A New Chapter - Tracking Progress - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: A New Chapter - Tracking Progress

Finally got notice of bonus yesterday and it was more than I expected. I didn't know how my new unit's bonus worked but I was remaining cautiously optimistic. Total of the two bonuses is $4500 before taxes.

Part of that is paying back my trip to Mexico an another part will go towards rebuilding my business attire wardrobe as I'll be in suits much more often beginning this summer. Should still have a bit left over to save/invest though. Pretty pleased as it bumps my expected salary for 2017 to around $67,000.

Liabilities
    Debt: $0

Assets
    Cash: $150
    Emergency Fund: $5000
    TFSA #1 (invested with Tangerine Balanced Growth): $26,670
    TFSA #2 (invested with Questrade - VAB 10% VCN 30% XAW 60%): $7000
    Employer RRSP (invested in Sun Life 2050 target fund): $4225
    Employer DCPP (invested in Sun Life 2050 target fund): $8900

Net Worth: $51,900

Nice, I just knocked off a cool milestone today. Bonus was paid and although I've spent some of it, I was able to dump a good chunk into my investments.

Pleased with beginning of 2017 as I've added ~$10k to my net worth since Jan 1.

Nice work on the bonus! You're obviously killing it at your job.

Check out Suit Supply for ordering a few fly suit that are cheaply priced.

50k is indeed a good milestone, congrats! 100k feels great too! After 100k it gets kind of boring though... At 300k+ now, money is starting to feel abstract, just numbers on a screen... big swings up or down (multi 10k's) barely have any emotional effect at all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    Nice work on the bonus! You're obviously killing it at your job.

Check out Suit Supply for ordering a few fly suit that are cheaply priced.

50k is indeed a good milestone, congrats! 100k feels great too! After 100k it gets kind of boring though... At 300k+ now, money is starting to feel abstract, just numbers on a screen... big swings up or down (multi 10k's) barely have any emotional effect at all.
    Thanks man. Definitely rewarding watching the numbers climb.

And thanks for the tip. Pretty sure I'll be picking up a couple of suits from Spier & Mackay next time they have a sale. I'll be in TO next week on business so I can try some on and nail down sizing in advance.

Liabilities
    Debt: $0

Assets
    Cash: $40
    Emergency Fund: $5000
    TFSA #1 (invested with Tangerine Balanced Growth): $26,915
    TFSA #2 (invested with Questrade - VAB 10% VCN 30% XAW 60%): $8500
    Employer RRSP (invested in Sun Life 2050 target fund): $4250
    Employer DCPP (invested in Sun Life 2050 target fund): $8975

Net Worth: $53,650

Did some personal spending and moved this month, so that slowed the growth a bit. Still managed to add almost $1500 to Questrade investments. Should have an ~$800 employee referral bonus paid at the end of May.

About to step into a new hobby though, which will come with some startup costs.

slow and steady wins the race! looking good with the net worth growth. up nearly 2k since your march update! if you keep that up that (estimated) 24k per year after taxed dollars that you can deploy to work for you!

Good work. You are on the right track. I think you are around 31 years old now ? You have good habits for the future.

Question: you moved again? why? How much did it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by redsgomarching View Post
    slow and steady wins the race! looking good with the net worth growth. up nearly 2k since your march update! if you keep that up that (estimated) 24k per year after taxed dollars that you can deploy to work for you!
    Thanks.

I actually opened that Questrade account this year, so the $8500 is invested from this year with a small amount carried from December. That means I'm averaging about $2000 invested in TFSA each month, plus the employer accounts. Unfortunately the RRSP and DCPP both lost a bit of value in April.

Still on track for goal of $70,000 net worth by 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by cashinstinct View Post
    Good work. You are on the right track. I think you are around 31 years old now ? You have good habits for the future.

Question: you moved again? why? How much did it cost?
    Yup, 31.5 now actually.

Yes, I did move again unfortunately. Not planned but it made sense. Since moving last year I was given a company car, which opened up more options for us as we'd previously tried to stay local to downtown since we biked/walked/bused everywhere. With the car we were able to move a bit outside of downtown and save money. Moreover, hydro costs at our previous place were insane and much higher than the landlord predicted. I'm talking $150/month in the winter with gas heat, in a small 2 bedroom apartment/unit. It was an old house converted into 2 units, and I suspected somewhere an outlet in the other unit was attached to our meter because no matter how much we tried to conserve, it didn't help much. Even while away. Also suspected the ancient appliances were guzzling electricity. Total cost to rent the prior place was nearly $1600/month with utilities.

New place is looking like $1310 + Hydro (have our first gas bill but not Hydro yet), so even if Hydro is as high here (which it shouldn't be) we'll still be saving a good amount monthly.

Gas (car) is paid for by company so moving here doesn't change any other expense for me. It's a townhouse with much more room and a yard, so it's honestly a huge lifestyle upgrade for us. And at a cheaper price. Moving truck cost $80 with some boxes and we had to buy a few small things.

All in all, I'm very happy we did it and finally feel like we're in a place we can call home for a few years at least. Should be saving ~$75-150/month each too, which is nice.
    Last edited by motl; 2017-04-20 at 05:48 PM.

Understood.
    Changing rental is typically less costly.
    Quality of life is important.

One point to watch out is the decoration/painting/while we are at it... you seem to have it under control!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456