everyone should be held accountable for their posts and there should be transparency.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
    "They're trying to decide which soup to have!"
    Nemo, you are priceless!

I appreciate being able to air my concerns. I am not sure if there was a specific outcome the CMFAdmin was looking for.

The moderators do not want to engage, and that is fine. However, for the outcomes I am looking for are the following:

1. I would like that my 'infraction' be officially rescinded and if any of the other two emails be considered infractions also be officially rescinded and it needs to be communicated to the other moderators. If they are not rescinded, I would like to know SPECIFICALLY what rules I broke and please provide quote or direct evidence.

2. Concerns should be allowed to be posted openly and freely, providing they are respectful, even if they do go against the moderators personal opinions. This should not be deemed controversial. Guidance that posts are controversial, for the purpose of attacking a member or group, NOT disagreement or differing opinions.

3. Posts that are not financially related but in the general discussion are safe to post as long as they are not attacking a group or member. Or get rid of the section.

4. If there are new rules, for them to first be communicated with, I suggest using the 'Rules thread', and then for them to be consistently applied.

5. A process for escalation or mediation if there are disagreements.

I put these out because I don't see that I have resolution to my concerns.

Re post #9 by PuckiTwo.

I wasn't aware of the TurboTax incident. Banning users for discussing TurboTax on a financial forum is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. Sorry for yelling.

The person who made that call is not suitable to be a moderator. Full stop. The call shows complete lack of sound judgement and common sense. You cannot teach common sense.

Just because someone volunteers to do a job doesn't mean they are qualified to do the job.

I for one hope this place can get back on a better footing like it seemed to before. Too much questionable control and drama for my liking at the present. I'd like to stay here.

Thanks for all those taking time to post input and for those in charge making the decisions.

I'm fairly new judging by my join date and posts count. I hardly comment/post this year especially, as it has become less interesting and also 1-2 posters are in my opinion selectively in a "bullying" mode ( not to me, but some others) which in my opinion is uncalled for. I didn't even know that this debate of tighter moderation and posts/ threads deletion have been raging recently.

Let me share my opinion about newbies been banned or posts deleted wrt to the Turbo Tax issue. We should give newbies the benefit of doubt unless their comments become overly zealous in promotion or trolling/shilling. For newbies, especially those who are coming in to learn about investment and finance, sometimes it is easier to break into the forum community by contributing/ posting on issues where they have personal experience and/ or anecdotal evidence of in less dense issues ( non investment/finance related) such as tax filing systems, favourite songs/movies, cars - basically Genearl Discussion topics. As they get more engaged their confidence and participation will grow.

Anyone I may have offended over the past years, I apologize. I hope some of my favourite posters will not quit this Forum. I will follow them if they let me know their new handles elsewhere.

Finally, in this season of Happy Holidays/ Hanukkah/Merry Christmas let us all be loving, magnanimous and work together to lift up this Forum as a beacon of a good, fun- loving and caring online community serving each other to be successful in our investment and personal plans. I wish ALL here - A Merry Christmas & A Blessed & Joyous 2015; good health and a wonderful time ahead.
    Last edited by bayview; 2014-12-18 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldStone View Post
    Re post #9 by PuckiTwo.

I wasn't aware of the TurboTax incident. Banning users for discussing TurboTax on a financial forum is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. Sorry for yelling.

The person who made that call is not suitable to be a moderator. Full stop. The call shows complete lack of sound judgement and common sense. You cannot teach common sense.

Just because someone volunteers to do a job doesn't mean they are qualified to do the job.
    I agree. Ask the poster to explain their reasoning and their experience but do not delete because they are newbies. They might be newbies with 25 years experience.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast