Canadian Money Forum banner

If I've signed up for direct deposit for tax refunds, am I signed up for automatic

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ian 
#1 · (Edited)
payments?

Let me explain. For the last few years, I've received an income tax refund (usually under 100 bucks). The refund has been directly deposited into my bank account. I signed up for this service several years ago.

For the first time, in many years, I had a balance owing (120 bucks). I've filed my return electronically with CRA. Will this balance owed be automatically withdrawn from my bank account?

I've gone to my netfile account, the assessment has been completed. When I check to see my balance it says: 2009 Balance: 122 debit.

The word "debit" leads me to believe that the balance owed will be "debited" from my bank account. But, this has not happened yet.

Anyone know if payments for balances owed are automatically withdrawn, just like refunds are deposited?

Thanks for any insight you may have.

#6 ·
We have both been paying by instalments for nine plus years.

Getting a refund does not mean no instalments the following year. I had one on my 2019 return. The refund actually represented a refund of some of the instalment monies that I had remitted for 2019. The impact was that my required 2020 instalments are less than those in 2019....but they are still required.

Rather than take a refund I directed it to my 2020 instalment account.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.