Difference between RSP & RRSP

Thread: Difference between RSP & RRSP

Difference between RSP & RRSP

I've seen some stuff that says there is a difference and other things says they are exactly the same. Is there any actual difference? Does the plan RSP have any tax advantages?

Quote Originally Posted by dilbert789 View Post
    I've seen some stuff that says there is a difference and other things says they are exactly the same. Is there any actual difference? Does the plan RSP have any tax advantages?
    I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that "RSP" is just a short form for "RRSP". You save one letter and it's easier to spell out.
    Mike Holman
    Money Smarts Blog Investing and Personal Finance

Administrator CanadianCapitalist's Avatar
    RSP. RRSP. Same thing, AFAIK.
    Canadian Capitalist -- Helping you invest & prosper

Quote Originally Posted by dilbert789 View Post
    The first R is for Registered.
    Therefore, RRSP explicitly flags it as a true, registered plan subject to all the RRSP rules and regulations.
    On the other hand, RSP could theoretically be any retirement savings plan, not necessarily registered.
    I know that's a weak distinction, but that's all I can think of.
    I'd imagine 99.99% of the time, RSP and RRSP are the same thing.
    But for the other 0.01% time, some TLA challenged dude might use the term RSP loosely.

What's the difference between a mortgage and an "unmortgage"? Nothing really

ING likes to make up their own names to be special

Please note that when we say "RSP" - we do mean "RRSP". What's the difference you ask? We eliminated one of the R's since that's the way most people say it - RSP. Just another little way we keep things simple. So don't worry, our RSP is indeed a Registered Retirement Savings Plan once it's registered with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). And it really does grow.
    When everyone thinks the same they don't think at all

Quote Originally Posted by mode3sour View Post
    What's the difference between a mortgage and an "unmortgage"? Nothing really

ING likes to make up their own names to be special
    On a faintly related note - my mother likes to call RESPs "resps" (one word) rather than spell it out. I keep telling her that's not how to say it, but she doesn't listen.
    Mike Holman
    Money Smarts Blog Investing and Personal Finance

Depends on what the "R" stands for.

If it's "registered," there are a couple of different options: RESP, RRSP, RDSP, RPP (and TFSAs are also "registered," but don't include the magic R). These are all "registered savings plans."

"Registered" implies registered for tax-deferral purposes with CRA. (This is why TFSAs don't have an "R" in their name - there's no tax deferral.)

If the R stands for "Retirement," there are many different "Retirement savings plans," from buying a condo in Florida to investing in anything from horses to uranium to purchasing GICs. This just implies saving for retirement, no matter how you do it.

These are the exact responses that I pretty much expected... most say they are the same, others say they may not be. I ask as I received my statement from Investors Group the other day that said I have a small RSP account plan that I was thinking of transferring to my Questtrade TFSA so I could play around with it myself. However if its actually an RRSP I'll probably just leave it alone... I guess I should make a phone call!