A New Chapter - Tracking Progress - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A New Chapter - Tracking Progress

Quote Originally Posted by motl View Post
    I need to decide before end of 2016. If I am moving to ETFs then I need to withdraw my Tangerine portfolio out of TFSA so I need to decide pretty soon.
    I'd leave the Tangerine as-is. Start putting new funds into Questrade in 2017 (how much room you got? $5,500 at least..) and use that money/time in 2017 to choose your plan and ETFs.

Then if you're happy with how Questrade is working, move everything out of Tangerine at end of 2017.

Right. I typically add to my investments once every month, although sometimes more often. I've looked at Questrade and it seems like a good solution that will help improve my returns long-term.

My only uncertainty is rebalancing. Is it typically easy enough to 'rebalance' through purchases instead of having to sell X to buy more Y? Obviously selling to rebalance has a downside due to the commission fees, but if it can be avoided most of the time then I wouldn't be too concerned. I've also read that some people contribute every quarter instead of every month, to make it easier to rebalance through purchases. Not sure if doing that make sense?

I need to decide before end of 2016. If I am moving to ETFs then I need to withdraw my Tangerine portfolio out of TFSA so I need to decide pretty soon.
    Yes it's very easy to rebalance through purchases. You won't always be 100% balanced, but just always direct your new money to whichever ETF is most below its desired allocation, and you will keep in pretty good balance.

Good advice Spudd. Exactly what I have done over the years, buy what's out of favour or below desired allocation, including stocks and ETFs. Then hold.
    Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    I'd leave the Tangerine as-is. Start putting new funds into Questrade in 2017 (how much room you got? $5,500 at least..) and use that money/time in 2017 to choose your plan and ETFs.

Then if you're happy with how Questrade is working, move everything out of Tangerine at end of 2017.
    Total TFSA contribution right now is around $26,000 but should be closer to $27,000 at the end of the month. So still lots of room total.

Considering your idea, to split the investments for 2017. I plan to do CCP so the Questrade portfolio shouldn't be too hard to get going. Still debating if I'll move everything now though.

Still debating if I'll move everything now though.
    I think you might be too late FYI - You'd need to sell your shares, have them settle, (3 days) then still transfer the funds out of Tangerine (1-2 days). I'm not sure if Tangerine funds have a settlement time though since they aren't on an exchange? Even if its technically still doable by selling right now, you might have an argument with CRA and phone calls to make in your future if it doesn't work out smoothly...

See:
    -Last-Trading-Day-for-2016-Tax-Loss-Selling

You're probably right at this point.

I'll likely just start contributing to QT and if I feel happy with it I can always shift the rest at the end of 2017. Could always transfer it during the year too since QT would cover the fee - just seemed like a hassle though.

Liabilities
    Debt: $0

Assets
    Cash: $1000
    Emergency Fund: $5000
    TFSA (invested with Tangerine Balanced Growth): $26000
    Employer RRSP (invested in Sun Life 2050 target fund): $3200
    Pension (invested in Sun Life 2050 target fund): $7115
    Total Net Worth: $42,300

As mentioned before, my original goal for 2016 was $27,000 NW. Blew it out of the water due to promotions and reduced expenses.

My performance review is coming up soon at work and any raise I received will begin around February I believe. I'll also likely have 1-2 bonuses coming near the end of March. I'm planning a trip to India for March (~$2500) which I expect to be most covered by the bonuses. Not sure what my raise will look like so right now I'm cautiously looking forward based on current salary and spending. Salary will likely rise though and spending could fall if/when my girlfriend and I move in the spring (getting unexpectedly shit on by Hydro).

With my current salary, I will add about $6000 in contributions to RRSP/pension in 2017. My investing goal will be about $2000 per month averaged over the 12 months. That means that I'm hoping to hit minimum $70,000 NW next year, but with raises and potential OT opportunities I think $75,000 is realistic.

Thanks for following along so far. Pretty stoked that $100,000 is coming up within the next ~2 years and am extremely content/happy with how things are progressing. 2016 was a great year so hopefully the momentum continues. Will also be moving my portfolio over to Questrade at some point in 2017 to maximize returns there.

Liabilities

Assets
    Cash: $0
    TFSA #1 (invested with Tangerine Balanced Growth): $26500
    TFSA #2 (invested with Questrade): $3100
    Employer RRSP (invested in Sun Life 2050 target fund): $3900
    Employer DCPP (invested in Sun Life 2050 target fund): $8100

Net Worth: $46,600

Off to a good start here and should pass up my next big milestone ($50k) in March when my bonus is paid. The above numbers include a vacation I just returned from. Ditched the India trip I mentioned previously and instead spent just over 2 weeks traveling around Mexico. Spent about $1600 (flights, accommodations, spending money, kennel for dog). Had fun and pleased it was so cheap. My bonus gets paid in March and should repay what I spent on the vacation, and hopefully more to invest. No big purchases coming up and likely moving in May to reduce living expenses further.

Still waiting to hear about my raise. It should be announced next week and take effect in April.
    Last edited by motl; 2017-02-23 at 10:57 AM.

Looks like girlfriend and I found new home.

Current rent is $1475 + hydro for a 2 bedroom unit in a quasi-duplex. Not sure on total square feet, but it's not much bigger than a standard 2 bedroom apartment. We've had some issues here, and hydro is out of hand ($100 in summer with no AC, $140 in winter with gas heat). With average hydro factored in, all-in rent is nearly $1600.

New townhome rent is $1260 + hydro and gas. We're expecting $150-200 for utilities, so budgeting around $1450 total for new place. Means we should each save about $75 per month. We are moving mid-April and paying half of April at both places, so each will pay out an extra ~$350 so it'll be a few months before we're coming out ahead.

But new place has everything we need. Proper yard for dogs, big basement for storage, close to 900 square feet of living space, etc. A little bummed we couldn't find something with bigger savings, but it seems this is our best option. And every bit of savings helps, plus the bonus to quality of living.

Should know my raise in a few days too.
    Last edited by motl; 2017-03-04 at 01:10 PM.

Liabilities

Assets
    Cash: $0
    TFSA #1 (invested with Tangerine Balanced Growth): $26765
    TFSA #2 (invested with Questrade - VAB 10% VCN 30% XAW 60%): $4560
    Employer RRSP (invested in Sun Life 2050 target fund): $3975
    Employer DCPP (invested in Sun Life 2050 target fund): $8315

Net Worth: $48,600

On the home stretch to 50k. Right now I'm funneling everything into Questrade with the above allocation. I should hit my TFSA cap in late 2017 or early 2018, at which point I'll open an RRSP. Pleased with how this year has started given that I've already taken a vacation.

On a bad note, my annual raise came in lower than expected at 2.85% (about $40 net every 2 weeks). New CEO made cuts and raises were limited this year. Still have bonuses coming at the end of the month, which should put me over the 50k milestone.

On a good note, I won a door prize at an industry event - a $2000 gift certificate for Air Canada Vacations. So looks like next vacation will be stress free money wise! Also still have the second half of an employee referral bonus coming in May ($850).

Below is expected expenses once I move next month.

Monthly
    Income: $3475 (I'm paid biweekly so this number excludes the 2 extra pay cheques per year, which I keep out of general expense planning)
    Rent: $630
    Utilities: $75-100 (estimated)
    Insurance: $7
    Gym: $55
    Phone: $55
    Internet: $40
    Dog: $80
    Netflix/VPN: $15
    Food/Fun: $300

Remainder to be invested: ~$2100-2200

Expenses come in around $15,500 per year based on the above, but that excludes vacations. With them included, it's in the area of $18,000.

Last edited by motl; 2017-03-09 at 12:01 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast