A New Chapter - Tracking Progress
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Chapter - Tracking Progress

A New Chapter - Tracking Progress

Old Thread: http://canadianmoneyforum.com/showth...g-Time-to-Plan

Making a new thread now that things are in motion and I actually have a real grasp on my budget and finances. I will be free of my house as of November 1st and will move into a new apartment on the same day. I will use this thread to help track my expenses, savings and, eventually, investments.

I will be moving from Ottawa to Aylmer (across the river in QC), so my take-home salary is estimated based on increased taxes. Numbers below are projected as of November 1st.

Monthly Net Income: $2625
    Savings: $TBD
    Cash: $TBD
    Liabilities: $0
    Assets: Car ($9000 value), although I don't really consider it an asset

Basically, on November 1st I will be 100% debt free but low on savings and assets. I'll have a few thousand left from house sale and such, some of which will go towards moving cost, new furniture, etc. I will update the above categories after November 1st.

Expenses
    Rent: $770 (includes utilities and parking)
    Car Insurance: $90
    Home Insurance: $15
    Internet & TV: $85
    Cell Phone: 45
    Dog: $100
    Netflix + VPN: $13
    Gas: $125
    Total: $1245
    Balance: $1380

Goal will be to save $1000 per month, leaving $375 for food, entertainment and other general spending.

Target for December 2015
    Emergency Fund: $10,000
    Begin Focusing on Maxing TFA

Any input would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by motl; 2014-10-01 at 03:10 PM.

You will probably have to pay installation with Bell too when you move.

Do you need unlimited during the day? Because if not, I recommend start.ca which has unlimited during the night (2am-8am) and 300GB cap for their 25Mbps package - $50. Or, $60 for true unlimited at the same speed level. The modem is $55.

We have been with start for a few years and very happy with the service.

Calling Bell to figure out moving fees and if the rate will be different in QC since I have a promo right now.

I used to use 500gb - 1tb every single month, but lately it's been 200-270gb so 300gb might work. The $65 I quoted above was with Teksavvy, another reseller, but they only offer cable in Aylmer and I'd prefer DSL. Definitely still reviewing internet options. I've looked at a few resellers but hadn't heard of Start. Their 50Mbps package is insanely competitive, but apparently only have DSL up to 15Mbps at my location. I think that is a Bell limitation so I may be stuck with cable.

EDIT: Spoke with Bell and I'm just going to stay with them. Able to keep my current internet package plus basic TV for $85/m taxes in. Everything is ongoing but except the TV, which is $15 off for 1 year. No contract though, so I can either renegotiate next year or look into resellers again. So basically it's $20 more than a reseller, but I get to keep basic TV (useful for sports highlights), retain FIBE FTTH (better than reseller stuff) and avoid paying upfront reseller costs ($150-200) and $75 cancellation fee for my Ontario TV. Overall, saving those upfront costs divided over 12 months makes the price about the same to stay. Confirmed no installation fees and have the option of 50Mbps for $7 more per month if I really want it. Updated OP.

Thanks!
    Last edited by motl; 2014-10-01 at 12:45 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Any way to increase that income? I probably have too high of expectations living in Alberta, but ~$25/hour before tax seems pretty low for your age. The best way to save more money isn't to cut your internet use, it's to make more money.

LOL, well moving to Alberta is something I've considered! The Ottawa job market is pretty trashy if you're not bilingual or working in IT (market is mostly service and sales).

But yes, I'm looking for a new job and hopefully will have something in the next few months. Right now I'd say I'm underemployed (have a graduate degree), but I don't have much experience in my field. Always on the look out for better opportunities, especially jobs that have better room for advancement. Finding a more rewarding job that either pays more or pays the same but has better advancement options is most certainly my biggest short-term goal. I'm trying to get a solid handle on my finances and budget now so that when I do find a better job I will already have a good plan in place - extra income would simply translate to more savings.

Spending 6 months to a year getting a nice cash cushion saved up in a TFSA seems like an excellent idea.

You've just been through a divorce, house sale, and moving. Perhaps more changes to your career/location may be coming up in the next couple years? Having some cash stacked away will give you that confidence and ability to pull the plug if/when a big life or career move presents itself.

Banned
    Follow replicators when you trade. you will make more profit. I follow ctoption replicators.

Meant to update this earlier, but actually had a really hectic end of the year and early 2015. Some of it involved unexpected expenses, but it's smoothing out now. So here's where I stand...

March 1st I started a new job. My salary stayed the same but I gained a pension (4.5% base, extra 3% matched for a total of 10.5%). So in the end I'm coming out ahead, and this job has opportunities for growth and promotions that my old one didn't. I'm hoping to move up quickly, but I should be able to earn a bonus for fiscal 2015 (given out early 2016) and with a year or two of experience I can get a raise at another company if no opportunities here. Below is an updated list of my expenses, debt, savings and goals.

Net Monthly Salary: $2600

Debt: $0

Expenses
    Rent: $780 (includes utilities and parking)
    Car Insurance: $70
    Home Insurance: $15
    Bell (Cell, Internet & TV): $170
    Dog: $80
    Netflix + VPN: $15
    Gas: $160
    Parking: $65
    Total: $1355

Now that things have stabilized, my goal of saving $900-1000 per month should be more realistic.

Current Savings
    Emergency Fund: $1200
    Pension: $156 (only 4.5% for first month of employment, will be 10.5% going forward)

Targets for 2015
    Emergency Fund: $5000
    TFSA: $3000
    Pension: $~3200

Planned Expenses
    NYC Trip (May): $500
    Boston Trip (Sept): $600

Going to look at some ways to try and earn a bit of extra money on the side so I can, at the very least, pay for my trips outside of my regular income and thus add an extra ~$1000 to savings this year.

Been thinking about things...

I'm considering moving back into Ottawa later in 2015. Here's what I'm considering...

If I move, I would save about $2000 in taxes I'll owe QC this year. If I factor that into my current monthly bills, I'm certain I can make Ottawa close to the same price. However, I can definitely make it lower if I sell or park my car.

In Ottawa I could find a nice apartment for say $1000 plus $100 for bus pass.

Compared to current, $770 for apartment, $65 for work parking, $140 for gas, $70 for insurance. Totals about $1040, but that doesn't include the extra ~$180 per month I have to set aside for QC taxes.

Best of all, I could likely get about $8000 for my car (maybe more, being conservative), which would give me my emergency fund and more. Going forward I'd probably save about $200 a month on expenses.

Downside is of course not owning a car. If I lived downtown I think it'd be fine. If right downtown I could walk to work and save more by not buying a bus pass. Ottawa isn't the best city for transit since there are no subway and few LRT options, but I managed for 10+ years and lived in less convenient locations. I enjoy having a car, but I'm not sure it's worth what I'm spending to have it.

The cost of car insurance for me in ON mears I'd roughly break even if I just moved and kept the car. I don't want to ditch the car and regret it, wasting money on another one later. Anyone else ditch their car in a city that isn't TO?

Any thoughts?

If you can use the bus to get to work from Ottawa why can't you use the bus to get to work from where you currently live in Alymer? Which is presumably closer to your work...

I'm skeptical of this plan. How much more physical/mental time and energy is going to take you to commute from Ottawa on bus vs driving from Alymer? Your time is valuable. Spend it on working out those ways to make extra money like you mentioned 2 posts above, not riding buses.
    How much will moving cost? After expenses and a new damage deposit, I can see that $2000 in tax savings getting eaten up pretty damn fast.

Do you have collision insurance? Have you considered dropping it? For an 8k car you probably have no chance of breaking even even with a complete 8k write-off.

Awesome work though man! Glad you are starting to save and get your life back on track after that big shakeup. And I guess it was for the best you didn't take our advice last summer about moving out to Alberta to look for work!.... *Nervous laughter*

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast